Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Open Letter to Wabunge –Buying Public Influence et al and impact of ‘special group’

Discussion in 'Jukwaa la Siasa' started by Shadow, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Shadow

Shadow JF-Expert Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Dear waheshimiwa,

I humbly greet you all,

Re: Open Letter to Wabunge –Buying Public Influence et al and impact of ‘special group’

I am writing this letter in regard to §11(1) and (2) of the Act of the Political Parties Act (1992) [R.E.2002] regarding funding of our political parties. We all know well that soon the Tanzania campaign trail will start as the clock towards 2010 election is ticking fast.
    I am honored to bring up this issue of funding of political campaigns. We, Tanzanians are worried by the hijack of the ‘special interest groups’ in the funding process of your political parties’ campaign. The issue at hand which is alarming wananchi is that we all know that in any democratic systems, politicians must find a way to finance political campaigns without encouraging the sale of the politicians to contributors [Ackerman 2007].

When you look at the Tanzania laws governing political parties, they are silent or with a wide open room for uncontrolled political contributions which may be a danger to our sovereignty as a country. According to our constitution’s preamble, the people are the sovereign and you are the servants of wananchi.

We have seen and hear all sorts of scandals which led to the resignation of Ndugu Lowasa, the then prime minister of Tanzania because of dealing with ‘special interests’. It is a rule of the game that involves quid pro quo status (literally a win, win situation) between the ‘special interest group’ and you politicians. These ‘special group’ gives funds to you folks, as elected officials expect help in the legislative process. You may refer to the influence of the Richmond and its offspring ‘Dowans’. The ‘special interest group’ expects special treatment on individual problems in dealing with the bureaucracy or in seeking contracts and concessions. Their activities conflict wit the public interests and therefore undermine the values of democracy.

Some political parties have lost their direction because of the influence of the influence ‘special interest group’. Having said this, you find out that the Articles of their constitution describe and advocate for certain values while some of you as politicians preach a different tone especially in favor of ‘special interest group’.

You as elected legislators need to be held publicly accountable. How are we going to do that? We, as wananchi need you as our servants not as waheshimiwa, to introduce the new law governing disclosure of finances of political campaign activities in Tanzania. The law has to require that the funds be publicly declared so has to control corruption. To mention a few, the proposed law should also set a limit for an individual contribution not to exceed a certain amount.

I hope you will consider this proposal honorably and I know some of you have started cursing this proposal but on the same token, it is for the good of the country and not your personal gain.

I respectively thank you for your time,

God Bless Tanzania, thank you!

2. A

Asha Abdala JF-Expert Member

Mar 16, 2009

Umezua mema lakini kwa msingi uliopitwa na wakati. Tayari sheria ya vyama vya siasa imefanyiwa marekebesho mwaka 2008. Hebu tupewe sheria mpya tuone kama imetimiza uliyoyataka. Bado kabisaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Labda tusubiri marekebisho ya sheria ya uchaguzi kama yatakidhi haja. Muungwana ni vitendo, naona Kikwete katika marekebisho haya ameshindwa kabisa kutimiza ahadi yake aliyotoa bungeni mwaka 2006. Bado ameacha fursa kwa CCM kupata fedha chafu za kuendesha chama chao na hata za kununua kura kwenye uchaguzi. Kikwete mtu wa maneno matupu, ataweka saini yake karibuni hiyo sheria mpya mbovu mbovu ianze kutumika.

3. Shadow

Shadow JF-Expert Member

Mar 16, 2009

Dada Asha heshima yako dada yangu,

Well said. Unaweza kuwa na hiyo nakala ya mabadiliko ya hiyo sheria? Pili ninachojaribu kuwakilisha ni kwamba hatuitaji kuwekewa viraka kwenye hiyo sheria ya vyama bali tunahitaji sheria maalumu kuhusu kusimamia finance za hawa wagombeaji wa public offices.