Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Obama's Health Care Reform Plan Passes Vote

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Ab-Titchaz, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Ab-Titchaz

Ab-Titchaz Content Manager Staff Member

Oct 13, 2009
    Senate Finance Committee Votes 19 - 4 In Favor

[​IMG]

Republican Sen. Olympia Snowe announces her support for a health care bill Tuesday
    WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Health care reform advocates got a major boost Tuesday as Maine Sen. Olympia Snowe, a key GOP moderate, announced she will vote for the Senate Finance Committee's $829 billion health care bill.

Snowe, one of the senators in the bipartisan "Gang of Six" that initially negotiated the committee's bill, has been considered one of the few GOP senators likely to support a bill emerging from the Democratic-controlled Congress.

The Finance Committee's upcoming vote -- expected Tuesday -- represents a pivotal step forward in the contentious health care debate. The committee, with 13 Democrats and 10 Republicans, is the last of five congressional panels to consider health care legislation before debate begins in the full House and Senate.

"People do have concerns about what we will do with reform, but at the same time they want us to continue working -- and that is what my vote to approve this bill out of committee represents," Snowe said during the committee's final deliberations on the measure.

"Is this bill all that I would want? Far from it. Is it all that it can be? No. But when history calls, history calls. And I happen to think that the consequences of inaction dictate the urgency of Congress (taking) every opportunity to demonstrate its capacity to solve the monumental issues of our time."

Once the Finance Committee clears the bill, the focus will quickly shift to the closed doors of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid's office.
    The Nevada Democrat must merge the conservative-leaning Finance Committee legislation with a more liberally drawn bill approved by the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions.

The primary difference between the Finance Committee bill and the health committee legislation involves a government-run insurance company -- the public option.

The health committee bill provides for a robust public option designed to compete head-on with insurance companies and force them to rein in costs.

The Finance Committee ditched the public option in favor of nongovernment-run health care co-ops, a nod to conservative Democrats and Republicans who fear a government takeover of the health care system.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/10/13/senate.health.care/index.html

2. MaxShimba

MaxShimba JF-Expert Member

Oct 13, 2009
    It is looking good, Mkuu

3. Ab-Titchaz

Ab-Titchaz Content Manager Staff Member

Oct 14, 2009
    I keep my fingers crossed to the end. Obama anapigwa vita on this
    issue yet the man's intentions are noble. Interest groups dont want
    their pie to be cut into!

4. H

Hofstede JF-Expert Member

Oct 14, 2009
    The issue here are clearl that passing this reform will give Obama a big boost on domestic policies, they want him to fail, they want him to be seen as empty suit why?, because it will give those with racial minded about a black president success with no option of criticising and painting him as rhetorical only but no accomplishements. Futa lililowashinda white presidents, black president ni lazima afanywe asiliweze

5. Nyani Ngabu

Nyani Ngabu Platinum Member

Oct 14, 2009
    Why do you have to inject race in everything? Stop that victim mentality dude. President Clinton failed on the same issue and no one cried racism. Stop being cry babies. Obama is fair game to be opposed and criticised. By crying racism in everything done or said against Obama you are not helping anything. Matter of fact it is a cop-out....

Critisicm and opposition come with the territory. Presidents are going to be opposed and criticised. Get over that racism BS. If racism was as bad as you would want people to believe then Obama wouldn't president right about now.

6. Susuviri

Susuviri JF-Expert Member

Oct 14, 2009
    Duh mkuu, sikutarajia kuja kukubaliana na wewe on an issue about American politics especially Obama, lakini I have to agree with you. Obama mwenyewe hawezi kukubali kutumia racism kama sababu hapa, maana wapo weusi ambao wana oppose this reform so it is more a social class difference than racial
    Also I agree that a president should be criticized and opposed, in fact it only makes his presidency stronger! And I hope Obama hatabweteka na support kubwa maana atajisahau!

7. Nyani Ngabu

Oct 14, 2009
    Kumbuka mimi ni Clintonite...so hatuko mbali sana ki itikadi...

8. Susuviri

Susuviri JF-Expert Member

Oct 14, 2009
    Ah, afadhali umeanza kurudi sasa maana ulipothrow your support behind Palin nilianza kuwa na wasiwasi....
    Ila Clinton umemwona (Hillary) anajitahidi sana huko Europe naona kaisimamia Turkey Armenia talks na hata Ireland kapata points! Mama anajua kuchapa kazi, ila ndo hivyo.... na amesema hagombei tena.....
    Ila hii healthcare reform ni muhimu sana, mkuu, I hope they can pass it through!

9. Nyani Ngabu

Oct 14, 2009
    I'm a ride or die Clinton fan and I'm loyal to a fault!

I just didn't like the way they were treated during the primaries.

10. MaxShimba

MaxShimba JF-Expert Member

Oct 14, 2009