Summit of achievement: amputees set out on bid to conquer Kilimanjaro

babu M

JF-Expert Member
Mar 4, 2010
Two amputees treated at London hospitals are to be part of the first group of civilians with missing limbs who hope to climb Mount Kilimanjaro.

Ray Edwards, 55, and Terry Leeson, 50, will attempt the gruelling nine-day trek up the Tanzanian volcano following the route taken by singers Cheryl Cole and Alesha Dixon last year when they raised money for Comic Relief.

If he succeeds, Mr Edwards, who lost both his legs below the knee, one arm at the elbow and the other below the elbow after contracting blood poisoning, will become the first quad amputee without a mountaineering qualification to reach the summit.

He and Mr Leeson are climbing with 22 others, including two more amputees and some medical staff, in September. They hope to raise £100,000 for The Limbless Association and Limbcare, of which Mr Edwards is chairman.

The father of five has already completed tough feats to raise funds, including a 15-mile ride on a special tricycle. Since his amputations in 1987 he has been cared for at Queen Mary's in Roehampton, which is making him spare arms and legs for the hike.

Mr Edwards, who runs a business helping disabled people modify their homes, said: "I decided to do this last summer after a few glasses of red wine but the next morning I thought, no, I really should go for it.

"It's a fantastic challenge and a great way of raising awareness and money." Physiotherapist Laura Burgess, who has been caring for Mr Leeson at Charing Cross hospital for five years, is joining them.

Mr Leeson, an electrical engineer from Ruislip, lost his right leg below the knee after he smashed his ankle joint falling off a shed he was building for his son.

He said: "Laura was the one who persuaded me to do this. She's been amazing and very encouraging."

source: evening standard

0 Reactions
Back
Top Bottom