Strange numbers in Latest Mwanza Power Plant construction

Akwaba

Sep 26, 2010
I read this article with really strange numbers. If they are correct we have some ****** running the show.

Mr. Jilima said that the $530.6 million will see the construction of 100MW power capacity plant at Ubungo at a cost of $124.8 million, and the 60MW power capacity at Nyakato in Mwanza at a cost of $354 million, to be switched on in June next year.
The East African:  - Business |Norwegian firm secures $500m Dar power deal

Ok so they could build an additional 250MW for the $354million spent on a measly 60MW in Nyanza. I am hoping there is more to this story. As at these prices you can easily build solar and or wind, or even geothermal and not pay for fuel.

I am hoping there is more to this story. As at these prices you can easily build solar and or wind, or even geothermal and not pay for fuel.
Can we really build wind or geothermal for this prices??
I can agree with you about the longterm costs.., but initial cost?, I really much doubt

Here are some examples

For Wind in Canada they are building a 30mW plant for $61 million.
$61M wind farm going up near Amherst - Nova Scotia - CBC News

In Ethiopia it is $300 million for 120MW.
France offers Ethiopia $590 mln for power, water projects | Reuters

In Australia at $130 million for 55MW.

Ok you get the point.

Now for Geothermal.
$350 milliion for 121MW
$350m loan guarantee to back 121MW Ormat geothermal plants - Geothermal - Renewable energy news - Recharge - wind, solar, biomass, wave/tidal/hydro and geothermal

$381 million for 82MW
Mighty River to build $381m New Zealand geothermal plant - Geothermal - Renewable energy news - Recharge - wind, solar, biomass, wave/tidal/hydro and geothermal

For Solar
Well these numbers are more difficult to get. They range from $3/watt to $6/watt.

The Mwanza plant would be at the ridiculous level of $5.5/watt.

Such are Bongo figures and prices on the same scale and equally ridiculous as many others for example, five (therebouts) pit latrines somewhere in Bagamoyo which were dug and shedded for millions of shillings. At least they were dug up anyway.
Honestly, are you surprised??

What annoys me more is that the media reports these numbers without saying hey wait a second isn't this kinda expensive. It is almost like they are waiting for the money to get wasted and some European organization to spend tons of cash to point out the obvious

Back
Top Bottom