LUANDA - The deadly attack on the Togo team bus could have been avoided, the Africa Cup of Nations local organising committee (COCAN) insisted on Wednesday. Togos assistant coach and its squad spokesman were killed when the teams convoy was ambushed by separatist guerillas in the Angolan enclave of Cabinda after it had crossed the Congo border on January 8. But COCAN said the attack need not have happened if Togo had communicated their travel plans to the event organisers beforehand. COCAN director general Justino Fernandes told a press conference in Luanda they did not have any idea the Togo team were travelling by road rather than flying into the northern oil-rich province. He said Togo had ignored advice from the continents ruling soccer body, the Confederation of African Football, to fly into Cabinda. Togo had used the Congo for their training base and then travelled to Cabinda by bus. Neither CAF nor the local organising committee here in Luanda were aware of their travel plans, Fernandes said. Fernandes, who is also president of the Angolan Football Federation, added that COCAN had been surprised at Togos decision to enter Angola by road. If we had been told we would have certainly put an aeroplane at the disposal of the Togo team to fly them from the Congo to Cabinda. Despite his assertion Fernandes would not be drawn when asked at the press conference why, if they were unaware, there was heavy security accompanying the Togo teams convoy into Angola. Angolan security forces were engaged in a 20-minute gun battle with the separatists in the incident which cast a deep shadow over the 2010 competition. Togo, on the advice of their national government, withdrew from the competition.