Teen’s mother apologises for Quran outrage

BAK

JF-Expert Member
Feb 11, 2007
attachment.php

Over the past few days, Ms Josephat's life has been turned upside down. Our conversations with her reveal a haunted woman, tormented by events that got out of hand. She says since her boy was taken into protective custody a fortnight ago, she is lives in perpetual fear and agony. She could not be a sorrier sight. "I again and again say sorry to all Muslims, wherever they are," she said.

Teen's mother apologises for Quran outrage
Saturday, 27 October 2012 10:55

Florence Majani
The Citizen Correspondent
Dar es Salaam.

The mother of the teen whose actions sparked outrage and religious protests across the city says she is sorry and that her boy's misdeed was the act of a foolhardy child.Ms Teresia Josephat told The Citizen on Saturday in an exclusive interview that she raised 14-year-old Emmanuel Josephat right and that he should have known better. "I didn't raise him to be bad," she said.Two weeks ago the teenager urinated on the Islamic holy book, the Quran over a bet with a Muslim friend that he would lose his sanity or turn into a snake.

His actions set off a chain of events that culminated in violent clashes between Muslim youths and the police in Mbagala during which several churches were looted and torched.In the days that followed Dar es Salaam was on edge as the police rounded up over 122 people in connection with the protests. At least 30 individuals were later charged with theft, vandalism and arson.

Over the past few days, Ms Josephat's life has been turned upside down. Our conversations with her reveal a haunted woman, tormented by events that got out of hand. She says since her boy was taken into protective custody a fortnight ago, she is lives in perpetual fear and agony. She could not be a sorrier sight. "I again and again say sorry to all Muslims, wherever they are," she said.

"I admit my son made a foolish mistake – a mistake that could have been made by any child," she said. "My boy really needs the public's forgiveness and tolerance," said Ms Josephat.

On more than one occasion the tortured mother broke down. "Muslims are my neighbours and relatives. I've leased on property owned by Muslim landlords and have always been at peace with them," she sobbed. "I feel horrible about this," she added.

She still cannot believe how quickly the issue took hold. She admits she was blindsided by events. She said she thought the matter would be resolved within the family, but the protests gathered momentum and before she knew it a lynch mob was baying for the blood of her child.

Following these unfortunate events she has had to deal with whispers and unkind comments and strangers dropping in on her Chamazi home unannounced.In one of the more frightening episodes, two strangers went to her home when she was not around and persuaded one of her other boys to hand over a photo of their brother, Emmanuel.

"When they came, they asked my second born (who is in standard four) to bring them a photo of Emmanuel and he did," said a visibly upset Ms Josephat. She told this reporter she no longer feels safe at her own home. Strangers, she said, keep pointing and taking pictures every time they pass by.

Her chat with The Citizen on Saturday reveals a woman thrust into the limelight and forced to deal with circumstances beyond her control. The first time she heard about the Quran affair was on October 10th.The beleaguered mother insists she would not have known about the incident because she is usually at church in the evenings. That Wednesday, she had come back from service at around 8pm.

"Around 11pm I heard someone knocking," said Ms Josephat. She opened her door to find at least five flashlight-wielding men who promptly told her they had come to take away her boy."One of them was a local leader, Mr Donald Nevere," she said adding, "They told me my son had desecrated the Quran and that they were taking him to the police station."

Emmanuel had to be hustled out of bed and was asked to explain himself. After a brief chat the men took the boy and his mum to a nearby police post where they made formal statements.

They were eventually sent home and were told to report at Chamazi police station on October 12. When they arrived at the police post that Friday mother and son were greeted by crowds of angry Muslim protesters.

She said a police officer told them to get inside the station for their own safety. The situation got so tense that officers at Chamazi were forced to transfer the matter to the Kizuiani station.

"I couldn't say a thing in there," said a visibly frustrated Ms Josephat. As the crowd outside the station grew tension continued to build up and culminated in frustrated protesters pelting the room Emmanuel was being kept in.

Eventually police officials managed to spirit the boy away to safety, according to his mother.Teresia and her husband Joseph Josephat have visited him in protective custody and she told The Citizen on Saturday that he is not doing very well. The teen was arraigned last Monday at the juvenile court in Upanga.

Attachments

• teens.jpg
    teens.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 674
watueleze ameshtakiwa kufanya kosa kinyume na fungu gani? hakustaili kushtakiwa

Siku zote wakati hii swaga inaendelea, nilikuwa nawafikiria sana wazazi wa Huyu mtoto....... Watakuwa wanaishi kwa shida sana.... Pole zao

kwani huyo mwenzie aliyemkabidhi hiyo kurani aikojolee na kukaa pembeni akishuhudia jinsi inavyokojolewa yeye hana makosa? au waislamu wao wanaruhusiwa kuitret kurani tukufu jinsi wanavyotaka?

kwani huyo mwenzie aliyemkabidhi hiyo kurani aikojolee na kukaa pembeni akishuhudia jinsi inavyokojolewa yeye hana makosa? au waislamu wao wanaruhusiwa kuitret kurani tukufu jinsi wanavyotaka?

Kumshitaki aliyekojolea pekee, bila kushitakiwa aliyeshawishi ikojolewe ni sawa na kumleta mwanamke mzinifu kwenye baraza ukitaka apigwe mawe hadi kufa, huku ukimsahau au kumficha mwanaume aliyezini na huyu mwanamke. Kijana wa kiislam alistahili apate kadhia zote anazopata huyu mkojoleaji, la sivyo waislam watuambie wanawafundisha wanao kuwashawishi wasio waislam kukinajisi kitabu chao kitukufu.

Who started this saga? Did the Christian Kid just took the Koran and pee on it, or there was some agreements done behind the closed door?

If there such agreement, why don't they say and let us look for the merits and see if the empirical facts hold water.

Amefanya kitendo cha kiungwana kama mzazi. I can imagine how frustrating this is, and she seems to be a single mother?
Japo ndugu waislamu tungewafundisha watoto wetu kuwa Mungu hawezi kujaribiwa na tusifanye nadhiri ama jokes.zisizokuwa za msingi na watu. You cant bet on sin.

Amefanya kitendo cha kiungwana kama mzazi. I can imagine how frustrating this is, and she seems to be a single mother?
Japo ndugu waislamu tungewafundisha watoto wetu kuwa Mungu hawezi kujaribiwa na tusifanye nadhiri ama jokes.zisizokuwa za msingi na watu. You cant bet on sin.
Kwa kweli Watu wa karibu na huyu mama wanatakiwa kumpa ushirikiano mkubwa, otherwise hali yake itakuwa mbaya sana, kuliko hata ya mtoto.

• Thanks
Reactions: BAK
Kuna watu kweli washabiki, huyo mwingine alimshawishi au alimuambia kua asikojolee na akifanya hivyo atakuwa amekosa...sasa nyinyi mnaifanya siasa na kusema alimshawishi.....

Hawa watoto wote walifanya makosa. Korani haikuandikwa ili watu WAIKUFURU WAPATE KICHAA. Hivyo kuitoa ilikuwa kosa pia. Huyo mkojoleaji pia alifanya makosa zaidi. Miaka 14 si mtoto kivile. Mimi nisingeshangaa sana kama Waislaam wangemdhuru huyo mtoto maana amewakosea sana. Kosa lao ni pale walpo wadhuru wasiohusika. Huo ni uhuni tu. Serikali ikomeshe hao wahuni wa kidini.

Hawa watoto wote walifanya makosa. Korani haikuandikwa ili watu WAIKUFURU WAPATE KICHAA. Hivyo kuitoa ilikuwa kosa pia. Huyo mkojoleaji pia alifanya makosa zaidi. Miaka 14 si mtoto kivile. Mimi nisingeshangaa sana kama Waislaam wangemdhuru huyo mtoto maana amewakosea sana. Kosa lao ni pale walpo wadhuru wasiohusika. Huo ni uhuni tu. Serikali ikomeshe hao wahuni wa kidini.

hivi wewe una soma hadithi za Mtume Mohamed SAW? au unajua maana ya Islam? hata kama unaitetea dini basi unatakiwa kufanya hivyo in a peaceful manner., ikiwa unaamini katika ugomvi basi hata nduguzo utagombana nao kwani maisha yamejaa vishawishi mbalimbali, kuanzia ya kuihi na ndugu jirani, nk

Back
Top Bottom