Sleeping woman 'raped by a man pretending to be her boyfriend'

Babylon

JF-Expert Member
Feb 5, 2009
Sleeping woman 'raped by a man pretending to be her boyfriend'

Last updated at 11:57 AM on 05th January 2010

article-1240686-07C1C3AF000005DC-885_233x494.jpg
Darryl Gibbons is alleged to have raped a woman while her boyfriend slept next to her

A sleeping woman was raped by a man pretending to be her boyfriend, a court heard yesterday.
Darryl Gibbons, 26, who told police he was sexually aroused, had been at a drink and drug-fuelled party at his friend's home which went on until 4am.

A jury heard that the 24-year-old rape victim went to bed with her boyfriend and they made love for 30 minutes.

But Exeter Crown Court heard later the same morning she stirred to find someone having sex with her again.

The victim told the jury: 'I was stirring and felt somebody on top of me having sex with me.'

It was dark in the bedroom and she assumed it was her boyfriend. But when she reached out across the bed with her arm, she felt him sleeping beside her.

The court heard that Gibbons told her that it was her boyfriend lying next to her as he raped her.

The victim screamed and pushed him off and Gibbons ran into another room - as his friend woke to the noise.

Exeter Crown Court heard that when she confronted Gibbons in the house in Exeter, Devon, he denied even being in the bedroom or having sex with her.

However, Gibbons later admitted to police that he had sex with her but it was consensual.

The victim told the jury: 'I absolutely did not want sex with Darryl. I had done nothing prior to the act of sex to give him that impression. I was not interested in any way.'

She described the rape attack as 'horrible' and admitted it was hard for her boyfriend to believe what had happened as he tried to piece the chain of events together.

Gibbons, from Pinhoe, near Exeter, denies rape.

Prosecutor Nicholas Gerasimidis told the jury: 'This defendant effectively impersonated his very good friend.'

He said the victim and her boyfriend, Gibbons and another man had spent the evening in October 2008 drinking wine, cider and beer and snorting cocaine.

The woman said she was besotted with her boyfriend and their on-off relationship was volatile but she had gone to his home after he kept calling her to come over.

Mr Gerasimidis said she called the police immediately after the rape attack and her tearful 999 call alleging the rape was played to the jury.

Police quickly arrived and arrested Gibbons who was interviewed.

The prosecutor said: 'He was to tell the police he was feeling quite horny.'

He went to the double bed and his friend of 12 years was sleeping next to his naked girlfriend.

Gibbons told police that she had been flirty with him and had been jumping on him during the earlier part of the evening - a claim the prosecution say is lies.

He told police that he was uncomfortable sleeping on a sofa and went into his friend's bedroom and the victim was naked.
He claimed she turned towards him and they started kissing.

He took off his trousers and he had sex with her - but claimed she felt guilty about what was happening and pushed him off.

She said she had been asleep and woke to find Gibbons having sex with her and she could not have consented when she was asleep.

Gibbons said he had denied having sex with her when he was initially confronted by the victim because he did not want his friend finding out.

He claimed the couple enjoyed a casual relationship.