Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Tanzania attractions need intensive marketing - US tour operators

Discussion in 'Habari na Hoja mchanganyiko' started by BAK, Jun 9, 2010.

1. BAK

BAK JF-Expert Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Tanzania attractions need intensive marketing - US tour operators

By Beatrice Philemon

9th June 2010

[​IMG]
    Tourists at Selous Game Reserve.(file photo)

Despite Tanzania's efforts to promote its tourist attractions in the Americas, there are many people in that area who are not aware of the country and its rich variety of natural and other wonders, including the Selous Game Reserve, the largest game protected area in Africa.

This was revealed yesterday by Michael Goren, president and chief executive officer of US-based firm: International Specialty Travel, who together with his family, is in the country for a twelve-day mission aimed at promoting Tanzanian tourism in the US.

"Tanzania should be in the forefront in promoting its products in overseas markets, because during our visit to the hinterland we found that it has a lot of tourist attractions that can be promoted in the Americas and other countries in world," he said.

Besides, "You need to do justice, inform Americans what you can offer in terms of tourism so that they can come to experience and see what you have."

"You have to do it because if you ask American people what they like most, they will tell you that safari is the first thing," he said noting that Tanzania should use the opportunity to market what they have.
    Tour operators, Tanzania Tourist Board, the ministry of Natural Resources and Tourism and travel agents should work together to market this country because there are very few Americans who know about Tanzania and its attractions.

For example, he said the Selous Game Reserve, which is the famous park in the world is not known in the US although it boasts Tanzania's largest population of elephants as well as lions, leopards, wild dogs, buffalos, hippos and antelopes.
    "During our visit in Tanzania we were very excited to see unbelievable Game which is a nice attractive for game viewing" he said.

He also called on Tanzania to build more accommodation facilities because the ongoing marketing efforts would one day bear fruits, with dramatic rise in the number of tourist arrivals.

"The accommodation facilities that you have in Tanzania are now good but are not enough. You have to increase more hotels and lodges to meet the tourist needs that will emerge in the near future," he said.

Explaining what he has learned from the places he visited in Tanzania, he said, "I have been traveling around the world, but Tanzania is a good place to visit".
    "For example, before we arrived at Kilimanjaro International Airport, we were very excited to see that the airport is nice and clean including toilets," he said.

"Besides, the people that we met were very kind to us," he said, adding "in Tanzania, we have seen animals that I had never seen in my travels to Kenya, Ethiopia, Asia, South America, North America and other Africa countries before".

"I'm very excited to see lions on the trees at lake Manyara National Park, I have never seen tree-climbing lions, which spend most of the day spread out along the branches of acacia trees-six to seven metres above the ground," he said noting that this is an amazing trip for him and his family.

"We also visited Serengeti National park and Ngorongoro Crater during our trip.
    "When I go back home, I will be a good ambassador for Tanzania because I own a travel firm that I intend to use to promote Tanzania.
    In another move aimed at marketing Tanzania as a tourist destination in the US, in November this year, Ethiopia Airlines will double its Boeing 777 flights from Washington to Addis Ababa to carry tourists eager to visit Tanzania and other East Africa countries.

Currently I have partnership with Ethiopia Airline after exploring the potential that you have in Tanzania, I believe through Addis Ababa flight route, it will be easy for American people to visit Tanzania.

SOURCE: THE GUARDIAN

2. BAK

BAK JF-Expert Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Picture of the Day
    [​IMG]
    A SECTION of 1000 Germany soccer fans who toured the Ngorongoro Crater in Arusha recently on their way to South Africa 2010 World Cup. (Photo by Marc Nkwame)