BAK

JF-Expert Member
Feb 11, 2007
Ole Sendeka: No retreat in anti-graft campaign​

By Rodgers Luhwago

9th August 2009

Ole%20Sendeka.jpg

Simanjiro CCM legislator Christopher ole Sendeka

Simanjiro CCM legislator Christopher ole Sendeka has called on anti-corruption crusaders not to succumb to threats issued by individuals condoning the vice in Tanzania..
Ole Sendeka, who is among the anti-corruption crusaders in the country, told The Guardian on Sunday recently that efforts of anti- graft crusaders to combat corruption should not be deterred by threats from corrupt individuals.
The MP's remarks appear to encourage fellow legislators, including the National Assembly Speaker Samuel Sitta, who are reportedly being threatened for their firm stand against corruption in the country.
The speaker complained in the House towards the end of the just ended session of parliament that some individuals were waging malicious and slanderous verbal attacks against him only because of his firm stand against corruption.
"We as anti-corruption crusaders should never be threatened by corrupt individuals and I told the Speaker Sitta the same words last week in Dodoma. As long as we are for the welfare of the downtrodden, we shall never surrender and will always enjoy the speaker's support," Ole Sendeka said.

The MP said the Parliament should never be turned into an instrument of supporting corrupt practices, including protecting corrupt individuals since they would be judged by history.

He added that there were individuals in the country, if left alone at Kariakoo, would not survive because of the evil they have committed against the public. "Once you leave them there for such a short moment you will find them without cloths when you get back." The MP said it should not reach a point where MPs must ride in cars with tinted glasses for fear of being either laughed or booed at by the public.

"We, as MPs, must walk tall whenever we pass in various places," he said.
On Thursday last week the Speaker asked the government to step up his security detail owing to increasing threat messages being sent to him via his mobile phones and posted in websites. He also complained of malicious attacks by various local newspapers on unfounded claims.

"There are individuals who want this House to be compassionate to people who do not discharge their responsibilities in accordance with the required principles of good governance. As far as I am concerned, I am not in that category because I always stand for the truth," Sitta was quoted as saying .

Speaker Sitta said he knew by names individuals who waged verbal attacks via various channels, saying time would come when they would be subjected to shame.

SOURCE: GUARDIAN ON SUNDAY

Last edited: