My welcome home; why did I ever come back again?

Oct 27, 2008
yale yaleeee!
-----
VijanaFM Blog

I’m always excited to come back home, Tanzania. And this time around, I was especially excited because I was moving back home. After eight years of living abroad, with two degrees and three years of work experience, I felt it was time to go home and contribute to the development of my country. So, I did just that. But like anyone moving back home, I had too much luggage to take with me on the flight, so I sent my additional 45kgs of personal goods (two suitcases filled with my used shoes, handbags, clothes and shoes, and my flat screen TV) via cargo. Big mistake.

First, I was informed that the airline misplaced my TV, and that I should wait for a few days to get it. Once they said it arrived, off I went to the Dar-es-salaam Cargo Airport and that’s when reality hit me. Our country, although I love it with all my heart, has a long way to go. And I don’t know if we will get there in my lifetime. I spent 12 hours at that airport trying to get my stuff out. There is such a long process in getting things out. You’d think that the government would put into place an efficient structure for people like me, Tanzanians who are living abroad and are coming back home to serve their country, so that we would want to come back and not face such ridiculous processes.

How can it take a day and a half to get personal effect goods out? And why should I have to pay to bring my personal and used things into my own country? Things that are going to be in my room, not things to be sold. And why is the process of getting cargo goods out so complicated, not transparent and full of loopholes? As an individual, you need an ‘agent’ to get your stuff out, which means paying about $100 in agent fees alone. Not only that, but you are taken from window to window, from office to office, to pay this fee, to sign this receipt, to photocopy this document and to write this letter, and throughout the way, of course, you are reminded of the different shortcuts you could take by simply bribing someone to make the process go by faster.

Secondly, my TV was still reported missing and after making noise in every office I visited, and with the help of the airline, they took me through their large storage room where all cargo is kept. I’m taking about all kinds of large and small boxes, some tagged, others not. I went through each and every box until I found my own box, which was tucked away somewhere because someone didn’t pay close attention and put it in the wrong section. Really? Should these mistakes still be happening in our time when we should be able to track everything? Why on earth would I ever want to send anything via cargo now, especially after this incident of a reported lost TV, when actually it was right here, but someone along the lines just shoved it in some corner without paying any attention? What’s worse is that there was no apology from the handling company. Nothing. What’s worse, after paying about $500 to fly my things to Tanzania, I was frustrated to have to pay about $250 to get my things out. I was charged all kinds of fees, from handling, storage, documentation and taxes to agent fees, inspection and other additional fees that I don’t understand myself.

I love my country unconditionally, through its good moments and bad moments, through bad roads, water shortages and random power cuts. After all, home is home. But there are some things that are simply unnecessary, there are some things that should not be condoned, things that could be better organized. But as Tanzanians, we have this ‘pole pole’ mentality; we are passive in nature, we don’t like to express ourselves too much or sound too annoyed or frustrated. We can’t let this define us anymore, I am tired of keeping quiet and watching ridiculous mistakes get made. We need to be more vocal about issues and not say “this is your country, this is how things are done here.” That can no longer be an excuse. We need our country to be more efficient in all ways possible. And where there are loopholes and mistakes, those in authority need to stop, listen, reflect and take action – rather than just shoving aside the opinions of those who actually have a valid point!

For my Tanzanians living abroad, be warned. This is the reality back home. For a minute when I was at the airport this afternoon, I regretted coming back home to deal with this. But as I reflect, I realize my frustration comes from my lack of Tanzanian-style patience that is needed to survive here. So my question to you all is, how much more should we take and when do we say enough is enough and change is necessary? When will our government realize that they need to establish and implement proper policies that will attract people living abroad to come home to a welcoming environment? How can we get rid of this inefficiency that is slowly but surely defining us to this extent?

Change is needed. And if it doesn’t happen anytime soon, this country will lose many people, people who will never want to come back and settle here because they can’t stand the bureaucracy!

so I sent my additional 45kgs of personal goods (two suitcases filled with my used shoes, handbags, clothes and shoes, and my flat screen TV) via cargo

Mi narudi bongo, lakini apart from things of sentimental value hata zawadi mostly nitanunua huko huko.It doesn't make sense to haul a J.P Morgan carriage across the world wakati vitu unaweza kuvipata bongo au kufanya order kutoka bongo.

Kuna wajomba wajomba wanafungasha kama wanatoka "West Germany" 1981 ? I mean c'mon, I can excuse the shoes and clothes, but a Flat Screen TV ? Mjomba mjomba mtindiga wa wapi huyu?

First, I was informed that the airline misplaced my TV, and that I should wait for a few days to get it. Once they said it arrived, off I went to the Dar-es-salaam Cargo Airport and that’s when reality hit me. Our country, although I love it with all my heart, has a long way to go. And I don’t know if we will get there in my lifetime. I spent 12 hours at that airport trying to get my stuff out. There is such a long process in getting things out. You’d think that the government would put into place an efficient structure for people like me, Tanzanians who are living abroad and are coming back home to serve their country, so that we would want to come back and not face such ridiculous processes.

Mjomba mjomba bado anajionyesha alivyo limbukeni.Sikatai kwamba tunaweza kuwa na matatizo ya kuhandle mizigo, lakini aliposema "our country... has a long way to go" mimi nikafikiri tumefikia some new height, kwamba anataka kuniambia kitu kilicho uniquely Tanzanian.Kumbe kapoteza mzigo. While I can feel his/her pain in having to go through this long process, the picture painted, that we have a long way to go is not justified by the case presented.This scenario could have happenned anywhere, from LAX to JFK, Philly, Orly, De Gaulle, Heathrow Schiphol to Tambo.

While I totally understand zero tolerance dominate intelligence, and the need to uphold excellence, hii whining isiyo na understanding siielewi.Huku kutaka Tanzania kuwe ulaya kuliko ulaya kunanishangaza.

Secondly, my TV was still reported missing and after making noise in every office I visited, and with the help of the airline, they took me through their large storage room where all cargo is kept. I’m taking about all kinds of large and small boxes, some tagged, others not. I went through each and every box until I found my own box, which was tucked away somewhere because someone didn’t pay close attention and put it in the wrong section. Really? Should these mistakes still be happening in our time when we should be able to track everything? Why on earth would I ever want to send anything via cargo now, especially after this incident of a reported lost TV, when actually it was right here, but someone along the lines just shoved it in some corner without paying any attention? What’s worse is that there was no apology from the handling company. Nothing. What’s worse, after paying about $500 to fly my things to Tanzania, I was frustrated to have to pay about $250 to get my things out. I was charged all kinds of fees, from handling, storage, documentation and taxes to agent fees, inspection and other additional fees that I don’t understand myself.

Next time do yourself a favor, some minor research could prove very handy. Vitu vidogo vidogo kama TV unanunua bongo tu, ukitaka kuimport import mashine kubwa za chuma za kutengenezea mashine nyingine, hapo nitaona unaimport kitu.Mizigo mingine inasababisha ajali zisizo lazima kama hizi. Zaidi ya hapo angalia uwezekano wa kuwa sue, mpigie simu muwakilishi wako ulalamike, or better yet get involved in the civic grassroot organizations (kama zipo) kuanzisha consumer protection agencies. Ikibidi mpate block ya kui influence mpak muhakikishe mna viti bungeni.

I love my country unconditionally, through its good moments and bad moments, through bad roads, water shortages and random power cuts. After all, home is home. But there are some things that are simply unnecessary, there are some things that should not be condoned, things that could be better organized. But as Tanzanians, we have this ‘pole pole’ mentality; we are passive in nature, we don’t like to express ourselves too much or sound too annoyed or frustrated. We can’t let this define us anymore, I am tired of keeping quiet and watching ridiculous mistakes get made. We need to be more vocal about issues and not say “this is your country, this is how things are done here.” That can no longer be an excuse. We need our country to be more efficient in all ways possible. And where there are loopholes and mistakes, those in authority need to stop, listen, reflect and take action – rather than just shoving aside the opinions of those who actually have a valid point!

I am afraid you do not understand the mening of "unconditionally". Huwezi kuanza kwa kusema "I love my country unconditionally" halafu ukaweka "but...." utakuwa muongo.

As far as Tanzanians being passive you are the perfect example, other than bitching here what have you done?

For my Tanzanians living abroad, be warned. This is the reality back home. For a minute when I was at the airport this afternoon, I regretted coming back home to deal with this.

I thought you said with all magnanimity that you loved your country unconditionally? What happenned? You are not even out of the airport and you already regret coming back home? Ukifika Nangurukuru kusiko maji ya bomba tangu uhuru utasemaje?

But as I reflect, I realize my frustration comes from my lack of Tanzanian-style patience that is needed to survive here.

Eight years abroad ushasahau Tanzania tayari? Ukikaa miaka 16 si utasahau mpaka Kiswahili wakwetu ?
So my question to you all is, how much more should we take and when do we say enough is enough and change is necessary? When will our government realize that they need to establish and implement proper policies that will attract people living abroad to come home to a welcoming environment? How can we get rid of this inefficiency that is slowly but surely defining us to this extent?

Kukaa kote viwanja ulichojifunza ni outrage tu? Kulalama tu? Hujajifunza kwamba serikali haibadiliki na wala haina interest ya kubadilika mpaka ibadilishwe? The government doesn't need to establish and implement jack, they got it good.You are the one who need to make the government do these things, by organizing, by establishing civic groups and grassroot organizations such as consumer advocacy outfits. You get rid of this inefficiency by acting, not bitching. And judging by your words it seems you are doing more bitching than acting.

Don't get me wrong, bitching is good, it is what makes people know that this is a trend and not a simple incident, so as far as that it is concerned we need people like you.You are far better than the average respectful Tanzanian who considers bitching being unpatriotic and even ungrateful to the authorities, so I get your point.But bitching in itself accomplishes nothing other than documenting the problem and channelling the outrage, we need organizations and solutions, we need accountability, we need transparency and above all we need standards and their rigorous enforcements.

Change is needed. And if it doesn’t happen anytime soon, this country will lose many people, people who will never want to come back and settle here because they can’t stand the bureaucracy!

Keep saying change is needed, they will tell you they don't need change anymore, they need the real dollar bill (get it?).

They are not banking on you coming back home, as far as they are concerned you uppity westernized Tanzanians are a nuisance and don't know your places, so to them it is better if you stay abroad.First of all you will come back with your two degrees and threaten their jobs , so you are looking at things from the ivory tower perspective without acknowledging the bongo realpolitik.

Wake up and smell the roses, you are not in Kansas anymore.

Hivi bado kuna watu wanarudi nyumbani kutoka ughaibuni na vitu kama TV in this era??

Mkuu...i know how u feel 100%! Kuja likizo yenyewe na zawadi za watu unakaa ukipiga mahesabu njia nzima hawa jamaa wa customs utawapitaje!! Yani kuna ujinga mwingi! Ndo maana wengine tunaomba hii EAC ifungue mipaka tupate competition kidogo! Watu hawajui maana ya kazi kabisa! Its a shame! Kila mtu anataka kupata hela zaidi kwa njia za panya! Kama mshahara hautoshi, wacha kazi nenda kalime! Sio unakuja kunizungusha zungusha wee! Mie naudhika kweli! Alafu ukikaa unamwona Kikwete na Membe wakikenua na kuita watu nyumbani!Pumbafu kabisa!

Jamani hawana huruma hao, mwenyewe umejibebea hadi TV yako tena flat skrini ndo wakupotezee hapo JNIA!!!!!???

Pole!!!

Mi narudi bongo, lakini apart from things of sentimental value hata zawadi mostly nitanunua huko huko.It doesn't make sense to haul a J.P Morgan carriage across the world wakati vitu unaweza kuvipata bongo au kufanya order kutoka bongo.

Kuna wajomba wajomba wanafungasha kama wanatoka "West Germany" 1981 ? I mean c'mon, I can excuse the shoes and clothes, but a Flat Screen TV ? Mjomba mjomba mtindiga wa wapi huyu?

Mjomba mjomba bado anajionyesha alivyo limbukeni.Sikatai kwamba tunaweza kuwa na matatizo ya kuhandle mizigo, lakini aliposema "our country... has a long way to go" mimi nikafikiri tumefikia some new height, kwamba anataka kuniambia kitu kilicho uniquely Tanzanian.Kumbe kapoteza mzigo. While I can feel his/her pain in having to go through this long process, the picture painted, that we have a long way to go is not justified by the case presented.This scenario could have happenned anywhere, from LAX to JFK, Philly, Orly, De Gaulle, Heathrow Schiphol to Tambo.

While I totally understand zero tolerance dominate intelligence, and the need to uphold excellence, hii whining isiyo na understanding siielewi.Huku kutaka Tanzania kuwe ulaya kuliko ulaya kunanishangaza.

Next time do yourself a favor, some minor research could prove very handy. Vitu vidogo vidogo kama TV unanunua bongo tu, ukitaka kuimport import mashine kubwa za chuma za kutengenezea mashine nyingine, hapo nitaona unaimport kitu.Mizigo mingine inasababisha ajali zisizo lazima kama hizi. Zaidi ya hapo angalia uwezekano wa kuwa sue, mpigie simu muwakilishi wako ulalamike, or better yet get involved in the civic grassroot organizations (kama zipo) kuanzisha consumer protection agencies. Ikibidi mpate block ya kui influence mpak muhakikishe mna viti bungeni.

I am afraid you do not understand the mening of "unconditionally". Huwezi kuanza kwa kusema "I love my country unconditionally" halafu ukaweka "but...." utakuwa muongo.

As far as Tanzanians being passive you are the perfect example, other than bitching here what have you done?

I thought you said with all magnanimity that you loved your country unconditionally? What happenned? You are not even out of the airport and you already regret coming back home? Ukifika Nangurukuru kusiko maji ya bomba tangu uhuru utasemaje?

Eight years abroad ushasahau Tanzania tayari? Ukikaa miaka 16 si utasahau mpaka Kiswahili wakwetu ?

mkuu,jinsi ulivyomshukia huyu muungwana no comment.
lkn kuna ubaya gani kuja na tv yako uliyokuwa unatumia na ina hali nzuri,wakati mwingine ni nafuu kununua nje kuliko kuja na hela kununua tznia.
uwezo unatofautiana uwezo wake ndio huo kuimport tv na viatu hizo mashine ni mpaka uwe na uwezo huo.

hahaaa sasa napata picha wewe mmbeba mabox sijui utakuja na mangapi............

vitu vidogo havinisumbui,nimezaliwa tznia,nimeishi 75% ya maisha yangu tznia.......nimeshaizoe.hamna jipya kati ya yote aliyolalamika mwenzetu hapo.LAKINI YANAKERAAAAA.

mkuu,jinsi ulivyomshukia huyu muungwana no comment.
lkn kuna ubaya gani kuja na tv yako uliyokuwa unatumia na ina hali nzuri,wakati mwingine ni nafuu kununua nje kuliko kuja na hela kununua tznia.
uwezo unatofautiana uwezo wake ndio huo kuimport tv na viatu hizo mashine ni mpaka uwe na uwezo huo.

Ujue si kwamba tatizo silijui, ila jamaa hakufanya research, kaja ana bitch kwa airs za "mimi mzungu mweusi nimerudi Tanzania hata Kiswahili nimesahau", Tanzania has the most horrible cargo handling system in the world, halafu hana solution.

Ukiweka kwenye hesabu upuuzi huu, risk na incoveniences ni rahisi zaidi kununua bongo au kufanya order online kuliko kuja na mzigo.

Watu wanahama nyumba tu same country na kuona mi flatscreen TV mzigo, wanakususia mhamiaji unayekuja, sembuse kuipandisha midude kwenye ndege na kwenda ku deal na watindiga wa Customs bongo ? Hivi bongo hamna FlatScreen TVs ? Mbona watu walikuwa wanauza tangu 1990's ?

Generally I prefer to travel light and shop where I land, but that's just me, my needs are minuscule.

Kiranga basi imetosha dont harass him..nadhani amekuelewa...u know he was trying to express how disappointed he was..kwa tunaojua matatizo ya airport za Bongo huwezi risk kuhama na mizigo kama Tv etc...viatu tu waliniibia na begi nimefunga sembuse TV?airport wakiona box lolote halali yao....!pole mdau uliyeibiwa FULATI SIKIRINI......!

Kiranga basi imetosha dont harass him..nadhani amekuelewa...u know he was trying to express how disappointed he was..kwa tunaojua matatizo ya airport za Bongo huwezi risk kuhama na mizigo kama Tv etc...viatu tu waliniibia na begi nimefunga sembuse TV?airport wakiona box lolote halali yao....!pole mdau uliyeibiwa FULATI SIKIRINI......!

I think it's a misnomer to call these dilapidated buildings 'airports'. The cherry on top is the attitude of the people that work there. Sickening.

Ujue si kwamba tatizo silijui, ila jamaa hakufanya research, kaja ana bitch kwa airs za "mimi mzungu mweusi nimerudi Tanzania hata Kiswahili nimesahau", Tanzania has the most horrible cargo handling system in the world, halafu hana solution.

Ukiweka kwenye hesabu upuuzi huu, risk na incoveniences ni rahisi zaidi kununua bongo au kufanya order online kuliko kuja na mzigo.

Watu wanahama nyumba tu same country na kuona mi flatscreen TV mzigo, wanakususia mhamiaji unayekuja, sembuse kuipandisha midude kwenye ndege na kwenda ku deal na watindiga wa Customs bongo ? Hivi bongo hamna FlatScreen TVs ? Mbona watu walikuwa wanauza tangu 1990's ?

Generally I prefer to travel light and shop where I land, but that's just me, my needs are minuscule.

wewe shida yako ni yeye kuja na flat screen au nini? Tatizo umeishia kumu-attack mtu na kushindwa kuchangia hoja. Ishu inabaki pale pale...hapa tufanyaje kusaidia wanaoingiza mizigo!

Back
Top Bottom