Tamico stresses commitment to improve relations with management of gold mine geita Gold Mine’s (GGM)

R.B

JF-Expert Member
May 10, 2012
[h=3][/h][h=3][/h]
Geita-Gold-Mine.jpg

Geita Gold Mine

Zonal Secretary, Mr Joseph Mang’enya, told the ‘Daily News’ via telephone from Mwanza that they are concerned by unions allied to the management which frustrate efforts for official recognition of Tamico branch at GGM.
“We have already written to GGM Managing Director to officially inform him of our concerns which is contrary to our international agreement made last year,” Mr Mang’enya noted.
Among other things, Tamico accused the GGM management of sabotaging the trade union branch at Geita to stop its official recognition as a legitimate bargainer of workers’ rights. “If we fail to convince GGM management then we will seek Anglogold Ashanti’s (AGA) intervention because they were signatories to last year’s agreement,” argued Mr Mang’enya.
Last year International Federation of Chemical, Energy, Mine and General Workers Union (ICEM) agreed with AGA to reinstate two Tamico trade union leaders, Aloyce Shigela and Thomas Sabai, who are Chairman and Secretary of the branch at GGM who had been suspended by the management.
ICEM and AGA formed a four man joint probe team to investigate disharmony between management and union members at GGM last June. The probe team delivered their report to ICEM/GGM senior officials in August 2011, with several recommendations to improve management and trade union relations at Geita.
Among the recommendations was that of reinstating the two union leaders who were suspended in May of the same year, after allegedly holding meetings within the company’s premises contrary to an agreement signed in 2005. The committee took the view that the current mine union recognition agreement, which excluded Tamico, was not in the best interests of the mine.
“The committee recommended that Tamico and Geita management urgently work together to craft a new access agreement and code of conduct that recognises the basic labour rights enshrined in new Tanzanian labour legislations,” the probe team said in its final report.
Tamico which is an affiliate of ICEM and GGM is a subsidiary of AGA and are obliged to implement the ICEM/AGA deal which is based on the two sides Global Framework Agreement signed in 2009.