Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Tehran Preparing For Attack On its Nuclear Sites

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by X-PASTER, May 14, 2009.


    X-PASTER Moderator

    May 14, 2009
    Joined: Feb 12, 2007
    Messages: 11,651
    Likes Received: 71
    Trophy Points: 145
    Report: Tehran preparing for attack on its nuclear sites

    Saudi media quotes top Iranian official as confirming Revolutionary Guard has recently deployed anti-aircraft missile batteries in Persian Gulf following reports of imminent US-Israeli attack on country's nuclear facilities

    Roee Nahmias

    Saudi daily 'Al-Watan' is reporting that over the past several weeks Iran's Revolutionary Guard has deployed several mobile surface-to-air and anti-ship missile batteries in the Strait of Hormuz and other areas in the Persian Gulf.

    The paper attributed to the information to a high-ranking Iranian official. The source added that the decision to deploy the missile batteries was made following recent "secret reports" indicating the United States and Israel are preparing to attack Iran's nuclear facilities.
    According to the official, Tehran alerted neighboring Arab states of the move and stressed that it should not be seen as an act of aggression against them.

    Noting that internal threats should not be ignored, the commander reiterated that Iranian armed forces are always ready to combat enemies and "this readiness has foiled their plots".

    In comments reported by the Fars news agency, Revolutionary Guards chief, General Mohammad Ali Jafari, discussed both the military and non-defense related threats facing Iran over the coming period, considered particularly sensitive due to the upcoming presidential elections next month.

    "Enemies led by the US could try to subvert the Islamic Republic through soft tactics," he warned.
    Jafari has said in the past that "the most important and main mission of Basij (volunteer forces) is confronting the soft threats and cultural invasion which are stealthily targeting (Iranian) youth," Jafari added at the time.

    US Defense Secretary Robert Gates warned last week of Washington's tough response if the Islamic Republic rejects the US dialogue proposal. In his testament before the Senate Appropriations Committee earlier in May, Gates said however that a military attack on Iran's nuclear facilities would not be enough to remove the threat.

    "(It) will only buy us time and send the program deeper and more covert," he said. "Their security interests are actually badly served by trying to have nuclear weapons," Gates said. "They will start a nuclear arms race in the Middle East and they will be less secure at the end than they are now."