Should polygamy be legal?

Exaud J. Makyao

JF-Expert Member
Nov 30, 2008
I'm not sure if it is right for poligamy to be legal.
At this era of HIV/AIDS, polygamy should be illegal.
I dont support it at all.

Quote from, Mrs. H0711

''I don't think it's ok. I think it's wrong to expect a woman to accept that a man can have multiple wives. I think for polygamy to be ok, it'd have to be ok for a woman to have multiple husbands, the same way it's ok for men to have multiple wives.''

What is your say?

Last edited:
kuoa wake wengi au mmjio si hoja. hoja ni watu kutokutoka nje ya ndoa. kama unawake watatu na wametyulia na wewe umetulia ukimwi utatoka wapi?
hao wenye mke mmoja ndo kasheshe

At this era of hiv/aids, polygamy should be illegal.

I can't understand why your post started in the middle! Who said polygamy is legal or where did you get such assertion? Please complete your post so that I, personally and possibly others can get your point. This will help us to contribute to the discussion.

whether it is a question or suggestion, yet it is not clear! But under the law of marriage act polygamy is legal! I don know if you want to know whetter its legal or not, or you are challenging its legality!

............. Who said polygamy is legal or where did you get such assertion?

DARK,
Do you mean that polygamy is not Legal?
I also cant get you clear.
Kindly let me know what is contained in your understand about Polygamy, (law-wise).

kuoa wake wengi au mmjio si hoja. hoja ni watu kutokutoka nje ya ndoa. kama unawake watatu na wametyulia na wewe umetulia ukimwi utatoka wapi?
hao wenye mke mmoja ndo kasheshe

ISIMILO,
Kinachonipa mashaka ni kwamba wanawake wanapokuwa zaidi ya mmoja kwa mwanaumume mmoja huwa wana jaribiwa kwenda nje ya ndoa kujiridhisha zaidi.

DARK,
Do you mean that polygamy is not Legal?
I also cant get you clear.
Kindly let me know what is contained in your understand about Polygamy, (law-wise).

EJK,

I am not an expert in law but just wanted to hear from you (with reference to your original post) if polygamy is legal and based on which Act? If you could look at others' opinions, your original post was incomplete because you needed to give more info to enable us make a useful discussion.

Exaud,
Polygamy is legal.Thus why no body has ever been taken before court of laws merely, because of engaging in polygamy.
Anyway , me personally I hate polygamy.

ISIMILO,
"Kinachonipa mashaka ni kwamba wanawake wanapokuwa zaidi ya mmoja kwa mwanaumume mmoja huwa wana jaribiwa kwenda nje ya ndoa kujiridhisha zaidi."

MMh! hata kama mwanamke akiwa mmoja tu, usipomridhisha atajaribiwa kutoka nje ya ndoa kujiridhisha zaidi...

Ndoa ni imani, ishi kwa kuamini kwamba mwenzangu ni mwaminifu na wewe kuwa mwaminifu

ISIMILO,
Ndoa ni imani, ishi kwa kuamini kwamba mwenzangu ni mwaminifu na wewe kuwa mwaminifu

Mzee, mi IMANI,na MATENDO bana... Kuamini peke yake hakutoshi bila kuchukua hatua ya kuepuka...Kuamini tu bila matendo kutakufanya umchuke mwanake wa nje kwa KUAMINI kwamba yu salama..watchout!

Exaud J. Makyao,

Kujibu swali lako ni kwamba polygamy katika Tanzania yetu ni legal. Ki vipi..

Angalia sources of law Tanzania zinatoka wapi kwa mujibu wa GlobaLex - Guide to Tanzanian Legal System and Legal Research
Tanzania inapata Sources of Law kutoka sehemu sita ambazo ni
-Constitution
-Statutes
-Case Law
-Received Laws
-Customary and Islamic Laws
-International Law (Treaties and Conventions)

Nizazungumzia katika Customary sources maana katika makabila mengi Tanzania hasa ya kanda ya ziwa Mfano Wakurya, Wangoreme e.t.c, jambo la wake zaidi ya mmoja ni la kawaida kama tukichukulia kwamba polygamy maane yake ni kuwa na mke zaidi ya mmoja . Hata tukichukulia Islamic laws jambo la mke zaidi ya mmoja ni la kawaida, labda kama bado sijaelewa swali lako…

Exaud, Kwa kuongezea, pia ni kwamba Polygamy In Tanzania is permitted with consent of first wife; upon registration, parties are to declare whether marriage is polygamous, potentially polygamous, or monogamous, and marriage may be 'converted' to polygamous or monogamous by joint declaration Obedience/Maintenance: maintenance of wife or wives is husband's duty; becomes wife's duty in cases where husband is incapacitated and unable to earn a living; Courts may order maintenance under limited circumstances where husband refuses or neglects to maintain wife

source: Tanzania

Exaud, Kwa kuongezea, pia ni kwamba Polygamy In Tanzania is permitted with consent of first wife; upon registration, parties are to declare whether marriage is polygamous, potentially polygamous, or monogamous, and marriage may be 'converted' to polygamous or monogamous by joint declaration Obedience/Maintenance: maintenance of wife or wives is husband's duty; becomes wife's duty in cases where husband is incapacitated and unable to earn a living; Courts may order maintenance under limited circumstances where husband refuses or neglects to maintain wife

source: Tanzania

S.M
Thanks alot for giving me the light about this.
This is also help to those who didnt know if Polygamy is legal or not.

Whether polygamy should be legal or not can be debated indefinitely. The question should be whether polygamy is legal or illegal in a particular country and whether there are legal consequences (prosecution) for practicing it, if it is illegal. How polygamy is practiced is tremendously important as well.

I think unless you are going to be a part of the legislation making process and become actively involved in making it illegal or not, it's blameworthy information just to toss around the question-"Should polygamy be legal?"

I know living polygamy is extremely painful and difficult. It is probably that way for most women. I am an American female Muslim, living in the USA. I live polygamy today, and have lived it for 2 and 1/2 years now. I'm living polygamy, a way of life that is contrary to a society, a culture in which I was raised and lived, in a country (the USA) where it is illegal, but rarely prosecuted.

I formed a support group at www.polygamy411.com to help women who are living polygamy, contemplating living polygamy, or for any man or woman who just want to talk about it. Discussing it with others has been very therapeutic for me and I hope it would be for others, as well. You could read the story of my journey with polygamy, a painful reality.

Ana (Anabellah)

Whether polygamy should be legal or not can be debated indefinitely. The question should be whether polygamy is legal or illegal in a particular country and whether there are legal consequences (prosecution) for practicing it, if it is illegal. How polygamy is practiced is tremendously important as well.

I think unless you are going to be a part of the legislation making process and become actively involved in making it illegal or not, it's blameworthy information just to toss around the question-"Should polygamy be legal?"

I know living polygamy is extremely painful and difficult. It is probably that way for most women. I am an American female Muslim, living in the USA. I live polygamy today, and have lived it for 2 and 1/2 years now. I'm living polygamy, a way of life that is contrary to a society, a culture in which I was raised and lived, in a country (the USA) where it is illegal, but rarely prosecuted.

I formed a support group at www.polygamy411.com to help women who are living polygamy, contemplating living polygamy, or for any man or woman who just want to talk about it. Discussing it with others has been very therapeutic for me and I hope it would be for others, as well. You could read the story of my journey with polygamy, a painful reality.

Ana (Anabellah)

Thank you so much Ana for sharing your story with us. To me the whole idea of polygamy does not make any sense because it is based on justifying the greedy and selfishness of some of the men in our communities. Because men have been and still have the upper hand in decision making, that's why they can still hold on with such practices despite all the changes that have occurred in the world particularly at this time of globalization. As a married man and a honest husband, I can not share my wife with any other man and feel the same for my wife if she had to share her husband with other women. Because men never take time to appreciate the pain they cause to women in polygamous relationships, they hardly understand the burden such women are carrying. I therefore think that it will eventually go away but that will take a long time. In my view, it starts with an individual and we therefore need to target each one personally to let them understand and appreciate that the practice is inhumane! My father would have wanted to marry many wives (although he never did) but I don't even think of someone other than my wife. My kids have to think in the same way. If many families can do that, I am sure we can shorten the time required to forget about polygamy.

..............I am an American female ................., living in the USA. ............. I'm living polygamy, a way of life that is contrary to a society, ..........................
I formed a support group at www.polygamy411.com to help women who are living polygamy, ....................
Ana (Anabellah)

ANABELLAH,
Your contribution is quit helpful.
I'm sure you can help many people to get real picture about Polygamy.
At last, we will confidently be able to say whether Polygamy should remain legal or not.

this should not be allowed to be legal not only because of HIV/AIDS but also the cost of running the family is very high. and mind you the poor are the one like polygamy than the rich.

brother/sister, polygamy is legal in tanzania. in tz, there are three kinds of marriages recognised; if you think you are a christian and you really profess christianity, and therefore you want your marriage to be celebrated in a christian way, IT IS ILLEGAL TO MARRY MORE THAN ONE WIFE. however, if you are a muslim or one who confesses traditional beliefs, you may have more than one marriage and it is right. the Law of marriage Act 1971 provides for this. nenda website ya bunge tafuta hii sheria, you will get it. nenda nayo kasome home. cha maana hapa, ni kuifanya selikali ifute, pamoja na kwamba waislam hawatakubali. UKWELI NI KWAMBA, kwa hali ya kawaida, hakuna mwanaume ambaye anaweza kuwatoshelesha wanawake zaidi ya mmoja kikamilifu. yeye atatosheka hadi atawachoka, lakini wao hawatatosheka, wataishi kwa kumwogopa tu ila watakuwa hawajatoshelezwa vizuri moyoni, kitu ambacho ni lazima watatafuta mwanaume mwingine nje. unaweza ukaona kuwa, wakati mmoja mme ataishi wiki moja kwa mke wa kwanza, wiki la pili mke wa pili, wiki la tatu wa tatu na la nne wa nne. wanawake wengi wanapenda wakunwe karibia kila baada ya siku moja, so in a week iwe at least mara nne au tatu. hawezi kukaa mwezi akusubirie wewe urudi toka kwa nyumba ndogo. HOWEVER, anaweza akakusubiria, sio kwamba hana hamu, ila kwasababu anakuogopa, anaogopa talaka, au atakubali muda wote huo aumie moyo. MWANAUME anayefanya mapenzi kila siku hivyo kuwaridhisha wanawake wanne, hata kazi atafanya saa ngapi? muda wote atakuwa anawaza hilo tu, atakuwa amechoka tu, yaani its rediculous kwakweli. sasa siwezi sema sana kwasababu kuna dini za watu hapa.

Back
Top Bottom