Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Museveni sacks Bukenya as VP

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by ByaseL, May 24, 2011.

1. B

ByaseL JF-Expert Member

May 24, 2011
    Kampala

President Museveni yesterday asked Vice President Gilbert Bukenya to resign from Cabinet, exactly eight years after he was first appointed to the job. Prof. Bukenya confirmed the development in a telephone interview with this newspaper last night. “This is a relief,” the out-going Vice President said. “Now I can live my private life and make decisions that I would want to make. I will continue openly to fight and remove poverty in the country.”

Confirmation today
    Prof. Bukenya’s resignation is expected to be confirmed today when President Museveni meets the NRM Parliamentary Caucus to discuss his new Cabinet. A renown academic and scholar, Prof. Bukenya had a meteoric rise to the top of the political tree but his stint as the longest-serving VP under Museveni has been marred by allegations of corruption – which he denies – and colourful revelations about his private life.

Prof. Bukenya, whose re-election as MP for Busiro North is being contested in court, said he would remain a faithful member of the ruling NRM party. “I will remain strong in NRM and I will continue supporting government’s strong and positive programmes but I will not hesitate to criticise wrong programmes,” he told Daily Monitor last night. “I thank
    those Ugandans who have been supporting me and look forward to more advancement of Uganda.”

Prof. Bukenya’s sacking comes after Parliament yesterday ordered ministers who were recently re-appointed by President Museveni without parliamentary approval to vacate offices as MPs voiced concern over the delay to constitute a new government.

2. s

sawabho JF-Expert Member

May 24, 2011
    Well done Mu7. This Prof. was supposed to be giving lectures in one of the Universities in the world as well as conducting researches, and not involving in politics.