Pastor arrested after linking Mkulo to DECI saga

The Farmer

JF-Expert Member
Jan 7, 2009
Pastor arrested after linking Mkulo to DECI saga

2009-04-21 12:42:12
By Rosemary Mirondo and Correspondent Njonanje Samuel

A Pastor with the Pentecostal Church in Dar es Salaam, Issack Kalenge, has been arrested allegedly for linking Finance and Economic Affairs minister Mustafa Mkulo with the controversial Development Entrepreneurship Community Initiative (DECI).

Pastor Kalenge was arrested yesterday at the DECI headquarters at Mabibo in the city when speaking to members who had gone to the office to know the fate of their money.

Using a loud speaker, Kalenge is alleged to have told DECI members that Mkulo had blessed DECI operations when he recently opened its branch in Kilosa District, Morogoro Region.

He claimed that Mkulo should resign because he was among the people who blessed DECI activities by opening the branch in Kilosa.

Police arrested him as he was making the allegations linking Mkulo with DECI.

Before police got hold of him, Kalenge had told the members that they would demonstrate to Jangwani grounds on Saturday to protest against the government`s move to freeze DECI accounts.

When Mkulo was reached by this paper to comment on the allegations, he said the claims were baseless, adding that he had never opened a DECI branch in Kilosa.

``I have never been involved in matters concerning DECI because doing so is tantamount to going against the ethics of ministerial posts,`` he said.

He said: ``I am a minister and therefore I can not involve myself with conmen…As I have said the government is investigating on the matter.``

After Pastor Kalenge was taken by police, some DECI members marched to Urafiki Police Station to bail him out only to be told that he had been taken there.

In anger the DECI members turned to journalists who were at the police station and threatened to deal with them for putting them into problems.

The government said last week that it had seized all the money in the accounts owned by DECI until further notice.

Mkulo said the decision to seize the accounts was reached to allay persistent fears among DECI members ``who have sown their money in a pyramid scheme which the government has declared illegal``.

Meanwhile Dar es Salaam Special Zone Police Commander Suleiman Kova has warned DECI members against holding any demonstration or gathering at any of the organisation`s offices.

Speaking to journalists in the city yesterday, Kova said the issue was now being dealt with by higher authorities and that police would always be ready to ensure peace and tranquility prevail``.

He said: ``Although my office is not directly responsible with the DECI issue, police as overall in-charge of people`s security and their property will ensure peace prevails as higher authorities work on the matter``.

He called for DECI members to be calm while the government works on the matter.

Meanwhile, Chairman of the Democratic Party, Rev. Christopher Mtikila, said he would contact his lawyer for guidance on what action should be taken regarding DECI members` money.

SOURCE: Guardian

Back
Top Bottom