Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Pakistan suicide blast kills at least 65; dozens injured

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by MziziMkavu, Jul 9, 2010.

1. MziziMkavu

MziziMkavu JF-Expert Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Children, women and people collecting wheelchairs among the victims

Advertisement | ad info

[​IMG]
    Reuters A man searches for a family member among the corpses retrieved from the scene of a suicide bombing in Peshawar, Pakistan.PESHAWAR, Pakistan — A suicide bomber on a motorcycle killed at least 65 people in an attack in a volatile region on the Afghan border Friday, officials said.
    The bomber blew himself up as hundreds of people were gathered around the office of a senior government official in Pakistan's northwestern Mohmand region, where security forces have stepped up attacks on Taliban militants in recent weeks.
    The attacker apparently targeted tribal elders who had come to the office of Rasool Khan, assistant political agent of Mohmand, for a meeting.
    "Now the death toll is 65. Around 112 people have been wounded," Khan told Reuters.
    Some 70 to 80 shops in the area were damaged or destroyed, Khan said. A prison building also was damaged, and some 28 prisoners — ordinary criminals, not militants — had apparently escaped, he said.
    Nearby, officials were distributing wheelchairs to disabled people and equipment to poor farmers, said Mohmand's chief administrator, Amjad Ali Khan.
    Residents said five children, aged between 5 and 10, and several women were among dead.

'People running in all directions'
    "I was standing about 200 yards away from the office when I heard the blast," witness Riaz Hussain told Reuters. "I could see several bodies lying on the ground after the explosion and people running in all directions."
    Television footage showed victims being pulled from the debris.
    Abdul Wadood, 19, was sitting in a vehicle nearby when the attack happened.

"I only heard the deafening blast and lost consciousness," he said while being treated for head and arm wounds in Peshawar. "I found myself on a hospital bed after opening my eyes. I think those who planned or carried out this attack are not humans."
    Slideshow: Pakistan: A nation in turmoil (on this page) Pakistan launched two major offensives in the northwest last year against homegrown Taliban militants who have killed hundreds of people in retaliatory attacks across Pakistan, mostly in the northwest, but also in major cities.
    [​IMG]

Two suicide bombers killed at least 42 people in an attack on Pakistan's most important Sufi shrine in the eastern city of Lahore last week .
    The Pakistani Taliban, allies of the Afghan Taliban, have lost ground in army offensives over the past year.
    They were pushed out of the Swat valley, northwest of Islamabad, and in October the army began an offensive in the militants' South Waziristan bastion on the Afghan border.
    The offensive was extended to Orakzai in March as many of the militants who fled the South Waziristan operation took refuge there and in Mohmand. Hundreds of militants have since been killed in air strikes in the two regions.
    Jet fighters killed about a dozen militants in attacks in Orakzai on Friday, security officials said. There was no independent verification of the casualties as militants often dispute and reject official figures.
    In South Waziristan, suspected militants kidnapped two engineers working on a water project in the region, officials said.
    The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.

• [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Related video Scores injured, killed in Pakistan twin blasts
      Tractors move rubble from the site of a suicide bomb blast in Pakistan's Mohmand region on Friday, July 9. A bomber on a motorbike killed at least five dozen people and injured dozens more. The attack apparently targeted a meeting of Pashtun tribal elders at a government office, but victims included people on hand for distribution of wheelchairs for the disabled. (K. Parvez / Reuters) Share Back to slideshow navigation
    • [​IMG]

An inured boy is moved to a stretcher by hospital staff and rescue workers after being brought to Lady Reading Hospital in Peshawar. (Fayaz Aziz / Reuters) Share Back to slideshow navigation
    • [​IMG]

Men search for survivors under a collapsed roof at the site of the blast in northwestern Pakistan. (Reuters) Share Back to slideshow navigation
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]

Pakistani security officials examine the site of suicide bomb attacks at the Saint Syed Ali bin Osman Al-Hajvery shrine, popularly known as Data Ganj Bakhsh in Lahore on July 2. At least 41 people were killed in three suicide attacks at the tomb of an Islamic saint in the eastern Pakistani city of Lahore, police said. (Arif Ali / AFP - Getty Images) Share Back to slideshow navigation

Pakistan suicide blast kills at least 65 - World news - South and Central Asia - Pakistan - msnbc.com

2. Kiby

Kiby JF-Expert Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Brain washed in action!