Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Serbian Obren Circovic on playing football in Tanzania

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Alpha, Feb 24, 2010.

1. A

Alpha JF-Expert Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Serbian Obren Circovic on playing football in Tanzania

While large crowds have impressed Serbian goalkeeper Obren Circovic as he plays for Tanzanian side Young Africans, witchcraft has cast a shadow over his time there.

Serbian Obren Circovic is impressed by the football fans in Tanzania
    Circovic has been playing in East Africa for two years now, after playing in the top flights in Greece and Serbia, and he continues to be amazed by the number of fans that come out to support his team.
    "In Greece, I believe you get big crowds for the big games like Panathinaikos against Olympiakos but in the other league games, we don't have so many people," he explained.
    "In Serbia we don't get more than 20,000 people, but here in Tanzania I see the stadiums almost full, and in every match, with so many fans there to support their teams.
    "Maybe it is the love of the game, and the big fan base means that these teams must win by all means."
    But witchcraft, or juju, is one part of the game that Circovic is less happy with.

When he first arrived in Africa two years ago the goalkeeper was shocked to be accused of dabbling in witchcraft before his debut against Yanga's arch rivals, Simba.
    "That witchcraft wasn't mine, it was for some of the other players from Tanzania," Circovic told BBC Sport.
    "I have heard of that [witchcraft] but I don't believe in it, I've had contact with it, but I don't believe in that."
    The Serbian shot-stopper says he has tried to persuade his team-mates not to use witchcraft but also admits there is a lot of pressure on the players from fans.
    "I've spoken to them but all of them are saying one thing and doing another," he explained.
    "They say 'we don't believe in that' but tomorrow I see them putting some bottles or something like that [in my goal]."
    Circovic thinks that Tanzanian players have a lot to learn if they are to make the switch and play in Europe.
    "The problem here is behaviour, behaviour here are not at a high level; they must change how they play on the pitch, how they play in training," he said.
    "Behaviour, lifestyle they must change, because your performance depends on behaviour, you must improve yourself."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/8534075.stm

This is exactly what Maximo was talking about, indiscipline and poor behavior. And yet the so called experts in the country were criticizing him for dropping certain players.