Elections 2010 Our Editorials Lately.

TandaleOne

JF-Expert Member
Sep 4, 2010
In the same way that a baby is branded an angel, and goes unpunished for mistakes the creature makes, due to newness in the world into which he or she has been thrust, crazy behaviour and amateurism that attended the multi-party political system upon its introduction in Tanzania in 1992 was understandable.
Here we were: A country whose people had been governed under a single party system (save for a brief period after independence in 1961) for 30 years, embracing multi-partyism - literally a political baby.
It was inevitable, then, that the disbelief, excitement, suspicions, doubts, expectations, and such-like, was bound to produce nasty tendencies and trends like character assassination, mudslinging, verbal ping-pong – in short, dirty politicking. For in babyish innocence, some people misinterpreted multi-partyism to imply the automatic replacement of the ruling Chama Cha Mapinduzi (CCM) party by an opposition party.
But more specifically, supporters of a given party perceived that political outfit as having the God-ordained right to win polls and rule.
Many people simplified the new system as a game of words, whereby whoever shouted loudest, manufactured the most sensational lies, and was a champion at insulting senior leaders was the most suitable replacement of the current government.

New entrants into politics, as well seasoned politicians who had grown disillusioned with CCM, undermined the intelligence of their compatriots through a ‘Land-of-Milk-and-Honey' Tanzanian paradise they would create if they were voted into power.
In the same way that a baby progressively outgrows babyhood, the process of political growth should have started in earnest after the first multi-party polls in 1995. Sadly, the process remains elusive todate – three elections later, and the forth one on the horizon. The latest personification of this was the ugly show staged in Dar es Salaam last week, during the launch of the presidential campaign by the Chadema party.
And, shockingly, the show featured two personalities – Tundu Lissu and Mabere Marando – who, as seasoned and distinguished lawyers, are supposed to be beacons for Tanzanians who haven't been privileged with high-level education. Lissu slandered Prime Minister Mizengo Pinda by deliberately distorting his first name, to imply that he is a craftsman at intrigues; and Marando dwelt on the EPA scam, which is currently being handled by the court, and is thus sub-judice. We at The Guardian on Sunday unequivocally deplore that approach because on top of manifesting cowardice and assailing African culture, it turns the concept of political campaigning upside-down.

Chadema isn't alone, and at issue is not just mouthing insults. Even for campaigners whose language is polished, the electorate is underfed on visions, policies, projections, master-plans and strategies.
For their pledges are of the ‘too-good-to-be-true' variety, such as boosting the economy by 22 percent, nearly trebling workers' salaries, and making education free up to university level.
CCM, partly on account of the advantage of experience and incumbency, has a long-term vision, around which its manifesto mainly springs, and the two of which its campaigners drum up at rallies and other fora. There are some overzealous candidates in the party's ranks who make wild promises, but, by and large, the ruling party confines itself to what is possible and realistic.

Other parties, and more-so because they seek to dislodge CCM, should emulate the latter on approach, by crafting realistic long-term visions and manifestoes and advertising them to the electorate maturely, rather than overzealously, which puts off voters who feel their intelligence is being undermined. And all players should avoid vulgar language.

SOURCE: GUARDIAN ON SUNDAY,5th September 2010

Reading at this editorial one wonders what really has happened to this, once well respected paper in our country. Embassies ordered copies to save their precious time from being briefed by Public relations officers who had to paraphrase what the swahili papers were saying about issues in the country.

Somthing terrible and serious has happened to this time - the paper that I once briefly worked for but left for reasons purely not professional. I kept reading it and grew to admire it even though I was concerned at its readability among the Tanzanian elites. I bet now that, this may be one of the reasons for this low quality of editorial.

Let alone screwing the events leading to the formation of the multipartism, the esteemed editor is not concerned by the growing uneven play ground for both opposition parties and non-government press that have either to join the ruling party out of their will or fight the unbeatable.

It saddenes me to see the once repputable IPP media house has reduced itself to the Sinza trype of Media house that they once fought and had good reasons to fight.

It does not suprise me that, both clerics and journalists are the leading gfroups in every ICTR tribunals all over the world. I am more convinced that capital punishment is a right punishment to traitors of people's revolution and treasoners.

Reading at this editorial one wonders what really has happened to this, once well respected paper in our country. Embassies ordered copies to save their precious time from being briefed by Public relations officers who had to paraphrase what the swahili papers were saying about issues in the country.

Somthing terrible and serious has happened to this time - the paper that I once briefly worked for but left for reasons purely not professional. I kept reading it and grew to admire it even though I was concerned at its readability among the Tanzanian elites. I bet now that, this may be one of the reasons for this low quality of editorial.

Let alone screwing the events leading to the formation of the multipartism, the esteemed editor is not concerned by the growing uneven play ground for both opposition parties and non-government press that have either to join the ruling party out of their will or fight the unbeatable.

It saddenes me to see the once repputable IPP media house has reduced itself to the Sinza trype of Media house that they once fought and had good reasons to fight.

It does not suprise me that, both clerics and journalists are the leading gfroups in every ICTR tribunals all over the world. I am more convinced that capital punishment is a right punishment to traitors of people's revolution and treasoners.

Africa's in a sort of intellectual failure??

I
Other parties, and more-so because they seek to dislodge CCM, should emulate the latter on approach, by crafting realistic long-term visions and manifestoes and advertising them to the electorate maturely, rather than overzealously, which puts off voters who feel their intelligence is being undermined. And all players should avoid vulgar language.

SOURCE: GUARDIAN ON SUNDAY,5th September 2010

This writer should tell us who it is exactly who uses vulgar language. Absolute lies I tell you. The story is just poor. This guy should be ashamed to call himself a reporter... SHAME!

This writer should tell us who it is exactly who uses vulgar language. Absolute lies I tell you. The story is just poor. This guy should be ashamed to call himself a reporter... SHAME!

I heard waandishi wote wamenunuliwa.Hata JF users pia.

Back
Top Bottom