Tanzanian Success Story, Only in America

PERERE

Feb 5, 2011
Surprise six-figure salaries - Spends 16 hours a day washing windows (6) - CNNMoney

Spends 16 hours a day washing windows
6 of 10

alexander-tzamburakis.jpg

Name: Alexander Tzamburakis
Job: Window washer
Salary: $125,000
Hometown: Chicago, Ill.

I moved to the United States from Tanzania on a scholarship to the University of Chicago. I studied economics and did really well, so I worked in banking for a while when I finished school. But then my visa expired and I couldn't get it extended. No one would hire me -- it didn't matter how capable I was.
So one day, I was walking around the city trying to think of jobs I might be able to do, and I saw windows all over the place -- and I said `That's it! I'll be a window washer.' So that's what I did. It doesn't matter if you have visa, as long as you have a Social Security number and pay taxes.
I now work as a contractor and bid on window-washing jobs. Most of them are at grocery stores, and some are at car part stores. The summer is the busiest time, and I work around 16 hours a day. It's tiring, but I'm happy with the salary. It lets me support my family.

Uwongo tu. There's no way you can get that much dough simply cleaning windows, even if you made your living working on skyscrapers in Manhattan or Chicago.

hata sielewi huyu mtoa mada anataka kutuambia nini, tuhamie marekeni kuwa window washers ama nini? au tumsifie kwamba amefanikiwa ama tumuone mjasiriamali? its confusing atusamehe sijui kwa kweli tunatakiwa tuone nini katika hii habari inayoonekana ya uongo mkubwa na kutupumbaza akili. kwa hiyo hana visa lakini ana social security kwa hiyo mambo poa tu, haki ya mungu iko kazi pasipo kutengeneza na ku promote vigezo vya mafanikio na values kwa watanzania tutazidi kushangaa mpaka tukome.

You got to be kidding me!!!

What do you mean by that? $125,000 per year for working 16 hours a day washing windows at grocery stores and car part stores? Please! How many windows does a car part store have anyway? And do you really get paid that much for cleaning only a bunch of windows at the front for a big box grocery store like Walmart?

Mumeambiwa ni contractor labda ana wenzake na hiyo six figure sum inaweza kuwa laki ambayo ni chini ya dola elfu 9 kwa mwezi.

Angesema hiyo ndiyo annual revenue ya kampuni, ningeelewa, lakini he makes it sound as if huo ndiyo mshahara wake binafsi kwa mwaka. Hata angekuwa ni contractor, sidhani angeingiza mshahara kama huo kwa mwaka.

What do you mean by that? $125,000 per year for working 16 hours a day washing windows at grocery stores and car part stores? Please! How many windows does a car part store have anyway? And do you really get paid that much for cleaning only a bunch of windows at the front for a big box grocery store like Walmart?
I know a lot, a lot of mexicans in St. louis who makes more than 300$ a day from working less than 10hrs a day washing semi-trailers 50$ plus interior,75$ winter time.

I know a lot, a lot of mexicans in St. louis who makes more than 300$ a day from working less than 10hrs a day washing semi-trailers 50$ plus interior,75$ winter time.

Doing detailing work on semi trailers isn't exactly the same thing as washing a few front windows at a one-floor grocery store like Walmart. At any rate, everything being equal, there's no way those Mexicans would be making $125,000 annual income from washing semi-trailers. That's simply ridiculous.

Uwongo tu. There's no way you can get that much dough simply cleaning windows, even if you made your living working on skyscrapers in Manhattan or Chicago.
Jamani, don't knock it. I know a lady (Tanzanian) in the Washington D.C. area. She started an office sweeping enterprise and finally was able to land a government contract of cleaning government offices. She is making very good money. I visited her once, she has a Mercedes in the backyard in a real nice neighbourhood. Don't knock it down guys.

Jamani, don't knock it. I know a lady (Tanzanian) in the Washington D.C. area. She started an office sweeping enterprise and finally was able to land a government contract of cleaning government offices. She is making very good money. I visited her once, she has a Mercedes in the backyard in a real nice neighbourhood. Don't knock it down guys.

Sawa msee. Kusafisha sakafu na vyoo is one thing. Lakini ukweli ni kwamba the true professionals who get to earn the big bucks in the window washing line of business are those who work on large multistory buildings or even skyscrapers. Swali ni jee: how many windows does your typical ghorofa-moja grocery store or car part store really have?

Doing detailing work on semi trailers isn't exactly the same thing as washing a few front windows at a one-floor grocery store like Walmart. At any rate, everything being equal, there's no way those Mexicans would be making $125,000 annual income from washing semi-trailers. That's simply ridiculous.
Mkuu,they do.....the catch is,it's like drug dealing,once someone has a turf,nobody messes with it.
Pia,personally namjua mtu na mkewe wanaclean grocery store(fresh fields wholefoods market,Georgetown,DC) Just one storey building for 80,000 a year...and they spend 6hrs a day from 11pm to 5am daily. I don't know about front windows za maduka ya partsMost of them are just lil neighborhood stores.But when you mentioned manhattan,chicago....125,000 can easily be made.....as long as you got customers.

Safi sana ridhiki popote....
He must be a very hard worker ..
keep it up as long you're happy ..

Mkuu,they do.....the catch is,it's like drug dealing,once someone has a turf,nobody messes with it.
Pia,personally namjua mtu na mkewe wanaclean grocery store(fresh fields wholefoods market,Georgetown,DC) Just one storey building for 80,000 a year...and they spend 6hrs a day from 11pm to 5am daily. I don't know about front windows za maduka ya partsMost of them are just lil neighborhood stores.But when you mentioned manhattan,chicago....125,000 can easily be made.....as long as you got customers.

Ok. But, like I mentioned, there's a huge difference between some contract for cleaning only-windows in some single-story big box grocery store like Walmart, and an all-inclusive cleaning contract for the same store. That's only one aspect of the equation. That fact of the matter is, most major grocery chains have their own dedicated cleaning crews for such petty tasks as windows-cleaning; whom (especially in these hard economical times) they get to pay only a pittance in relation to what they would have to pay if they had outsourced the same services to outside vendors.

Job requirements kwa hizi "Kohl Center, Kellner Hall, Camp Randall Stadium Bowl, Camp Randall Suites and Box Seats and Porter Boathouse University Ridge Golf Course Club House" are surely way beyond the shear volume of work, manpower, equipment, skills and whatnot than what would presumably be the case to get the same job done at your local grocery store or car-part store in the US. Hebu tuwekee mfano wa "window washing contracts" zinazohusu your neighborhood grocery store or car-part store tafadhali.

Specials & Pricing
It don't have to be a parts store....au gas station ya wapakistani.Ila one stry house ina cost like 150$,if you get 2 a day(less than 16hrs) you can easily make 100Gs!

shaame on him, Taifa limetumia pesa nyingi kumpatia elimu ili akimaliza arudi na kutoa mchango wake ketu yeye anakwenda kusugua vioo. Nadhani ni mpiga chabo mzuri sana hivyo ma windo hayo yanamsaidia kuona vizuri

Back
Top Bottom