Museveni wants his share of national cake

ByaseL

JF-Expert Member
Nov 22, 2007
The road from Lyantonde to Rwakitura, President Museveni’s country home in Kiruhura District has always been a political symbol of selflessness. A murram road, never mind a well-maintained one, to the President’s home told a dusty story of frugality and putting others first.

It is all about to change after President Museveni said yesterday that it is time for the government to tarmac the road and give him a share of the “national cake”.

“I have been working on different roads in the country,” President Museveni said, speaking during the Women’s Day national celebrations in Bushenyi District. “I am now tired of dust and will work on my own small road going home. I want also to share the national cake.”

President Museveni gave examples of roads that the government has worked on in the area, including roads from Mbarara to Kikagati, Katunguru, Ibanda and Isingiro and said it is time for charity to end at his country home.

The President said district authorities had acquired road construction equipment and should work on their roads, rather than rely on private contractors.
“Tendering of roads should stop with immediate effect,” he said. “They take a lot of money and they don’t do a good job.”

He said the government had erred in relying on donor support to build and repair roads but noted that expanding tax revenues had given the government more say in the matter.

“Over the years from 1986, the NRM granary has enlarged and now we can manage to work on these roads ourselves,” the President said.

0 Reactions
Back
Top Bottom