Museveni ready to step down in 2016

ByaseL

JF-Expert Member
Nov 22, 2007
President Museveni will step down in 2016 if his ruling National Resistance Movement party asks him to.

Mr Museveni made the declaration on Friday during an interview with the American television network, CNN. “I can leave power anytime, but if it is discussed and approved by my party,” he said.

Mr Museveni, in power since 1986, is one of the longest-serving African leaders. He defended his long grip on power, saying he had earned the mandate of the people through elections, although independent observers have questioned the integrity of all four elections.

The President has repeatedly passed the question of his retirement to his party, which he controls closely, but the latest declaration comes amid growing calls within the NRM for Mr Museveni to step down or name his departure date.

Mr Mike Mukula, the NRM vice chairperson in Eastern Uganda and Soroti Municipality MP, yesterday it was time for the party to openly debate the succession question.
“I think there is a growing feeling among the party members that this should be President Museveni’s last term,” Mr Mukula, who is one of the party officials who have indicated they might be interested in replacing Museveni, told Daily Monitor.
“It is important to note that he can still serve in other capacities, among them the chairperson of the party and when the East African political federation takes off, he can serve as its president because he would be the most experienced then for that job.”

Hizo ni stori za kuwaambia CNN. Chama hakiwezi kumuomba asigombee. Kwanini asubiri mpaka chama kimuombe asigombee? Kwanini asitangaze tu kwamba sina mpango wa kugombea tena.

Ndani ya NRM hakuna ambaye anaweza kumwambia kwamba sasa usigombee. Sasa hivi anahangaika kumwandaa kijana wake ili aje kugombea, maana mdogo wake Salim Salehe elimu yake inamwangusha, vinginevyo angeishagombea kitambo na kupewa u-Rais kwenye sahani.

Back
Top Bottom