Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

The KEMPINSKI Connection -The beginning ......

Discussion in 'Habari na Hoja mchanganyiko' started by Liganga, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Liganga

Liganga Senior Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Did you ever wonder where on earth an investor is capable of relocating a public

institution just to extend his parking lot or investment area?

The following cable unveils the beginning of the Kempinski Connection

Naanza sikia harufu ya mtu kuwekwa mfukoni mwa mwenzake!!

C O N F I D E N T I A L DAR ES SALAAM 000277

SIPDIS

DEPT FOR INR, R.EHRENREICH

E.O. 12958: DECL: 02/13/2016
    TAGS: PGOV PREL TZ
    SUBJECT: KIKWETE CORRUPTION TIDBIT

Classified By: Ambassador Michael Retzer, Reason 1.5 (d)

¶1. (C) President Kikwete has accepted gifts (bribes) from the owner of the Kempinski Hotel chain,s Tanzanian
    properties, a citizen of the United Arab Emirates.

¶2. (C) In a conversation with the manager and the publicity director of Dar Es Salaam,s Kilimanjaro-Kempinski Hotel
    hours after accompanying A/S Frazer to her October 18, 2005 meeting with then-Foreign Minister Kikwete, I commented on
    Kikwete's flashy attire, asking "Who dresses him?" "We do," they responded. Initially thinking this meant Kikwete
    frequented a men,s shop in the hotel, I learned later in the evening from hotel publicity director Lisa Pile (protect)
    that the hotel owner*UAE citizen Ali Albwardy*had recently flown Kikwete to London for a subsidized shopping
    expedition. Among other things, on that trip Ali Albwardy bought Kikwete five Saville Row suits. He had also recently made a $1
    million cash contribution to the CCM (which is a legal contribution under current Tanzanian law).

¶3. (C) Pile told me the Kempinski Hotel chain is greatly expanding its presence in Tanzania. She said that in
    December it would open "the best hotel in Zanzibar." Her prediction was a little off; the new Kempinski hotel,
    located on the beach on Zanzibar,s east coast, opened January 5. I attended the opening ceremony along with Zanzibari
    President Karume, who was asked publicly by Ali Albwardy for a site in Stone Town to build a new hotel. Later that day, Pile
    revealed that the Zanzibar government had already earmarked for Ali Albwardy a hotel site in Stone Town.

¶4. (C) Pile also said in the October 18 conversation that Ali Abwardy was about to receive the rights to construct two
    new hotels on the mainland: one on the edge of Ngorongoro Crater and another on the Serengeti plain overlooking the main
    animal migration routes. Stringent conservation rules currently ban the construction of permanent structures
    inside national parks*including in the crater and on the Serengeti plain*but Pile said that in November legislation would be
    introduced to parliament to authorize the new hotels. (Comment: We have received no reports on new legislation,
    but the Dar Es Salaam Daily News on January 15 reported that the Tanzania National Parks Authority had approved construction
    of a five star hotel on the Serengeti plain.)

¶4. (C) Later on October 18, over dinner, an Indian/South Asian man described as a business associate of Ali Albwardy
    briefly took Pile from the table for a conversation in Kiswahili. I am not sure what was said, but Kikwete's name
    came up several times and he passed her an envelope. Pile told me the envelope was stuffed with 1 million shillings
    ( $1,000) and was to pay for a Kikwete meeting at the Kilmanjaro-Kempinski later that month. Apparently Kikwete
    is a regular customer, but no name ever appears on the hotel registry when a government bigshot has an "event" in one of
    the guest rooms.

¶5. (C) Bio Note: Lisa Pile, an Australian citizen, has lived in Dar working for Kempinski Hotels since early 2004.
    Before that she had served in a similar capacity with the Kempinski chain in China. Her family in Australia is prominent in
    Australia's Liberal Party (the center-right party of Prime Minister John Howard).

¶6. (C) Comment: What does it all mean? I don,t know, but my guess is that the investor Ali Albwardy has access to
    oil money out of the UAE. I suspect giving free clothes and the campaign donation is just the way these people do business.

¶7. (C) For his part, Kikwete probably thinks having all these five star hotels around is a good idea for the country,and
    I agree with him. His new minister of Natural Resources and Tourism, Anthony Diallo, says he wants to double tourism,s
    contribution to the national economy in ten year,s time. Kikwete probably believes there is no harm in taking these
    &little gifts8 to do what he would have been inclined to do anyway. That said, they are what they are: bribes.

2. Tangawizi

Tangawizi JF-Expert Member

Sep 4, 2011
    bora imekuja weekend ili watu wengi zaidi waisome na kuiongea hii aibu kubwa kabisa

3. MANAMBA

MANAMBA Senior Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Hizi hoteli ambazo kila siku WAMILIKI WAKE WANABADILIKA! Yetu macho

4. B

Bajabiri JF-Expert Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Navuta pumziiiiii,wacha nipumzishe ubongo

5. Bujibuji

Bujibuji JF-Expert Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Kikwete unatia aibu, kwa hili ni vyema ujiudhulu maana moja kwa moja umetajwa kwenye tukio la RUSHWA

6. Mwendabure

Mwendabure JF-Expert Member

Sep 4, 2011
    <br />
    <br />
    Sidhani kama utaweza kupumzika Mkuu! Nchi ya vibweka kila uchao. Nakutakia mapumziko mema bai ze wei.

7. FaizaFoxy

FaizaFoxy JF-Expert Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Mmekosa vya kuandika? hii habari imeletwa mara ya tatu katika nyuzi tatu tofauti. Mnanchekesha!

8. The Son of Man

The Son of Man JF-Expert Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Dah, tunakoelekea siyo kuzuri! Alimchafua sana Mzee Mkapa huyu wakati anaingia madarakani kupitia kwa wana mtandao wenzake sasa yamemkuta, tatizo Mitanzania haizinduki!

9. The Son of Man

The Son of Man JF-Expert Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Kwani umelazimishwa kuisoma? Watu wengine bwana!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Cha Moto

Cha Moto JF-Expert Member

Sep 4, 2011
    That is Serious!
    Kuna mwan JF mmoja alipendekeza kila mkoa liwepo jiwe kubwa la panadol ili tuwe tunapita tunalamba,
    maana hii nchi hakika inaumiza vichwa vya wenye uchungu na nchi!

11. Liganga

Liganga Senior Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Facebook is a web of links, simply showing relationships that various people are sharing.

Think of a facebook person/account named "Kempinski". No doubt in the friends/connection list, there is

1. Kikwete

2. Serengeti

3. Ngorongoro

4. Zanzibar

5. High court of appeal

6. XXXXXXXXXXX

By this fact, what can you say about various Kempinski investments and the controversy around them?

Can you rule out the possibility of corruption?

I think wikileaks and other sources are giving us a chance to construct the web of connections a.k.a "Tanzanias Inner cycles"

If we use these sources intelligently and work as a team, we are about to open the pandora box of this Nation.

12. Raimundo

Raimundo JF-Expert Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Kuna watu wakiona Kikwete kaandikwa vibaya kiroho kinawauma, wakati wao wanajua anawatendaga vizuri we uje uharibu hapa! Hawatakuelewa kamwe. Subiri watakapopigwa chini ndio utajua yote mabaya yake kutoka kwao hao hao.

13. Raimundo

Raimundo JF-Expert Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Wapi Mwita25?

14. k

king kong Senior Member

Sep 4, 2011
    <br />
    <br />
    Tz haina rais kuna mgawaji wa uhuru na mali zetu kwisha.

15. Rich Dad

Rich Dad JF-Expert Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Kikwete kajiharibia! Hii ni aibu

16. O

Olecranon JF-Expert Member

Sep 4, 2011
    This president MUST be impeached. He has proved beyond reasonable doubt to be a huge disgrase to our nation.

17. Gurta

Gurta JF-Expert Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Bora mtu mmoja kuuzwa kwa vipande 30 vya shaba kuliko nchi kuuzwa kwa suti pea 3

18. M

Mutu JF-Expert Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Duh ndio zawadi ya IDD mnayompa tehe tehe....

ilajamaa alijifedhehesha na sasa aibu ya nchi..

19. K

KALABASH JF-Expert Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Could someone tell me why this particular item hasnt been brought out to the public via print media? I believe Tanzanians have a right to know this and I believe we have many media people regurarly
    visiting JF either as members or guests. Wiki leaks cables have in the past been covered by our local press. Why not this one?

20. Elinasi

Elinasi Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Dah,hii inaweza kuwa kweli hii???suti tu???hapana bana,pengine huu ni uzushi..suti tu??????