Rodney King dead at 47...R.I.P.

Ab-Titchaz

JF-Expert Member
Jan 30, 2008
LA riots beating victim Rodney King dead at 47

king.jpg

Rodney King speaks with fans before presenting his autobiographical book 'The Riot Within...My Journey from Rebellion to Redemption' in Los Angeles, USA on April 30, 2012

By AFP
Posted Sunday, June 17 2012 at 18:44

Rodney King, whose beating by police in 1992 sparked race riots in Los Angeles, was found dead in his swimming pool early Sunday, authorities said. He was 47.

Rialto Police Captain Randy Deanda told AFP King was found "unresponsive" at the bottom of his pool and was pronounced dead at a local medical center shortly afterward at 6:11 am (1311 GMT).

King became a symbol of racial tensions in America after his beating by LA police was caught on camera.

The police officers involved were acquitted on April 29, 1992, triggering days of deadly rioting in Los Angeles.

Speaking ahead of this year's 20th anniversary of the riots that left more than 50 people dead, he said racism still has to be challenged.

"There's always gonna be some type of racism. But it's up to us as individuals in this country to look back and see all the accomplishments that we have gotten to this far," he told CNN.

Asked about his feelings toward the police officers who beat him, he said: "I have forgiven (them), because America has forgiven me for so many things and given me so many chances.

"You get to have a second chance, and I've been given a second chance," said King, who has had a number of brushes with the law since 1992.
"I have much respect for (the
police), much respect... some of them went out of their way over the years to try to make it up to me. Not all of them is bad."

LA riots beating victim Rodney King dead at 47*- World*|nation.co.ke

Rodney King dead at 47

king.jpg

CNN reports that Rodney King, whose beating by Los Angeles police in 1991 was caught on camera and sparked riots after the acquittal of the four officers involved, was found dead in his swimming pool today. He was 47.

Rialto Capt. Randy DeAnda told CNN there were no preliminary signs of foul play,

Habari zaidi CNN

RIP!

From Wikipedia

Rodney Glen King (April 2, 1965 – June 17, 2012) was the victim in a police brutality case involving the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) on March 3, 1991. A bystander, George Holliday, videotaped much of the incident from a distance.

The footage showed seven officers surrounding the solitary King, with several LAPD officers repeatedly striking a helpless King with their batons while the other officers stood by watching, without taking any action to stop the beating. A portion of this footage was aired by news agencies around the world, causing public outrage that increased tension between the local black community and the LAPD and increased anger over police brutality, racism and social inequalities in Los Angeles.

Four LAPD officers were later tried in a state court for the beating; three were acquitted and the jury failed to reach a verdict for the fourth. The announcement of the acquittals sparked the 1992 Los Angeles riots. A later federal trial for civil rights violations ended with two of the officers found guilty and sent to prison and the other two officers acquitted.

Zaidi kuhusu Rodney King

Back
Top Bottom