Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Opposition MPs sign up to impeach President Museveni

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by ByaseL, Mar 15, 2012.

1. B

ByaseL JF-Expert Member

Mar 15, 2012
    Seven opposition MPs are spearheading a move to remove President Museveni from office.
    The legislators who launched the impeachment process this morning, after signing a petition, are soliciting for signatures from their colleagues .They accuse the President of abuse of office and committing economic crimes in contravention of the Constitution.
    MPs Odonga Otto (Aruu County, FDC), Ken Lukyamuzi (Lubaga South, CP), Wafula Oguttu (Bukholi, FDC), Ssemuju Nganda Ibrahim (Kyaddondo East, FDC), Gonzaga Sewungu (Kalungu West), Deo Kiyingi (Bukomansimbi) and Bernard Atiku signed the petition and are lobbying other MPs to sign as well.
    MPs Otto and Lukyamuzi in January hatched the idea of impeaching the President, alleging that he diverted £30 million (over Shs100 billion) from a £70 million (about Shs259.6b) British government grant intended for recovery programmes in post-war northern Uganda in 2008 to the purchase of his presidential jet without parliamentary approval.
    The lawmakers also want President Museveni to take responsibility for the withdrawal of $735 million (Shs1.7 trillion) from Bank of Uganda to buy fighter jets and other military hardware without prior parliamentary approval.
    “We the undersigned MPs do hereby append our signatures fully persuaded that Yoweri Kaguta Museveni the President of the republic of Uganda be removed from office on grounds that he has abused his office and willfully violated the oarth of allegiance and the presidential oath and other provisions of the Constitution,” Otto announced shortly before the legislators appended their signatures

2. pmwasyoke

pmwasyoke JF-Expert Member

Mar 15, 2012
    I won't say a thing about the cited allegations, but if I were one of the MPs in Uganda I would still want to impeach him for forcefully clinging to the presidency. The same as I would like to impeach the ruling party and its leaders here.