President Obama: The Inauguration

Steve Dii

JF-Expert Member
Jun 25, 2007
Fox naona bado wanaendekeza vitisho, this time kwa namna yake..

Either way, are you going to be among attendees?!

Initial Enthusiasm for Obama Inauguration Might Fade With Warnings, Crowd Estimates

Barack Obama's inaugural committee has pledged to make his Jan. 20 inauguration the most 'accessible' in U.S. history, but the growing security concerns and staggering crowd estimates might just deter spectators from witnessing the historic event.

By Cristina Corbin
FoxNews.com
Sunday, January 11, 2009

President-elect Barack Obama's inaugural committee has pledged to make his Jan. 20 swearing-in ceremony the most "accessible" in U.S. history. But growing security concerns and staggering crowd estimates may be dissuading would-be witnesses from making the trip to Washington to be part of the historic event.

The Pennsylvania-based Red Lion Bus Company has canceled nearly all of its trips to Washington on inaugural week because passengers are steadily backing out of their reservations, the company's owner told FOXNews.com.
"Most passengers are canceling because they're not able to get tickets to any place where you could really see anything," said company owner Dennis Warner.

And Red Lion's passengers might not be the only ones second-guessing their travel plans.

Shortly after Obama's victory on Nov. 4, Washington Mayor Adrian Fenty said he estimated that 4 to 5 million people would attend the inauguration. City officials have reduced that number to 2 million, because it is impossible for the trains and local roads to enable 5 million spectators to reach the parade route or the ceremony at the Capitol.

"Accessibility is a big question right now," said Rebecca Pawlowski, director of communications for Washington's official tourism bureau.

"We're reminding people that the city has a lot of experience in handling big events -- it's something that happens here all the time -- but that said, this is an unprecedented crowd that's expected, so that requires a lot of patience, resilience and flexibility on the part of travelers and visitors," she said.

Obama's inaugural crowd estimates are indeed extraordinary. Lyndon B. Johnson's 1965 inauguration drew a record crowd of 1.2 million. Four years earlier, John F. Kennedy's inauguration -- blanketed in snow -- attracted approximately 1 million.

Pawlowski said the tourism bureau has received a bevy of phone calls from hopeful spectators expressing concern over everything from bathroom accessibility to weather to public transportation.

"We're advising people to do advanced planning," Pawlowski said. "Metro (the commuter rail system) is expecting unprecedented crowds, so we're encouraging people to purchase Metro tickets in advance."
The difficulty in finding a hotel room and the expense of paying for one if you do has also raised concerns among travelers.

Gail Esguerra, a guest services manager with the Grand Hyatt Hotel in downtown Washington, said the Hyatt was "flooded with phone calls" immediately after Election Day. Now, she said, the hotel's 888 rooms are sold out from Jan. 16 to the 25.

Esguerra added that the Hyatt requires a minimum 4-night stay during the inauguration period -- a requirement that most hotels in the city have instituted -- and a costly one for many out-of-towners.

Some area residents, like Kevin Talley, are hoping to cash in on the hotel frenzy by advertising their apartments for rent on Craigslist.

Talley, a 29-year-old musician who lives approximately seven blocks from the White House, is asking $3,000 for four nights -- an offer he described as "pretty cheap." He said he has gotten several phone calls but no takers, even after he lowered his price from $5,000.

Even private party hosts have scaled back. MTV reportedly gave up its location in the vaunted Reagan Building for its unofficial inaugural ball.
Heightened security measures and warnings may also discourage would-be spectators from attending the inauguration.

On Wednesday, the U.S. Secret Service, which is overseeing inauguration security, announced that all four major bridge crossings from northern Virginia into Washington will be closed -- except for bus and pedestrian traffic on the day Obama takes the oath of office.

A map released by the Secret Service shows about 3.5 square miles of downtown Washington closed to traffic starting midafternoon on Jan. 19, the day before the inauguration.

Streets will remain closed to most traffic until morning rush hour on Jan. 21, Obama's first full day as president.

The Presidential Inaugural Committee has also announced that baby carriages, backpacks and other large bags will be prohibited within all ticketed areas.

The West Front of the Capitol is entirely outdoors, and there will be no tents or other covered areas in inclement weather. The only restrooms are porta-potties, and there will be no refreshment stands, the committee said.

Asked whether the obstacles facing spectators might scale back their enthusiasm -- compelling them to watch the inauguration on television instead -- Pawlowski said, "It's hard to say. There are so many factors at play. Until the day of, it's really difficult to know."

But Linda Douglass -- chief spokeswoman for the Presidential Inaugural Committee -- said major efforts are under way to ensure "greater accessibility" for those making the trip.

Douglass said a number of events -- including a children's concert, youth ball and neighborhood ball -- will be held free of charge or at reduced fares to maximize the number of attendees. Douglass said the committee has not decided how to distribute parade tickets yet.

"It's not going to be easy to get into D.C. by car, but what we have done for our part is to allow people to view it from a vantage point near the Capitol for free," she said.

"We will be providing jumbo screens along the National Mall for free without tickets, which has not been done before. That was a key step to making sure more Americans who come to Washington can witness the swearing in."
Mimi nitabakia huku huku nikiwa nakula chutney na kuangalia screen yangu siku ya uapisho!!

Fox naona bado wanaendekeza vitisho, this time kwa namna yake..

Either way, are you going to be among attendees?!

Mimi nitabakia huku huku nikiwa nakula chutney na kuangalia screen yangu siku ya uapisho!!

...JK atakwenda? mimi najiandaa to 'call-a-sickie!', Cant wait to glue my eyes kwenye luninga, watching history unfolding!

mlioko bongo jiandaeni siku hiyo kukatika umeme, either kwa mgao au hitilafu tu za mitambo....,

...JK atakwenda? mimi najiandaa to 'call-a-sickie!', Cant wait to glue my eyes kwenye luninga, watching history unfolding!

mlioko bongo jiandaeni siku hiyo kukatika umeme, either kwa mgao au hitilafu tu za mitambo....,

"bado ni mwenyekiti wa AU" - hivyo ni lazima awepo!

CONCORD, N.H. – The first openly gay Episcopal bishop will say a prayer at the Lincoln Memorial for one of President-elect Barack Obama's first inauguration events. New Hampshire Episcopal Bishop V. Gene Robinson will deliver the invocation at an event on Sunday to kick off inauguration festivities. His selection follows weeks of criticism from gay-rights groups over Obama's decision to have the Rev. Rick Warren give the invocation at his Jan. 20 inauguration. Warren had backed a recent ballot measure banning same-sex marriage in his home state of California.
Robinson has said he was stung by Warren's selection, but still believes Obama will be the most supportive president ever for gay-rights causes.
"There's no question in my mind that he is the president who understands our issues and comes out of a background knowing what it's like to be discriminated against because of who you are," Robinson said Monday. "I think for the first time in a very long time we'll have a friend in the White House."
Robinson was an early Obama supporter, offering advice as well as his endorsement before the New Hampshire primary, which Obama lost to Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton.
Robinson said he doesn't believe he was asked to participate to calm criticism of Warren. Obama's decision to include clergymen with different views is emblematic of what kind of leader Obama will be, Robinson said.
"What it means for the nation is that Barack Obama is who he told us he was and intends to be, which is a person who unites us," Robinson said. "The fact Rick Warren and I are each giving invocations during inauguration festivities just shows that the new president means to include all Americans."
Presidential Inaugural Committee spokeswoman Linda Douglass said Robinson is one of several religious speakers who reflects Obama's commitment to diversity throughout the inaugural festivities.
"Rev. Robinson was selected on his own merit because he is a man who preaches tolerance and inclusivity, all very important values that he shares with the president-elect," Douglass said.
Obama and Vice President-elect Joe Biden will attend the inaugural kickoff and Obama is expected to speak. Robinson said his prayer will be addressed not only to Barack Obama, but also to the entire nation.
"Given the difficult circumstances we all face and given the fact we have placed so much hope on and responsibility on Barack, I think it's appropriate to remind the nation he's only a human being and he can't do all this by himself," he said. "In fact, all of us will need to play our own part."
Robinson's 2003 consecration has divided his church in the United States and abroad. Last month, theological conservatives upset by liberal views of U.S. Episcopalians and Canadian Anglicans formed a rival North American province.
Warren has offered the use of his Saddleback Church in Lake Forest, Calif., to conservative Southern California parishes that left the national Episcopal Church.

source: Gay bishop invited to pre-inauguration event in DC - Yahoo! News

"bado ni mwenyekiti wa AU" - hivyo ni lazima awepo!

...haya, na habari toka huko kijijini Nyang'oma Kogelo Kenya;

Sarah Obama starts historic journey

Published on 11/01/2009
By George Olwenya

Mama Sarah Obama has started her journey to the US to witness the swearing-in of her grandson Barack Obama as the 44th American President.

And she is not travelling empty-handed. As a grandmother, she is carrying special gifts for her grandson - a Luo traditional three-legged stool, a flywhisk and a shield, which are symbols of leadership. "I wanted to give him a spear too, but I have been told that due to security reasons, I will not be allowed to board a plane with it," Mama Sarah told The Standard.

source; The Standard | Online Edition :: Sarah Obama starts historic journey

Mambo ni kama haya basi....

slide_819_14737_large.jpg

Beautiful in black with an extravagant necklace to dress it up on June 18th, 2008 in New York

slide_819_14735_large.jpg

With Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes at Oprah's Legends Ball on May 14, 2005

slide_819_14738_large.jpg

On a post-election date with Barack, November 9, 2008

HBO wanaonyesha concert ya Obama Inauguration inayofanyika Lincoln Memorial tangu 2.30pm ET to 4.30pm ET vizuri zaidi kuliko CNN.

Bye Bye LeanBack see you in 2016 when another dem president will be in office

U.S.-President-elect-Bara-005.jpg

slide_839_14896_large.jpg

"And yet as I stand here tonight,what gives me the greatest hope of all is not the stone and marble that surrounds us today but what fills the space in between.It is you...

slide_839_14897_large.jpg

slide_839_14902_large.jpg

slide_839_14898_large.jpg

slide_839_14899_large.jpg

Pete Seeger,Bruce Springsteen,Beyonce, Will.I.Am

slide_839_14885_large.jpg

slide_839_14889_large.jpg

slide_839_14895_large.jpg

U2's Bono

slide_839_14883_large.jpg

Bruce Springsteen

slide_839_14900_large.jpg

Shakira,Stevie Wonder, Usher

slide_839_14894_large.jpg

Mary J Blige

slide_839_14891_large.jpg

slide_839_14887_large.jpg

Denzel Washington

slide_839_14901_large.jpg

Obama greets Tiger Woods

Obama greets Tiger Woods[/CENTER][/QUOTE]

I recognize that Tiger doesn't have his wedding ring on!is he flying solo?

Last edited:
This is sickening............I can't take this anymore....

....I Barack Hussein Obama I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the office of the President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United St....God help me....wivu utakuua ng'ombe wewe!

Today, 05:21 PM
Invisible

Re; Mchemsho wa TANESCO? Nchi nzima haina umeme

Umeme umekatika nchi nzima. Masaa mawili sasa.

...niliwaambia mimi, hamkunisikiza au mlidhani natania?

Back
Top Bottom