Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Tanzanian plows fertile ground in pitch for aid

Discussion in 'Jukwaa la Siasa' started by Viol, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Viol

Viol JF-Expert Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Tanzania's president is waging a war on hunger - and while he's at it, he wants to modernize his East African nation's agricultural sector to lift millions of his countrymen out of poverty.

But Jakaya Kikwete's biggest constraint is a lack of resources.

"If somebody says, ‘What is your wish?' I'd say, ‘If I got a billion dollars a month in terms of government revenue, I can turn Tanzania into heaven,'" Mr. Kikwete told The Washington Times in an exclusive interview.

He doesn't have that luxury, so he has turned to the international community for help.

Mr. Kikwete, 61, was one of four African leaders invited to attend a summit of the Group of Eight industrialized nations at Camp David last week. The other three were from Ghana, Ethiopia and Benin.

"The overriding message that we brought here is: Assist Africa. Transform its agriculture," Mr. Kikwete said. "We underscored the fact that indeed there is cause for concern for food security and nutrition security in Africa."

Africa accounts for about 236 million hungry people, more than one-fourth of the world's total, according to U.N. statistics.

In Tanzania, malnutrition is the cause of high rates of infant and maternal mortality, and stunted, anemic children.

"There is a problem, and a serious one, that needs a solution," Mr. Kikwete said.

Hapo kwenye red;
    My take:Hivi kweli kwa uongozi legelege na serikali hii iliyojaa mafisadi na watumishi wenye utendaji mbovu kuna uwezekano kama huo?

Unaweza kusoma zaidi:Tanzanian plows fertile ground in pitch for aid - Washington Times