Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

RE: Oh, the grit it takes to be African!

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Nyaralego, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Nyaralego

Nyaralego JF-Expert Member

Feb 2, 2009
    The Standard | Online Edition :: Oh, the grit it takes to be African!

Updated 5 hr(s) 11 min(s) ago
    By Ted Malanda

The year was 1996 and a presidential election was in the offing. Then Russian President Boris Yeltsin suffered a life-threatening heart attack. They blamed vodka, which the leader was reputed to have a particular fondness for and which, it was said, he quaffed in generous amounts.

Others attributed the illness to old age, and old the man certainly was. Some fools even blamed his lifestyle. But the African in me knew it was all about his political enemies pulling a fast one on the Russian leader using a dead black cat. But you know how naÔve Europeans can be - they just never figure out these simple things.

So they called doctors - three doctors actually; a Russian, a German and an American. Naturally, the American was the team leader. Still, what caught my attention was the fact that the surgical genius was an incredible 87 years of age. I am yet to recover from the reckless madness of that choice.

You see, in Africa, an 87 old man is supposed to have died 40 years earlier - from malaria, elephantiasis of the scrotum, tuberculosis, cholera, starvation, civil war or the aforementioned dead black cat. But in the event that the elements conspired to keep him alive, he would be in no position to cut his own nails or perform a circumcision leave alone tinkering with the aged, drink-sodden heart of the president of a nuclear power.

At 87 in Africa, you are history. For starters, the bugger would have long lost his power of speech. His mental faculties would be questionable and coordination in his limbs non-existent. Great grandchildren would take turns taking him out of his hut and propping him up on a little three-legged stool under the sun for a spot of vitamin D. And there he would sit, swatting away flies and mumbling to an inexistent audience about his exploits in Burma during World War 11.

Memory lapses

When they come back in the evening to take him back to his little hut, he would enquire for the umpteenth time who they are.

"You said you are who? Aha, Mwanzia! You are from which house? Ati you are Mutisya's grandson? But who is Mutisya?"

Then they get arrested by a coughing spasm, sending the great grandchildren into a panic. That's Africa.

We are not talking about the spoilt chaps in Nairobi who eat cooking fat for breakfast but the villagers who eat off the scorched earth. These are folk whose annual meat consumption is far smaller than what the city folk wolf down in a single sitting.

While city folk jog to lose fat in their bellies, villagers receive compliments for a shiny nose.

Amazingly, Africans can be extremely stoic amidst hardship. In America and Japan, it's not unusual for a grown man to dive out of the window and die because he lost his job. In Africa, when things get tough - which is all the time, anyway - the people grit their teeth, tighten their loincloths and get tougher.

Vintage Africa

Clowns in Nairobi will elbow, shove and strangle each other when a politician donates a tin of posho amid a flash of television cameras.

But the people in Ukambani, where the real hunger is, adorn their best clothes, come to the famine relief centre, queue with order and respect and leave without fuss when they get nothing. That is vintage Africa.

Our steel in the middle of hardship is legendary.

But it can be very annoying, too, like in the case of Zimbabweans who simply won't get outraged enough to light a raging fire under Mugabe's arrogant little backside.

2. Augustine Moshi

Augustine Moshi JF-Expert Member

Feb 3, 2009
    I hear that the life expectancy of a Zimbabwean man is down to 37 years. That of the female kind is two years below that. 87 years would be about three generations of Zimbabweans!

We used to live 50 years at Independence. We went up to 57 soon afterwards, but now we seem to have come down to some point below where we started. I guess we have AIDS to thank for that.

We live here only a little while, not because we are Africans but because we are poor. (Don’t tell me we are poor because we are Africans. I can point out many Africans who are not poor!)

There is a bright side to this. The earth is a vale of tears. Africans don’t seem to suffer down here long. They get to start enjoying their eternal bliss early!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  3. T

The Truth JF-Expert Member

Feb 3, 2009

To Africans, the earth is a vale of tears. Why? Africans have not been able to tame their surroundings mostly due to limited intelligence. Africans have not been able to make any advances in medicine, science and technology crucial to making life better as other races have done. Just think if it wasn't for Whites and Asians coming up with Anti retroviral AIDS medicine, many Africans would have died of AIDS already. The same for other diseases. You need intelligence to tame your surroundings/environment. That's how Whites invented machines that make it easier to farm the land, transport human beings etc.

4. T

Feb 3, 2009
    True grit without intelligence is meaningless. Zimbabweans may have true grit but not the intelligence to make the necessary changes. Without intelligence you will remain at the mercy of those with intelligence.

5. Nkamangi

Nkamangi JF-Expert Member

Feb 3, 2009
    All was well until our natural progessing development process was interferred by the so called explorers,colonialists, slave traders and the like. Don't forget the art of writting began in Africa and the first university was in Timbuktu. Brodda, stop hating on the race.

6. Nyaralego

Feb 4, 2009
    This is BS, garbage, rubbish, basura, kachra, takataka mentality.
    Take your Bigotry to hell!!! Mods if you ban me for this I will be very glad to get a ban!!!
    Who f*** do you think you are? Most probably you are the B***** of some AFRICAN, thats why you hate!
    Always very negative about people in the African Continent. After the rape and plunder of Africa!!! which still continues today.

If you have no regard for African people then do not post or respond to anything in this forum you can go to other "African bashing/hating forums", I'm sure they are many on the web OR better yet start one.
    (anyway why are you bandying words with AFRICAN people with no intelligence? If African intellligence is questionable and such an issue why are you in this esteemed forum?)

You are just a cheap Hate monger, Cheap thinking ya pesa nane.
    What do you think you have that African people do not have...Remember Africa is the cradle of civilization! news flash incase you had no clue!! You are suffering from inferiority complex that is why you will always want to validate yourself by putting the African Race down.
    I say this one more time to hell with you and your kind!!!... the internet is a good tool for research do your home work See how many Africans have excelled.

If you are AFRICAN, then i pity you...if you hate your own race this much...Kameze wembe.
    If you are not AFRICAN, I have a full dossier on what ails the so called intelligent White and Asian Races.

what truth do you know?...you would not know the truth if it bit you.
    You have your head so high in your...

7. Nyaralego

Feb 4, 2009
    You must have a degree in or even a Phd in Bullshit. Useless SOB...you are HATING the African Race to hide your own inadequacies. Go look at your self in the mirror and see yourself for what you are!!!! no hiding just you and the mirror can't stand the "truth"? (pun intended)

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it".
    "If you lie down with dogs you get fleas"

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  8. T

Feb 4, 2009
    Asians, Arabs, and Whites were still more advanced than Africans even before slavery or colonialism. Perhaps circumstances in Africa would have been a little different if it wasn't for outside interference but who really knows? What we know for a fact is African countries with longer European presence such as South Africa, Rhodesia until recently have been doing a lot better than other African countries. We know for a fact infrastructure developed during colonial infrastructure is still being used in parts of Africa. The colonial government buildings, schools etc. are still in use today. Plus other places and people have also been exploited by outsiders but have managed to move on. Why not Africa? Look at South East Asia countries for example. They have advanced rapidly during a short period of time so why not African countries?

9. T

Feb 4, 2009
    If you read your own post you will realize it is you who is filled with anger and even hate. I don't hate anyone to be honest but I do like to tell the truth. The truth about Africa and Africans is what it is. I am simply the messenger delivering or speaking it. So don't shoot the messenger. Deep down I think you also know what I say has at least some truth to it if not 100% true.

10. Nyani Ngabu

Nyani Ngabu Platinum Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Dang it! As much as I hate you, I still have to admit that what you say is true.

11. Nyani Ngabu

Nyani Ngabu Platinum Member

Feb 4, 2009
    For all you people that hate Raj with a passion, precisely, what is not factual about what he is saying here?

12. Nyaralego

Feb 4, 2009

Your truth is your own...do not force on people. you can actually insult a whole race and expect an applause and an encore? delusional.

13. Nyaralego

Feb 4, 2009
    Just like i suspected it's a pandre, giving itself liberties.