PM: Beware of swindlers selling national IDs

BabuK

JF-Expert Member
Jul 30, 2008
Prime Minister Mizengo Pinda has cautioned the public against dishonest people deceiving people that national identity cards are sold.

Pinda was reacting to a question from Betty Machangu (Special Seats) who had wanted to know progress made in the national IDs project being implemented by the National Identification Authority (Nida).

He said they have been receiving reports that some people were deceiving others that the IDs were sold. Some say the IDs are being sold at between 50,000/- and 60,000/-Dont be deceived. The government is fully funding the project and the IDs will be issued free of charge, stressed Pinda.

He said the project progressed very well and that it has reached in the implementation stage. The officers have started taking finger prints and photos from public servants, he noted.
Pinda informed the House that the project was being implemented in phases and that Nida would update the public in the course of time.

The government said in February that it would start issuing national IDs on April 26, this year, after completing registration of civil servants in Tanzania Mainland and Zanzibar.

According to Nida production director Joseph Makani, besides civil servants phase I will also involve residents of Kilombero district in Morogoro region where, a pilot registration project was being implemented.
Speaking to reporters at a one-day preliminary identification training programme last weekend, he said that the IDs would be issued to three groups on the Tanganyika and Zanzibar Union Day.

He said in phase I, identification and registration would involve all public servants in ministries and its institutions including security organs. He noted that phase I had been successful and phase II would start in Kilombero district to register citizens, visitors and refugees and would later be implemented in Dar es Salaam.
Makani said Nida had planned to speed up the registration process for the IDs because
Kilombero district would provide answers for implementation in other areas. We expect Kilombero to be an exampleSo, we must ensure it succeeds, he stressed.

SOURCE: THE GUARDIAN[/COLOR]

Kuna wasomali wengi tu wanasubiri hivyo vitambulisho wanunue kieleweke