Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Police arrest sureties for BoT official

Discussion in 'Habari na Hoja mchanganyiko' started by Invisible, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Invisible

Invisible Admin Staff Member

Oct 21, 2009
    By Bernard James
    The Citizen
    October 21, 2009

Two men who presented themselves in court as sureties for a senior Bank of Tanzania (BoT) official charged along three others allegedly for the loss of Sh104 billion, were yesterday arrested by police and anti-corruption officials for questioning for allegedly presenting fake title deeds in court.

District Registrar of the High Court (Dar es Salaam zone), Mr Lameck Mlacha, ordered the sureties be handed over to police pending further verification of title deeds and valuation reports they tendered in court for bail purposes.

BoT officials are standing trial for causing the loss allegedly through inflating the cost of printing new bank notes in yet another major scandal to hit the central bank in less than two years.

They are Mr Kisima Thobias Mkango, deputy director in charge of currency, Mr Bosco Ndimbo Kimela, acting director of legal services, Mr Ally Farjallah Bakari, director of banking and Mr Simon Eliezer Jengo. They have applied for bail pending trial.

Last Friday the court heard a bail application by the fourth accused, Mr Ally Farijallah Bakari whereby three men presented themselves to the court as his sureties, with three title deeds worth billions of shillings for bail purposes.

The presented title deeds were number 107622 for plot number 4 located in Gerezani area worth Sh5.4 billion property of Mr Hamad Juma; number 105046 for plot number 247 block E Mbezi Beach owned by David Majebele worth Sh3.6 billion and another title deed number 79918 for plot number 74 Gerezani area owned by Mr Musa Nyuki worth Sh5.8 billion.

But state attorney Felex Sedekia told the court that the State was doubtful of the authenticity of the title deeds and valuation reports for the properties. He said he had instructions to verify the documents with the Ministry of Lands and prayed for more time to do so.

There was drama in court when the case came for hearing yesterday when the State inquired about the title deeds and valuation reports. Lawyer for Mr Farijallah, Mr Richard Rweyongeza was the first to ask for a feedback.

Mr Rweyongeza: I was informed by state attorney that the documents had been taken for verification. I would like to know the result.

Mr Sedekia: The verification on certificate number 105046 for plot 247 block E Mbezi Beach, has been reported lost on July 15, 2008 and advertised in Government Gazette dated October 24, last year. A new title deed was issued on December 10, 2008. This means that the title deed was cancelled. Other title deeds have no problem.

It means the title deeds cannot be used for bail purposes. We also wish to notify the court that we wish to move on investigation regarding the title deeds and valuation reports.

Mr Rweyongeza: Today we can't do much. We also wish to verify this.
    Court: Mr Majebele (one of the sureties), how could this happen?
    Majebele: I went to the Ministry of Lands and met a youngman outside who received me. I paid him. He then prepared the valuation reports and handed them to me.

Court: Did you enter his office? Majebele: No, but I can identify him if I see him. I didn't even see the one who signed it.

After the discussion, Mr Mlacha ordered that the title deeds and valuation reports be handed to police for investigation.

"Mr Majebele shall also remain in police custody for further questioning in the matter. Other people who have the valuation reports should also be handed over to police for questioning," Mr Mlacha ordered.

Soon after the order, the police and Prevention and Combating of Corruption Bureau (PCCB) officials arrested Mr Majebele and another surety whose name could not be known immediately. The third surety sneaked out of the court room as he smelt danger.