OLD SCHOOL ESCAPADES: Senior one in Senior six

ByaseL

JF-Expert Member
Nov 22, 2007
KING’S COLLEGE BUDO- The day was February 22, 2002. My friends and I were clad in little shorts and tight shirts, running all over the school, reliving our first day in Senior One, six years before.
King’s College Budo has a tradition where S.4 and S.6 students celebrate their S.1 day; when they first stepped onto the school campus. For me, that was February 22 of 2000 and 2002 respectively. The most memorable however, was the one of S.6. The fun started the night before when my friend, Ramadhan, and I decided to remind everyone about this day. We were the most excited as everyone else seemed not bothered about it.

So we went to the Junior wing of our Mutesa House, borrowed shirts, shorts and socks – even shoes – from the S.1’s. We put them on and visited each S.6’s room that night. Soon, everyone was rushing to borrow attire from the S.1 students. So the day began with all of us looking as ridiculous as you can imagine, in small shorts and tight shirts.

Part of the tradition is to make a late appearance at breakfast time as the whole school is seated in the mess. “Ding! Ding!” the mess poles sounded, to demand attention from the breakfast assembly. The chairman of S.6 government stood in front and announced:

“Today, ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the Senior One class of 1997.”
We entered the mess to the wild cheers of the whole school. I don’t blame them. We looked funny. Think of the most senior figures in school, the head prefect, all prefects, chairmen of various clubs and the bullies, all in tight shorts.

I don’t think I’ve laughed more than I did on that day. The idea is to act as we did in our S.1. We feigned confusion, and were eager for everything. We ran around the campus all day, collected tea for everyone, accepted to be sent to the canteen, fought at the canteen… We fought for food too in the mess. We were teased and bullied by everyone else. All this of course happened in jest.

The most memorable part about this day was after lunch when we gathered in the quad next to the chapel and took our S.1 class photos; S.1 A, S.1 B, S.1 C, just as we had six years before.
These pictures can be found well archived on Facebook now, and I just can’t get enough of them. It was surely the best day of my entire stay in secondary school.

The writer is an OB
of King’s College Budo

Back
Top Bottom