Rais Kibaki atembeza bakuli mitaa ya Brazil!

Ab-Titchaz

JF-Expert Member
Jan 30, 2008
Kenya seeks Sh170bn from Brazil

kibaki.jpg

President Mwai Kibaki.
By PPS

Posted Sunday, June 24 2012 at 09:11
Kenya is in talks with Brazilian Development Bank (BNDES) in an effort to secure USD2 billion (approximately Sh170 billion) credit to support its development projects.

President Kibaki who is in Rio de Janeiro in Brazil attending the United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development held talks with the President of BNDES, which is the second largest development bank in the world.

During the talks, Kibaki expressed Kenya's interest in establishing a credit-line of USD2 billion with BNDES to finance priority projects that include agricultural development, infrastructure and energy.

With respect to infrastructure Kibaki said the construction of roads is an important part of Kenya's development agenda.

Kibaki appealed for partnership with Brazilian Government and investors in infrastructure development to decongest the city of Nairobi.

In the energy sector, Kibaki sought the support of the Brazilian Development Bank in financing the production of sugar, ethanol and co-generation of electricity.

During the talks, the President of the Brazilian Development Bank said the bank will extend a soft loan of USD80 million (approximately Sh6.8 billion) towards the mechanisation of agriculture in Kenya.

BNDES will extend further financing in excess of USD150 million (Sh13 billion) towards the construction of link roads and interchanges to decongest the city of Nairobi.

"With this commitment, Kenya now awaits the results of the review that the Brazilian Government and the Brazilian Development Bank are carrying out in conjunction with the Ministry of Nairobi Metropolitan Development for the construction of interchanges to decongest the city of Nairobi," said the PPS statement to the newsroom.

http://www.nation.co.ke/business/news/-/1006/1434544/-/3g5a6pz/-/index.html

Heri anaeenda kukopa pesa ajili miundombinu kuliko kuomba chakula na vyandarua!!!!!

Kukopa ni kukopa heri kuganga njaa na kuzuia Maleria,
Ooo % kubwa ya Bajeti TZ tunakopa je hao jirani wanaishi Ulimwengu gani

Only ignorant people will argue against credit. Credit at reasonable lending rates helps you realise your potential. What is the point of having coal in Eastern Province if you can't exploit it? If you have the infrastructure to exploit it like roads etc, you can then use it to produce electricity which is what is happening here in South Africa. we have resources but our money is now commited in other development projects.

I did not vote for this guy in 2007 but he has done an impressive Job. God bless you baba Jimmy.

this is the kind of bullshit being perpetrated by the JF authorities. WTF, am back, NKT. Anyway when i was away, courtesy of some lame and severely impoverished intellects so did the 'demons' infest this Kenyan sanctuary.SHINDWE. Al be back for exorcism rituals.
Kshaka, mekatilili, kabaridi, Dhuks, Nairrobbery, matsuo and any other Kenyan nice to be back and good job.
Now theres someone i should speak to; hey there, yes YOU!! next time you ban me weka CAPSLOCK, kazi bure!!!

this is the kind of bullshit being perpetrated by the JF authorities. WTF, am back, NKT. Anyway when i was away, courtesy of some lame and severely impoverished intellects so did the 'demons' infest this Kenyan sanctuary.SHINDWE. Al be back for exorcism rituals.
Kshaka, mekatilili, kabaridi, Dhuks, Nairrobbery, matsuo and any other Kenyan nice to be back and good job.
Now theres someone i should speak to; hey there, yes YOU!! next time you ban me weka CAPSLOCK, kazi bure!!!

Welcome back brother Livefire! Mambo mzuri coming up will update everyone here!

Hata kama atapewa hizo ( Kenya seeks Sh170bn from Brazil) Bado Kenya itakuwa na Matatizo ya Kiuchumi. Nchi za Afrika kwa kupenda Kuomba omba hatuchoki kuwa ni Ombaomba hata katka Famlia utakuta tumerithi hiyo tabia ya Ombaomba na Misaada kutegemea mpaka lini tuwe Watu wa Kusaidiwa na Mataifa Tajiri? hilo ndilo Swali la kujiuliza tutatoka lini na huo Umasikini?
kipanya_03_-_05_-_2012_20120509_1174947192.jpg

Hata kama atapewa hizo ( Kenya seeks Sh170bn from Brazil) Bado Kenya itakuwa na Matatizo ya Kiuchumi.

Accuse him of other things but in terms of financial management, lets just say we wish he were our president in his youth; he dares to dream.

livefire welcome, I was asking if the bar against Delta4 was raised?

Last edited by a moderator:
livefire welcome, I was asking if the bar against Delta4 was raised?

thanx mate
i sincerely hope it will be lifted as the guy is a pool of knowledge with respect to all spheres of EAC.
Lemmie ask the rogue headmaster in person,lol.; AB TICHAZ, when is the Ban on Delta4 expiring?

Last edited by a moderator:
thanx mate

i sincerely hope it will be lifted as the guy is a pool of knowledge with respect to all spheres of EAC.
Lemmie ask the rogue headmaster in person,lol.; AB TICHAZ, when is the Ban on Delta4 expiring?

yeah mate I really think we need the guy cause he is unmatched when it comes to the wealth of EAC info

welcome back brother :dance: i personal missed u ulienda kula kideri na mturi! Back to the business, do u have anything to say about Kibaki's ombaomba habit?

welcome back brother :dance: i personal missed u ulienda kula kideri na mturi! Back to the business, do u have anything to say about Kibaki's ombaomba habit?

ua greetings have a skewed angle, ati u missed me, hehe. Good to be back.
Abt the Budget/My president, Able men have said what had to be said. Take it or leave it.

so missing means sexual affection only?

back to business...how do u explain ur donor dependence to be at 6% for this year's budget if Kibaki anatembeza uombaomba kila kona? and year before this was the story ! R u proud of that lending habit? can u call that to be a prosperous move? How about lending from ur own banks? including this and this?

[h=1]Japan, China race to pump money into EA infrastructure projects[/h]
japan.jpg
Chinese workers from the Thika road project team of China Wuyi Company Limited teach local workers to tie steel bars at the construction site of a crossroad along Nairobi-Thika highway on July 18, 2011. File

Japan and China are competing for control of East Africa's economic landscape, which has seen each country roll out big projects in the region.
Last week, Japan moved to strengthen its position as a top investment partner by providing a Ksh28.9 billion ($340.6 million) loan to the Kenya government for building a bypass in Mombasa to ease traffic from the port.
The new rivalry is informed by the fact that the region's prospects look much brighter after the oil and gas finds of the past two years in Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania.
(Read: Give China all the roads; traditional donors have moved on to other projects)
The day after Japan announced the loan on Tuesday, China, announced a $100 million (Ksh8.5 billion) grant to the Kenyan government for the installation of closed circuit television cameras in major cities and towns to monitor terror activities.
The $100 million grant pales in comparison with the other larger investments that China has made, especially in infrastructure and energy sectors. However, the significance of the grant is that it shows the Asian nation is attuned to Kenya's most pressing problems.
According to a report by audit firm Ernst and Young, released earlier this month, China has fared much better than Japan in terms of job creation and investments in the region. This is important because of the region's high population growth rate.
Japan is lagging behind but is keen on expanding its influence in the East African region. It gave Uganda Ush35.7 billion ($14.5 million) in February, to fund schools and health care centres in northern Uganda. The social sector has been the biggest beneficiary of Japan's investment as Chinese firms eye the oil find in Uganda.
Japan is also keen on funding geothermal projects in Rwanda. The latter is looking to raise Rwf 600 billion ($1 billion) to boost its electricity production. Rwanda said it hopes to produce 300MW of geothermal power by 2017 and some European firms and China have shown interest in funding the project.
There has been a shift in the balance of trade, with the Chinese having the upper hand compared with the Japanese.
Also, while both countries were at par on the value of imports into Kenya five years ago, the Chinese have raced far ahead. Kenya's imports from China reached Ksh144 billion ($1.69 billion) compared with Japan's Ksh58.6 billion ($690 million) in 2011, according to the recently released Economic Survey 2012.
This is why Japan has been keen on playing catch up by pumping more money into regional economies. The Japan International Co-operation Agency (JICA) increased its grants to Kenya from ¥1.75 billion (Ksh1.8 billion) in 2008 to ¥2.8 billion (Ksh3.05 billion) in 2011, according to the annual report. But its official development assistance has been declining, falling to ¥1.2 billion (Ksh1.29 billion) from ¥1.6 billion (Ksh1.71 billion) in 2008. The Japanese are mostly lending to infrastructure and energy projects.
"The development of the port is considered a commercial project," said Matasura Hiroshi, head of economic co-operation at the Japanese embassy in Nairobi.
This means that a company like Toyota, which plans to import and retail secondhand cars, will benefit from the improvement of the port through faster clearance of goods. "As a government, we want to push more Japanese companies to invest in Kenya and Africa," said Mr Hiroshi.
Toyota Tsusho Corp, a Japanese firm, won the bid to build new geothermal plants worth Ksh40 billion ($481 million), cementing Japan's involvement in Kenya's geothermal power generation. The same Japanese firm has already completed a feasibility study of Kenya's Lamu port and is expected to make a financial proposal. The Lamu port appears to be the most attractive alternate route for South Sudan's oil at this time.
Other Japanese firms are also making inroads into the consumer markets. Toyota, the auto maker, earlier this month through its subsidiary Toyotsu, opened a Ksh500 million ($5.88 million) showroom in Nairobi and a spare parts shop that would allow it to scale up imports of brands such as Subaru, Daihatsu, Hino trucks and buses.
"Japan and China are large economies and they are looking for markets where they can deploy their capital," said Samuel Nyandemo, a senior lecturer in economics at the University of Nairobi. "Japan wants to show China that it can also flex its muscle and establish its presence here. It is good for Kenya to have the two competing. But the question we need to ask ourselves is how efficiently we can use their money," said Dr Nyandemo.
China promised South Sudan $8 billion in new investments earlier this month. The loan will fund roads, bridges, hydropower, agriculture, and telecommunications projects over the next two years in Africa's newest state.
"China's primary focus seems to be on the oil. Everything that they are doing seems targeted at finding ways of getting the oil faster to China," said Gitau Githongo, an economist based in Nairobi. The Chinese constructed Kenya's first super highway, the Thika Road, and have also won contracts to construct other bypass roads in Nairobi.
But the analysts are concerned that the two nations are not building local capacity.
Japan, China race to pump money into EA infrastructure projects*- Business*|theeastafrican.co.ke

Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email ftsales.support@ft.com to buy additional rights. Geothermal: Kenya pins its hopes on steam power - FT.com

June 19, 2012 10:02 pm
[h=1]Geothermal: Kenya pins its hopes on steam power[/h] By Katrina Manson

fd3c314e-90cf-4324-ac92-98ce1730fd39.img
The Menengai volcano, where engineers are hunting for steam

Deep inside the rim of the world's second-largest volcanic caldera, the smell of rotten eggs and furious clouds of white smoke hug the rugged land. Here, where the earth's crust thins as the Rift Valley twists its way north, scientists are hunting for steam.
Stephen Kalgogo, an engineer, stands at the foot of a $30m rig that plunges its drill-bit more than 2km into the sulphurous heart of the Menengai volcano, 180km north-west of Nairobi. He says: "We've drilled eight wells and found steam in every one."
More video

It is at the forefront of hopes that geothermal energy will boost Kenya's dismal power output. By channelling high pressure steam sourced deep underground to turn turbines, the government hopes to make the most of an estimated 10,000MW of geothermal potential.
For now, the entire country produces 1,200MW, serving only 20 per cent of the population, and power prices are so high that they limit manufacturing and the jobs that go with it.

[h=3]More[/h][h=4]On this story[/h]
[h=4]IN Africa & the Green Economy 2012[/h]

The approach appeals to deep-pocketed international development finance institutions that are keen to back clean energy.
Gabriel Negatu, east Africa regional director at the African Development Bank, says: "It's risky technology, but in the long term it is clean, sustainable – much more reliable than hydro, which is vulnerable to rainfall and drought – and abundant."
The bank is putting $145m into the Menengai project. The World Bank, French and Japanese development agencies and others have given more than $500m in loans and grants and promise more.

Even so, progress has been slow. Olkaria, south of Lake Naivasha in Kenya's Great Rift Valley and Africa's first geothermal power field, has taken more than 30 years to develop.
Today it produces 210MW, which makes Kenya the largest geothermal producer in Africa. However, it is a long way short of the 5,530MW target for 2030, by which time the government predicts that overall power demand will rise to 21,620MW.
Olkaria alone can produce 1,600MW, and has started drilling more projects.
"The pace of development has been slower than we wanted, partly because of the risks of hitting dry wells," says Hino Hiroyuki, economic adviser to the prime minister Raila Odinga, who is spearheading Kenya's green energy development.
To establish even a 50MW steam resource, prospectors must drill an average of 13 holes costing close to $100m just to locate the steam, and billions more are needed for large power plants. State-controlled KenGen, the country's main power generator, says the 5,000MW target is likely to cost $20bn.
The state-owned Geothermal Development Company (GDC), set up three years ago, has taken on much of the risk. It assesses and drills the holes, with a view to handing steam conversion and power generation to private investors, who can recoup their costs against fixed power prices. With the aid of loans, it is buying its own drill rigs rather than contracting expensive Chinese equipment, which will shave one-third off the cost of drilling.
But it may not be enough, says Prof Hiroyuki. "The pace of development is constrained by the amount of tax money that can be made available, or borrowings from the World Bank, African Development Bank and others," he says, mindful that some private sector groups sit on licences and wait for the value to rise.
Financiers say investors should be able to come in sooner, and GDC has asked for equity funding of up to 80 per cent for early-stage development for Menengai's phase two; this is set to deliver 800MW by 2021.
Several technological and financial developments may lower costs and make private sector participation easier.
One will reduce the lag between discovering steam and turning it into power – and money. Mini-plants installed at the well head can convert steam to power on-site, quickly and inexpensively. "Well head is the way to go for both speed and efficiency," says David Horsey of Civicom, which built Kenya's first 2.5MW wellhead at Eburru.
Construction experts say a well could be drilled for $2m, rather than government estimates of three times more.
Steam-powered energy from well head mini-plants could power rigs that are drilling other wells, saving on expensive diesel. Private sector outfits are winning bids to build well head generators next year.
The other effort is to reduce the risk of drilling dud holes through various insurance schemes, which could accelerate private investment. A geothermal risk mitigation facility from Germany's KFW Development Bank will finance 40 per cent of exploration, and Munich Re, a German insurance company, is developing a policy for Kenya.
"Kenya has a fantastic precedent in the 200MW that they have already installed," says George Delacherois Day, operations manager at UK-based Cluff Geothermal, which is interested in building a steam conversion plant at Menengai.
He says Kenya's "very nice" geothermal legal framework makes the country investor-friendly, while insurance schemes would be a great bonus: "All the mechanisms are there to get excited, and now we are looking to the Kenyan government to allow us to participate in exploration."
Geothermal: Kenya pins its hopes on steam power - FT.com

Geza i dont feel like justifying maself, that was meant to be a joke, awkey, i missed the fights too.
About bugdet and the long text (havent read it)...trust me am damn too exhausted to discuss matters delving on monetary sense. Matsuo, Kabaridi, Mekatilili, Dhuks and all have given you a credible one on one breakdown on the matter...my input will only be a grandeur repetition of there well explained exerpts, which am not willing to partake. I take a pass!

For the upteenth time does loans equal begging?
on ur shallow thinking, do u think that 27% budget support Tanzania gets is for free? if the answer is no give me the difference between a budget support and a loan from donor nations based on their repayment models!

Back
Top Bottom