Poor English denies many jobs, promotion - director

Sungi

Apr 29, 2009
Poor English denies many jobs, promotion - director

By Rosemary Mirondo

11th May 2010

Many Tanzanians are not offered senior positions in their professions despite having same qualifications as foreigners because they lack skills of expressing themselves during interviews, it has been learnt.
The remarks were made recently by See Vee Director Gloria Jacobs at an interview with The Guardian in Dar es Salaam.
She said that many Tanzanians failed to get employment because they relied on people they knew to get them jobs instead of using their skills to impress their interviewers.
She said that according to a research she conducted recently, some of the graduates were going without jobs because they lacked good expression skills.
Jacob stressed that many firms were owned by foreign investors who targeted people with good command of English in managerial positions.
She noted that despite many Tanzanians being highly educated; quite a number of them did not have good commands of the English language, thereby failing to express themselves well during interviews.
“Many lack good command of English to express themselves or during presentations, thus losing the opportunities to attain big positions in their careers,” she said.
Elaborating, she said that the education given was not meant to prepare people to speak perfect English, but to pass exams. She added that many students did not practice to speak English at home or in school compounds.
Jacob plans to work with university graduates to help them in a number of areas including understanding how to express themselves, write curriculum vitae and cover letters.
She said that she also planned to help them learn how to approach their employers and how to answer psychological questions that looked easy but needed attentive answers.

SOURCE: THE GUARDIAN

Halafu oooh, Kiingereza si muhimu, lugha ya mkoloni, elimu ya juu tuweke Kiswahili, kujua Kiingereza si kujua kazi etc.

No wonder tukija na Kiingereza chetu cha kujifunzia ukubwani hapa watu wanaona tuna floss Kumbe ni cha kawaida ila kwa sababu kwetu Kiswahili kina nguvu sana, hata mtu ukiongea/ kuandika Kiingereza chenye msamiati standard unaonekana una pull some deliberate "spookyness action at a distance" Einstenian stunts.

Nikisema "I am not spoeaking too fast, most of us are listening too slow" kuna watu wanabisha.

Jacob stressed that many firms were owned by foreign investors who targeted people with good command of English in managerial positions.

ndio maana wakenya wanapata kazi za umeneja bongo?

Many lack good command of English to express themselves or during presentations, thus losing the opportunities to attain big positions in their careers," she said. Elaborating, she said that the education given was not meant to prepare people to speak perfect English, but to pass exams. She added that many students did not practice to speak English at home or in school compounds. Jacob plans to work with university graduates to help them in a number of areas including understanding how to express themselves, write curriculum vitae and cover letters. She said that she also planned to help them learn how to approach their employers and how to answer psychological questions that looked easy but needed attentive answers.

inasikitisha kweli

Halafu oooh, Kiingereza si muhimu, lugha ya mkoloni, elimu ya juu tuweke Kiswahili, kujua Kiingereza si kujua kazi etc.

No wonder tukija na Kiingereza chetu cha kujifunzia ukubwani hapa watu wanaona tuna floss Kumbe ni cha kawaida ila kwa sababu kwetu Kiswahili kina nguvu sana, hata mtu ukiongea/ kuandika Kiingereza chenye msamiati standard unaonekana una pull some deliberate "spookyness action at a distance" Einstenian stunts.

Nikisema "I am not spoeaking too fast, most of us are listening too slow" kuna watu wanabisha.
Read the article critically, then you'll understand the smartness of the one who uttered that statement. She is mistakenly equate english with professionalism. That is very sad for the Director to fail to put a demarcation between lingua and professional. Now look at her statement then you'll understand what I explained above. ''Elaborating she said that the education given was not meant to prepare people to speak perfect English, but to pass exams''. So for her, the aim of education of any territory is to prepare students to speak a good lingua and not to be good professionals. I think if she is smart, she could challenge something which is tangible and sensible such as ''the education given was not meant to prepare people to be professionals, but to pass exams'' (which is not the case in tz ).
Pliz kiranga dont take vague assertion which has no empirical evidence. Watakucheka watu.

Thanks
Eliakeem.

Read the article critically, then you'll understand the smartness of the one who uttered that statement. She is mistakenly equate english with professionalism. That is very sad for the Director to fail to put a demarcation between lingua and professional. Now look at her statement then you'll understand what I explained above. ''Elaborating she said that the education given was not meant to prepare people to speak perfect English, but to pass exams''. So for her, the aim of education of any territory is to prepare students to speak a good lingua and not to be good professionals. I think if she is smart, she could challenge something which is tangible and sensible such as ''the education given was not meant to prepare people to be professionals, but to pass exams'' (which is not the case in tz ).
Pliz kiranga dont take vague assertion which has no empirical evidence. Watakucheka watu.

Thanks
Eliakeem.

mkuu,juzi kati hapo serikali ilibadili lugha ya kazi kuwa kiswahili,lakini kabla ilikuwa kiingereza,sasa utakuwaje professional wa nchi ambayo official lnguage ni kiingereza halafu hujui kiingereza??

Lugha lugha bongo inagomba sana. Kuna watu wana degree za kila aina lakini lugha ya wenyewe haipandi. Kuna wajuzi wa kuandika kiingereza kizuri lakini kuongea ulimi mzito. Somo la Kiingereza bado ni muhimu sana mashuleni. Hiyo tukubali au tukatae ni ukweli wenyewe.

Thanks
Eliakeem.

You cannot be a proper world class professional if you cannot communicate well. If the nature of these companies is international as it is increasingly becoming the case, you cannot communicate well if your English is poor.

This inherently entrenches the issue of English with ability to communicate, essentially English figures into communication skills.

You can't dispute that, especially in a world economy setting.

...too good to be true; See Vee LTD is a very young company in Tanzania to come up with such abusive allegations to our graduates. Is this a researched allegation or a pure propaganda with the aim of achieving a hidden agenda?. I would buy this nonsense if such allegations would have brought in by a Mature organization like Radar or may be Prospects Africa. I am sorry to say that, the so called Director is in search of a cheap publicity.

Schools should refrain from preparing their potential graduands to just be in good command of English (as the so called Director is trying to maliciously convince us). This alone will (if you are luck) just put you there, but it will not make you sustain the challenges of a senior position. A senior position requires three important things: A person who thinks, feels and acts accordingly.

...too good to be true; See Vee LTD is a very young company in Tanzania to come up with such abusive allegations to our graduates. Is this a researched allegation or a pure propaganda with the aim of achieving a hidden agenda?. I would buy this nonsense if such allegations would have brought in by a Mature organization like Radar or may be Prospects Africa. I am sorry to say that, the so called Director is in search of a cheap publicity.

Schools should refrain from preparing their potential graduands to just be in good command of English (as the so called Director is trying to maliciously convince us). This alone will (if you are luck) just put you there, but it will not make you sustain the challenges of a senior position. A senior position requires three important things: A person who thinks, feels and acts accordingly.

Mazee wewe mwenyewe ulivyoandika tu hapo juu tayari una validate point yao. Kibaya zaidi, hata tukiacha swala la Kiingereza, comprehension inaonekana kuwa tatizo.

And from your swagger I take it you are supposed to be among the better ones.

Sasa hao vilaza wenyewe sijui watakuwaje.

Kiranga,

You don't know what you are talking about Sis. Anyway, may be some of us are trying to deviate from the theme of the thread. You are also among the better ones, I think. Una interest na See Vee?

Kiranga,

You don't know what you are talking about Sis. Anyway, may be some of us are trying to deviate from the theme of the thread. You are also among the better ones, I think. Una interest na See Vee?

Huwezi kupingana na ukweli kwamba Kiingereza chetu kibovu, wewe mwenyewe katika kujitutumua kuwabishia kwamba "graduands" wetu wana Kiingereza kizuri na hiki kikampuni hakina credibility, umeharibu Kiingereza, na ndiyo maana nikasema una validate point yao.

Zaidi ya hapo unaonyesha kwamba tukiacha Kiingereza, hata comprehension kwako ni tatizo.Watu wakisema kwamba Watanzania wanakosa promotion kwa sababu hawajui Kiingereza hawana maana kwamba ukijua Kiingereza bila kujua kazi utapeta, Kiingereza ni shehemu tu ya skill set ya kazi hizi, sasa unaweza ku argue kwamba Kiingereza si muhimu kwa kazi zetu za nyumbani, lakini watu wanataka watu wanaoweza ku interact na dunia.

Zaidi ya hapo, hata ukisema Kiingereza si muhimu, huwezi kubisha kwamba comprehension nayo si muhimu.Inaonekana wewe na wenzako mnashindwa si Kiingereza tu, bali hata comprehension.

Hata mimi ningepewa kazzi ya kuanzisha an international outfit hapo bongo watu wenye communication and comprehension skills fyongo kama wewe ningepiga panga tu.

Usinichefue nianze kui dissect post yako kukuonyesha exactly kwa nini wanasema kiingereza chetu kinatapisha Mr. Better One.

Kiranga,

I am not saying that you are a shallow minded chap, and am also not saying that you want cheap publicity. But frankly speaking you have missed out all the three important criteria of a senior chap! There is no thinking, there is no feeling and there is no sense of acting in you!! No wonder you are just where you are!!

Kiranga,

I am not saying that you are a shallow minded chap, and am also not saying that you want cheap publicity. But frankly speaking you have missed out all the three important criteria of a senior chap! There is no thinking, there is no feeling and there is no sense of acting in you!! No wonder you are just where you are!!

Mazeee bora uandike Kiswahili tu, maana kama katika jitihada zako za kujionyesha wewe ni "senior chap" (WTF? unatoa hiyo bullshyt katika cult gani? FYI, I don't believe in cults) inakubidi uandike Kiingereza kilichopindia kwenye Zoroastrianism zaidi kuliko kueleweka, you are doing yourself and your audience a disservice.

Address issues nilizoraise hapo juu.

1.Watanzania majority hatujui Kiingereza
2. Katika kujitutumua kupinga point 1, na kuandika kwa Kiingereza, ume ongezea kuonyesha kwamba Watanzania hatujui Kiingereza, kwa kuchemsha katika Kiingereza.
3.Zaidi ya Kiingereza inaonekana hata comprehension nayo ni tatizo.

Na sasa unakuja ku spin tilalala nyingi.

Bisha kwamba Watanzania level yetu ya Kiingereza katika mawasiliano ya kimataifa hairidhishi.

Hayo mambo mengine ya shallow minded chjap and what not nani kasema kwamba umesema? Na kama hakuna mtu aliyesema kwamba umesema kwa nini unajisikia ulazima wa kusema kwamba hukusema?

Unakuwa kama mtoto anayesema "sijaiba sukari" wakati hamna mtu yeyote aliyesema "umeiba sukari". Au ulikuwa na nia ya kunitukana rejareja na sasa unajihami?

Kiranga ndio maana nikasema hujui unasema nini, ukiangalia hiyo post yangu ya mwisho...na kama ungekuwa na akili ya kawaida tu, ungejua hayo yote ninayosema sijasema, maana yake nimesema hivyo!! duh, unafanya nini huko wewe? turudishie aibu yetu huku nyumbani. Mtoto kwa mama hakui hahaha

Kiranga ndio maana nikasema hujui unasema nini, ukiangalia hiyo post yangu ya mwisho...na kama ungekuwa na akili ya kawaida tu, ungejua hayo yote ninayosema sijasema, maana yake nimesema hivyo!! duh, unafanya nini huko wewe? turudishie aibu yetu huku nyumbani. Mtoto kwa mama hakui hahaha

Dude!!

ungejua hayo yote ninayosema sijasema, maana yake nimesema hivyo!!

Dude, seriously?

ungejua hayo yote ninayosema sijasema, maana yake nimesema hivyo!!

Sasa unanitia shaka kwamba hapa issue si Kiingereza tu, maana hata Kiswahili kujieleza shida.

Sasa "ungejua hayo yote ninayosema sijasema, maana yake nimesema hivyo!!" maana yake nini?

Sasa nishaona.

1. Hujui Kiingereza
2. Hujui comprehension
3. Hujui Kiswahili

Nilifikiri ukiandika Kiswahili utaeleweka, kumbe...

Endelea kujivua nguo hadharani tu.

Kiranga,

Kama jina lako linavyojulikana huku kwetu, kumbe hamnazo, una kiranga! Haya ndugu ngoja nijilaze mie, ni usiku huku. Nilifundishwa hivi nilipokuwa shule 'never argue with........." Malizia hicho kiingereza chako kizuri.

Kiranga,

Kama jina lako linavyojulikana huku kwetu, kumbe hamnazo, una kiranga! Haya ndugu ngoja nijilaze mie, ni usiku huku. Nilifundishwa hivi nilipokuwa shule 'never argue with........." Malizia hicho kiingereza chako kizuri.

Umeshindwa ku address issues unakimbia sasa, kama kawaida.

1. Hujui Kiingereza
2. Hujui comprehension
3. Hujui Kiswahili
4. Coward

Siku nyingine usilete nationalistic pride kuubishia ukweli.

This article is very true, I am a form 6 graduate and I know for a fact that the education system in this forsaken country only prepares us to 'pass' exams, I can honestly say that more than half of my class couldn't express themselves properly in English and most of them have the nerve to say that it doesn't really matter because Kiswahili is the 'national' language while English is the colonial language (seriously are people living in the dark ages??), it makes me wonder what foreign company will hire them with such shallow thinking.
Any body who doesn't agree that most Tanzanians are poor English speakers is only ridiculing himself, that is the sad reality so just suck it up instead of making a fool of yourself with silly denials.

This article is very true, I am a form 6 graduate and I know for a fact that the education system in this forsaken country only prepares us to 'pass' exams, I can honestly say that more than half of my class couldn't express themselves properly in English and most of them have the nerve to say that it doesn't really matter because Kiswahili is the 'national' language while English is the colonial language (seriously are people living in the dark ages??), it makes me wonder what foreign company will hire them with such a shallow thinking.
Any body who doesn't agree that most Tanzanians are poor English speakers is only ridiculing himself, that is the sad reality so just suck it up instead of making a fool of yourself with silly denials.

Ahsante,

Halafu kuna trend moja naiona hapa.Watu wenye afadhali kwa maana ya kuweza kujieleza kwa Kiingereza kizuri (kama huyu form six leaver wetu hapo juu, standard English hii) ndio wa kwanza kukubali kwamba hatujui Kiingereza.

Wakati watu mijibaba inayoboronga Kiingereza cha "a propaganda" na "you are luck" kama jibaba 'senior chap" Mundu pale juu, wanaobisha kwamba hatujui Kiingereza, wanaonekana hawajui Kiingereza na in this case actually zaidi ya Kiingereza kama nilivyoelezea hapo juu katika list yangu.

Hii inanipa wazo, hivi inawezekana mtu asiyejua Kiingereza, kwa sababu hajui kanuni na masamiati katika lugha hiyo, inawezekana asijue kwamba hajui Kiingereza?

Inawezekana kujua Kiingereza kukaenda sambamba na globalism, na kutojua kiingereza kukaenda sambamba na parochialism, mediocre and even blind patriotism inayotupa false defence ya "Kiingereza ni lugha ya mkoloni" na "unaweza kufanya kazi vizuri katika worldstage bila kujua kiingereza'

Huyo Ally Hassan Mwinyi mwenyewe (jina lake Mwinyi for god's sake, huyo mswahili halisi) anakwambia "Kiingereza ni Kiswahili cha dunia", akimaanisha kama Kiswahili kinavyounganisha Watanzania wa sehemu mbalimbali, kiingereza kinaunganisha watu wa kutoka sehemu mbalimbali za ulimwengu.

Sasa kuna watu wanabisha umuhimu wa kiingereza, wengine wanakataa kwamba as a country tuna tatizo la kiingereza.

Ubishi tu!

We have to learn to live with facts and face reality. The reality is that English is still and will be for a long time an important part of job opportunities. We want Swahili to be the language used in higher education citing examples like Asian countries such as Japan, China and North Korea. What we don't understand is that these countries have big enough local companies to employ their people. Now for us we depend on foreign investments but still expect our language to be given priority. The choices are simple. Learn English and be competitive in the current foreign investment fueled job market or develop our own industries so that we can employ our own people. Fow now I wouldn't hold my breath and just learn English.

Back
Top Bottom