PD 7: The Trajectory of Corruption And The Miseducation of A Tanzanian

Mzee Mwanakijiji

Platinum Member
Mar 10, 2006
By. M. M. Mwanakijiji

Corruption moves from less corruption to more corruption. That is the natural trajectory of corruption. In rare occasions, a society might witness the unusual movement from more corruption to less corruption.
However, a corrupt people will most likely entertain more corruption.

The main reason of such a movement is that corruption has a tendency to desensitize a mind. As moral theorists would argue or pyschoanalyists would observe (i don't know how philosophers will reason) whenever a person repeat a certain action that seem to reward him/her with some kind of pleasurable experience (emotional, financial, physical etc) that person would mostly likely repeat that same action.

But, at a certain point in that trajectory a person would want to have more corruption in order to receive or induce if you will, the same level of gratification or that particular pleasurable reward that he/she gets from corruption.

Bigger houses demand more corruption, more money in the account will demand more corruption.. etc!

For this reason, corruption has an inherent power to addict those who practice it. To the point, living without it is almost impossible to these people. In a corrupt society any attempt to remove or fight corruption will be met with the strongest possible opposition.

If those addicted to corruption include the most powerful individuals in the society or in the government or even richest (as it normally does), then the opposition sometimes can become deadly. Those who stand up against corrupt public officials, corrupt organizations or influential individuals will definitely face not just mere opposition but in some cases indeed, elimination.

But, an ordinary Tanzanian (educated or not) is phenomenally marinated in the miseducation of the trajectory of corruption. Believing (wrongly) not fighting corruption will result into less corruption. Believing (wrongly too), that praying for an end to corruption will result into less corruption; Believing (wrongly again) that corruption will end simply because a new leader is in power.

My friends, the trajectory of corruption can and I'll argue must be stopped not by mere opposition in political words, religious prayers or individual disdain or hatred toward corrupt officials but by a direct intervention by the people that will force that trajectory to change course. An intervention that will bring the movement of corruption to that proverbial "screeching halt".

That intervention will have to be spearheaded by one person and one person only through the power that the people have given him legally or are willing to extend to him legally. Without that power or outside that power that person can and must not act.

The fight against corruption must always be legal, moral, just and transparent. It must involve bold, decisive and swift actions. No half measures at all. You clinch your fist, then fight. Otherwise, stand down and beg for mercy!

Simply put in JF language, the fight must be of "kumkoma nyangi giladi" type mchana kweupe. Otherwise, if I may caution you, we will continue to camp in this stinky valley of corruption where the corrupt rule, by the rule of the corruption, and hence corruption is the rule. The results, a corrupt culture, with corrupt people who hate corruption but can't help themselves but corrupt others who are already corrupt!

Well.. I think..

Ndugu Mwanakijiji

Thank you for remanding us that we have to fight hard to end corruption in our beloved country. You have pointed out that the fight must be spearheaded by a single individual (not a group of individuals?), who must act within the given powers. My simple thinking is that you are referring to the President (I stand to be corrected); whom the people have given a lot of power under our constitution. One thing remains that I would hope you will have time to elude too, and that is the question of HOW? You have answered WHAT has to be done (direct intervention), you have also provided us with WHO should do it (all; spearheaded by a single person), and lastly you gave us the Manner in which it should be done ("kumkoma nyangi giladi"). But I am afraid you have left me behind on the “direct intervention”. What actually does this mean? Without understanding what you mean by this “direct intervention” then the question of HOW it should be done remains at large. HOW would this leader behind whom we have to fight intervene? I hope you will have time to elaborate more on this subject.

By. M. M. Mwanakijiji

The fight against corruption must always be legal, moral, just and transparent. It must involve bold, decisive and swift actions. No half measures at all. You clinch your fist, then fight. Otherwise, stand down and beg for mercy!

M.M.Mwanakijiji, Unasema the fight should be legal, Serikali yetu jinsi ilivyo ya KIFISADI unadhani mkondo wa sheria unaweza kwenda kama unavyotakiwa? Ukiangalia kesi nyingi sana zinazohusu rushwa ni zile za mtu katoa rushwa ya Elfu 30 au laki mbili tatu nk. wakati kuna vigogo ndani ya serikali wapewa rushwa za milions of TZS na inajulikana lakini huwasikii hata siku moja Mahakamani.

Mimi nadhani we should strike to fight against corruption.

Mzeeba and the Farmer...

HOW would this leader behind whom we have to fight intervene? I hope you will have time to elaborate more on this subject.

There are several ways of such a leader to intervene. I'll expound on that in the next PD. It is something that the current leader failed to do the first 100 days. As a matter of fact he should have done it the first 7 days. He tolerated and rewarded incompetence and hence we are here.

Unasema the fight should be legal, Serikali yetu jinsi ilivyo ya KIFISADI unadhani mkondo wa sheria unaweza kwenda kama unavyotakiwa? Ukiangalia kesi nyingi sana zinazohusu rushwa ni zile za mtu katoa rushwa ya Elfu 30 au laki mbili tatu nk.

rushwa ndogondogo ambazo ndizo zimejazana kwenye mahakama zetu na ambazo ndiyo kero kubwa sana zinaweza kufutwa kabisa in one year! Inahitaji sheria moja tu kupitishwa na kuanza kutekelezwa mwaka ujao na baada ya mwaka mmoja hivi virushwa vidogo vidogo vitakuwa "ni things of the past". Nilishatoa pendekezo la jinsi ya kufanya hivyo 2 years ago!

Lakini kwenye hili la sasa, njia ya intervention ya halaiki ya watu pia ni muhimu. Wakati mwingine in order for that 'one person' to act it requires the mass to act! So far the mass aren't acting because they have not felt the pinch of corruption. To some corruption especially grand corruption is purely intellectual and personal. It doesn't make them feel its negative impact.

If someone steel 100 Millions Tsh and build a residential building where he rents an apartment for 3000 USD a month and some affluent Tanzanian decide to rent from him, does that person (the tenant) feel that the building was built from corrupt finances? What if the building has all the modern amenities and absolutely limekaa 'kizunguzungu' like "Changanyikeni" complexes je, mtu anaweza kuhusisha "uzuri" wa majengo hayo na the comfort they provide to its tenant to corruption? Of course not!

So, until the people feel that corruption affects their lives, they won't march against corruption to force that one individual to do what is necessary to curb corruption.

Back
Top Bottom