Pres. Obama Supports Building of Mosque Near Ground Zero

Ab-Titchaz

JF-Expert Member
Jan 30, 2008
Obama throws support behind controversial Islamic center

t1larg.ground.zero.mosque.gi.jpg

A protester holds up a sign opposing a mosque near ground zero during a NYC Landmarks Commission hearing on August 3.

Washington (CNN) -- President Obama threw his support behind a controversial proposal to build an Islamic center and mosque near New York's ground zero, saying Friday that "Muslims have the same right to practice their religion as anyone else in this country," according to remarks distributed by the White House.

"Let me be clear: as a citizen, and as President, I believe that Muslims have the same right to practice their religion as anyone else in this country," Obama said, according to prepared remarks released before a speech.
"That includes the right to build a place of worship and a community center on private property in lower Manhattan, in accordance with local laws and ordinances," he said.
Obama was speaking at a White House Iftar dinner celebrating the Islamic holy month of Ramadan.

The president's remarks drew praise from New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who announced his support for the Islamic center last week.

Bloomberg compared Obama's speech to a letter President George Washington wrote in support of a Jewish congregation in Newport, Rhode Island. "President Obama's words tonight evoked President Washington's own August reminder that 'all possess alike liberty,' " Bloomberg said in a statement.

"I applaud President Obama's clarion defense of the freedom of religion tonight," he said.
The president invoked the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, which critics of the Islamic center cite as the main reason for preventing its construction.

"We must all recognize and respect the sensitivities surrounding the development of lower Manhattan," Obama said, according to his prepared remarks. "The 9/11 attacks were a deeply traumatic event for our country."

"The pain and suffering experienced by those who lost loved ones is unimaginable," he continued. "So I understand the emotions that this issue engenders. Ground Zero is, indeed, hallowed ground."

But Obama argued that American ideals and the Constitution demanded that the project proceed.

"This is America, and our commitment to religious freedom must be unshakable," he said. "The principle that people of all faiths are welcome in this country, and will not be treated differently by their government, is essential to who we are. The writ of our Founders must endure."

The proposed Islamic center has provoked vocal opposition from some families of 9/11 victims and other groups. Nearly 70 percent of Americans oppose the plan, according to CNN/Opinion Research Corporation Poll released Wednesday.

The project's leaders say they plan to build the $100 million, 13-story facility called Cordoba House three blocks from the site of the 9/11 attacks. The developer, Sharif El-Gamal, describes the project as an "Islamic community center" that will include a 500-seat performing arts center, a lecture hall, a swimming pool, a gym, a culinary school, a restaurant and a prayer space for Muslims.

On Wednesday, the project's developers declined an offer by New York Gov. David Paterson to relocate the project to a state-owned site.

Earlier this month, the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission unanimously denied landmark status for the building where the proposed Islamic center would stand, allowing the project to move forward.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/08/13/obama.islamic.center.support/index.html?hpt=T1&iref=BN1

Unajua nilicheka sana siku namuona Billy O'reilly of Faux nuwz eti anasema there is nothing wrong kujenga hiyo Islamic centre lakini feelings za watu lazima ziheshimiwe. Akatoa mfano eti it will be a big offence morally kujenga a japanese shrine in Pearl harbor. Sasa with that kind of thinking wht about the Anglican churchs in former British colonies, say Bulawayo where lots of King Lobeng'ula pple were killed by English men??????

Yaani hawa wamarekani, especially conservatives wana mawazo ya ajabu sana sometimes, and that why sensible pple do think of them as just bunch of jerks. Ukisikia comments zinazotolewa na hawa jaamaa kuhusu hii ishu, utagundua kuna a big hypocrisy behind their minds. Na Faux wameipoliticize hii kwa manufaa ya republicans.

The same pple wanojifanya kwamba they want the govt out of their way, sasa wanauliza et serikali inasemaje kuhusu hii ishu, wengi wanatamani ikiwezekana serikali iingilie na kukataza ujenzi huu.

Obama atakuwa one term president believe me..hawezi tena kupata urais kwa kuwa-please minority while majority are against it..time will tell!

If I was President Obama, I would not have commented on this issue anytime soon since there is still a back and forth dialogue. I would have left the responsible parties to deal with it.

Obama atakuwa one term president believe me..hawezi tena kupata urais kwa kuwa-please minority while majority are against it..time will tell!

Kwa hiyo wewe mkuu unafikiri this one issue ndiyo disqualification ya Obama kukamata tena 2nd term? Halafuj mbona unafikiria kitanzania tanzania, Obama hapa siyo kwamba ametoa ruksa bali ametoa maoni yake yeye kama mmarekani na pia kama raisi. If I try to understand your comments is as if unafikiri Obama ametoa maamuzi kama wanavyofanyaga akina Kikwete kwamba hiyo centre ijengwe!

Mkuu alichokiongea Obama na pia before Mayor Blomberg ni principles, of which regardless of mtazamo binafsi ukweli ndiyo huo!

He is the president of the United States and it is his duty to protect the minority and not just do what's popular. Even if he becomes a one term president I will highly respect him for trying to do the right thing and not just the popular thing. How may presidents were demonized and history came to tell a different story? Time will tell.

The problem I have with this issue is saying that the Islamic centre shouldn't be built because of the 9/11 attacks. Now if you say that it means you are implying that the Muslims in America are one in the same with the fundamentalists who committed the crime. I know they won't directly admit it and I know they will find every reason to justify their views but you can't tell me that this is not a prejudice mentality at worst or an ignorant view at best.

The problem I have with this issue is saying that the Islamic centre shouldn't be built because of the 9/11 attacks. Now if you say that it means you are implying that the Muslims in America are one in the same with the fundamentalists who committed the crime. I know they won't directly admit it and I know they will find every reason to justify their views but you can't tell me that this is not a prejudice mentality at worst or an ignorant view at best.

Here is your Barack Hussein Osama sorry Obama:

barack_hussein_osama2.jpg

Obama (aka Osama) anapanda mbegu kwa kuwalamba miguu hawa wakubwa:

c60bf53ef011570bd1273970b500wi-vi.jpg

At the end of the day Obama will reap what he is sowing today!

obamaandahmadinejad2-vi.jpg

Wamarekani waache kuwa watu wa emotions tu!Hawana sababu za msingi za kukataza ujenzi wa hiyo centre ya waislamu.At times yaani unapigwa na butwaa na hawa wamarekani.Nafikiri kuna nyakati wanagoma kufikiria na wanatumia hisia zao kufanya maamuzi.And that's where Obama anapokuja...huyu jamaa hata akiwa president wa muhala moja bado itakuwa na maana sana kuliko JK ambaye sasa anagombea muhala wa pili huku akiwa hana la kutisha ambalo amelifanya!

Obama (aka Osama) anapanda mbegu kwa kuwalamba miguu hawa wakubwa:

c60bf53ef011570bd1273970b500wi-vi.jpg

At the end of the day Obama will reap what he is sowing today!

obamaandahmadinejad2-vi.jpg
:A S 41:Ha ha ha.....hizi huitwa DEMAGOGY POLITICS. Kumbe Fox News wanawafuasi TZ?

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"- The US Const. First Ammandment.
Hayo ndio maandishi ya kwanza kabisa kwenye KATIBA ya wenzetu.

If I was President Obama, I would not have commented on this issue anytime soon since there is still a back and forth dialogue. I would have left the responsible parties to deal with it.

Mkuu that is not leadership, hiyo ni namna watu kama akina JK wanavyohandle mambo yao!

[SIZE=+0]President Obama Defends Freedom of Religion in America
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]
Obama08142010.gif
[/SIZE]

Source: ISNA

(Plainfield, IN - Aug 14, 2010) Friday evening, at an iftar hosted at the White House, President Obama issued a clear statement that the rights of Muslims to practice their religion in America must be protected. President Obama spoke for the first time on the controversy surrounding the construction of "Cordoba House," a proposed mosque and Islamic Center in New York City, New York.
[SIZE=+0]
Some are calling this one of the most courageous acts taken by a president lately. Civil rights lawyer and author Glenn Greenwald called this "one of the most impressive and commendable things Obama has done since being inaugurated."

More than 100 Muslim leaders from around the world joined President Obama at Friday's White House iftar, including ISNA President Dr. Ingrid Mattson and ISNA Vice President Imam Mohamed Magid. Muslim diplomats from around the world, political, religious, and community leaders were also in attendance at the dinner.

"Let me be clear: as a citizen, and as president, I believe that Muslims have the same right to practice their religion as everyone else in this country," said the President, adding, "That includes the right to build a place of worship and a community center on private property in lower Manhattan, in accordance with local laws and ordinances. This is America, and our commitment to religious freedom must be unshakable."

Many conservatives and family members of those who lost loved ones in the tragic 9-11 attacks have issued concerns about the building of the mosque so close to the site of the tragedy. Speaking in direct response to their concerns last night, President Obama said America must never forget the tragedy of 9-11 and we must honor those who died working and providing relief that day, Muslims included, but that we must not confuse terrorists with the religion itself.

"Let us always remember who we are fighting against, and what we are fighting for. Our enemies respect no freedom of religion. Al Qaeda's cause is not Islam - it is a gross distortion of Islam. These are not religious leaders - these are terrorists," said the President.

The President spoke highly of the diversity that is the United States, stating, "Our patchwork heritage is a strength, not a weakness. We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus - and non-believers. We are shaped by every language and culture, drawn from every end of this Earth...today our nation is strengthened by millions of Muslim Americans."

He also spoke to the long history of Presidential support for iftars and the diversity within the Muslim faith, "Tonight, we are reminded that Ramadan is a celebration of a faith known for great diversity. And Ramadan is a reminder that Islam has always been part of America. The first Muslim ambassador to the United States, from Tunisia, was hosted by President Jefferson, who arranged a sunset dinner for his guest because it was Ramadan-making it the first known iftar at the White House, more than 200 years ago."

ISNA President Dr. Ingrid Mattson states, "ISNA thanks the President for his strong and articulate support of the Muslim community and our rights here tonight. It was made clear that the right to religious freedom for all, including Muslim Americans, is supported by our President"

Earlier last week, New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg also issued his strong statement of support for the Cordoba House and protection of religious freedom for Muslims and all Americans.

"ISNA is proud of the positive leadership shown by President Obama and Mayor Michael Bloomberg. There is more work to be done to protect the civil rights of Muslim Americans, and ISNA hopes elected officials across the country will join the President and Mayor to bravely protect those rights as well," said Dr. Mattson.
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0][SIZE=+0]
To view video of the entire speech of President Obama at the White House Iftar, please click here.

[/SIZE][/SIZE]
(Photo Courtesy of CNN)

Mkuu that is not leadership, hiyo ni namna watu kama akina JK wanavyohandle mambo yao!

Sawa mkuu...lakini JK hawezi kulinganishwa na Mr. Obama katika utendaji...kwasababu....he (JK) behaves as if he has "No Clue" and I think he (JK) really has no clue about his job.

Sasa jamani, what did you expect the guy to say as the president. USA is a country 'of the free and home of the brave'...sasa basi, every religion is welcome here. That's why you will find GAY pastors nk...., na kila aina ya dini...jews, buddism, xtrianity, Islam, hinduism, bahai, atheism, KKK, paganism, cults, nk..hata ma-rastafarai..
So If he had said NO to the building of this center, he would have been a HYPOCRITE to say the least.

Hapa watu wanabishana but kwangu Obama kasema what is Right. Ni sawa na mambo ya mahakama ya kadhi Tanzania kuna watu wanasupport kwa sababu zao nzuri tu kuna wengine wanapinga kwa sababu zao nzui vile vile. Lakini ukweli ukifuata Ethics na kuondoa ushabiki no mater uwe dini gani no matter uwe upande upi jibu lipo wazi.

SO hapa Obama kafanya kitu right kafuaata ethics na muongozo wa katiba ya nchi yake na ameweka ushabiki pembeni.

Hawa Republican conservative na muslim fundamentalist deserve one another,wote ni washenzi tuu na ndio mwanzo wa matatizo mengi dunia hii,Republicans wanajidai wanaheshimu freedom of religion ambayo iko rooted kwenye first amendment lakini kwenye dini ya islam wanataka iwe tofauti na hao waislam ndio wabaya zaidi na wanaweza hata kukuua kwa sababu tuu sio muislam,hawa wote na racism code zao,gay bashing,homophobe,ant chris/islam etc game yao ni moja tuu na wangeachiwa one will eliminate the other...wana haki na waruhusiwe tuu kujenga huo msikiti ila i wish the opposite ijengwe gay club,tolerance everybody?...ah ahaha ahahah!

Tatizo ninaloliona hapa si Obama ku-comment au kuto-comment. Tatizo ni 24 hours news circle. Media zinatafuta vitu vya kuuzia habari na hasa conflicts. Kuna yule mshenzi mmoja ambaye baba yake alikuwa hajui hata ku-spell "Potato" katoa Ad ya kumkandia Obama kapata air time ile mbaya. Hapa hakuna issue. Kama kweli mtu unaamini constitution basi Obama is your hero. Unapoanza kujilinganisha na wewe na mwehu basi wote mtakuwa ni wehu. Kusema kuwa huwezi kuruhusiwa kujenga kanisa Saudi wakati wewe una misingi yako ya maisha ni kutaka kusema kuwa unataka kuishi kama Saudi(big victory to al qaeda). Yeye akijisaidia sebuleni wewe unajisaidia jikoni.