My leader in suit and tie

Easymutant

R I P
Jun 3, 2010
I could be a lot of things. I could be a doctor, a janitor, a pianist, or a mechanic. But one thing I’m sure of is that I couldn’t be like that man: a man in an expensive suit and tie. After many years I have come to learn and understand the harsh reality that a man in a suit and tie and honesty don’t mix together at all.
He normally makes a lot of promises to people – good, unrealistic promises. People spend time waiting in line so they can vote for a man with a suit and tie. We put all of our eggs in one basket for this man. He stands in front of us, and he tells us what we want to hear. He tells us how he will change our lives; how he can provide a good future for us and our kids; and that life is impossible without him. He tells us that something important is broken and that he will fix that thing, even though he is part of the broken thing that he is talking about. He shows us good plans, and he tells us he has ideas. We are fascinated by his ideas, and we are clapping our hands for him. He finishes and enters his expensive car, and we go back home with hope and faith. Faith in a man in a suit and tie.
We talk about that man at our work places and homes. We see that man on television more than we see important world news. We hear how much money that man has raised, and how much more money is needed to help him. He shows up on television in another expensive suit and tie, and he tells us he needs money. He convinces us that we need to contribute to his effort, and he gets our support. We feel like we are part of him and like he is one of ours, no matter how small of a contribution we are making. We are poor people but we try, because we have hope and faith in this man. We say proudly at home and at work: this is the man…this man will change things.
A man in a suit and tie has no magic. A man in a suit and tie didn’t study more than most of us. He didn’t go to a special school. So why can he easily convince us like that? It’s simple – a man in a suit and tie has something that we don’t have: the power to persuade, the capacity to say beautiful words using realistic examples, and the art of lies. Combine these things with how poor and desperate we are, and then we can perhaps understand why he can easily convince us.
Suddenly the man in a suit and tie is where he wants to be. He is comfortable and enjoying himself. We see pictures of him and his family enjoying life in their big, safe house, where they have everything they could possibly need. Other people are opening doors for him when he comes out and goes to his car. The man in a suit and tie always try to smile; he smiles a lot. He tells us that we have done our part. He tells us that we have made the best decision ever, and that we will not regret it at all. We clap again for him, and we tell him we are behind him. But the most important thing is that we wait for him to do his part, because we have done our part, right? Now we are looking forward to seeing how he will play his part.
The man in a suit and tie comes out and tells us that he needs us and he can’t do it alone. We promise him that we will do everything that we can to help him. After all, we are poor, we want a good future, and we want to change our lives…so why can’t we help him? We are committing ourselves to the man in a suit and tie. We are still clapping for him whenever he talks. We see him as our savior, our leader. After all, he promised that he can fix everything, so why can’t we believe?
Time has passed and nothing has changed. The man in a suit and tie comes out and tells us more good things. He tells us that he understands our situation, that he knows we are suffering, and that he is suffering with us. We are starting to get disappointed, so we are starting to question the man in a suit and tie. He tells us how impatient we are…that it takes time to build things and make changes. And he tells us new things that he didn’t tell us before. We see that he is normally with other men in suits and ties, and they are always in meetings, always arguing, and they say they are all working for us, finding better solutions to our problems. While we are struggling to buy food, pay for medical care, pay rent, and eat well, the man in a suit and tie and his colleagues have everything: good health, special doctors, nice homes, proper food, and high security. They meet to argue. They get paid to argue and argue, and when they are tired of the arguments and efforts to show us who is right and wrong – who is better than the other – they sign whatever they are required to sign and then they go home. At home they tell their kids that they work hard for us, that their work is important to this society, and that they work tirelessly.
Yes, I could be a lot of things, but I couldn’t be a man in a suit and tie. I couldn’t tell my wife and kids that I’m home from a hard day’s work after arguing in the office the whole day. I couldn’t look them in the eyes and tell them that lie. I couldn’t focus on the lies and mistakes of others in order to get votes. I couldn’t live with myself after all those broken promises. I couldn’t be a man in a suit and tie…I couldn’t be a politician.

YES, A SMILING MAN, in a subsidized shopping expedition,

a MAN with five Saville Row suits!!!

Atleast those suits and ties not the ones bought by an Arab sheikhs who owns our Loliondo and serengeti parks.