Re Lugha gongana.

Mkasika

JF-Expert Member
Sep 11, 2010
My teacher of Kiswahili used to say kuna lugha ya mitaani na lugha sanifu. It is also true that our choice of words can completely alter the intended meaning and outcome in communication.

Lets sample a few words:

Live - Leave, This - These, Advise - Advice, There - Their, Love - laugh, right-write-written, weather - whether, Quit - Quite etc.

Granted, most of us are fluent with our spoken english, some even with admirable foreign accent that drowns our mother-tongue effect. In comparison, our written is a far cry from our spoken.

Wanaforum, let us up our competency in the written English so that we do not distort the meaning of our message. Always remember, the meaning of a message is with the receiver not the sender. Ever heard our honorable MPs saying i was mis-quoted? The secret is to read and proof before you click the submit icon. I know some of us, out of no fault of our own are challenged when it comes to words with such letters as l/r, s/c, z, x, etc. We only need to make a conscious decision to get it right each time! Whether you write in English or Kiswahili, strive to convey the message as you would like to receive it.