Msiba mkubwa: Adam Lusekelo Mwakang'ata

Rest in Peace Adam. We loved you, you were one of those journalists who did not fear about your work but the truth. I know there will be a lot of people in the Government who will be celebrating your death, but the work you started will not die and will continue to inspire those who fight for the children of this country.

Let's all continue the good work which Adam Lusekelo started. May the family have the strength to mourn peacefully.

isije ikawa ndo siku ya wajinga.angalia sana kama uongo tunakuban.
R.I.P my Brother ADAM

Bwana ametoa na Bwana ametwaa! Tumepoteza moja ya waandishi makini

Rest in peace for we will never see you again in this decay-able body.

Oooh Adam, Ukagone Malafyale.
Your pen was mightier than your quite composure,knew you from our days at the UDSM.May you rest in eternal peace.
Gwingile mmbunyafyale
Joune Lole Gwakisa

R.I.P Adam, nakumbuka tulipokuwa pamoja UDSM (Manzese) na vile vile news room (Daily/Sunday News) chini ya Mhariri Mkuu mzee Mwambulukutu (early 80's). All those good old days!

Rest in Peace Adam. We loved you, you were one of those journalists who did not fear about your work but the truth. I know there will be a lot of people in the Government who will be celebrating your death, but the work you started will not die and will continue to inspire those who fight for the children of this country.

Let's all continue the good work which Adam Lusekelo started. May the family have the strength to mourn peacefully.

r.i.p Adam, amen.

Kwa kweli ni pigo kubwa sana katika tasnia ya uandishi nchini. Wengi ambao tumekuwa tukisoma maandishi yake kwa muda mrefu tunajikuta tukikubaliana na ukweli kwamba kwa maneno machache aliweza kusema mengi katika kila makala zake. Kama kuna mtu ambaye kwa kweli nimekuwa nikitamani nijifunze kuandika kama yeye ni Lusekelo. Ametuachia mfano mzuri wa kuweza kuuzungumza ukweli mbele ya watawala tena "With A Soft Touch"

Kama kulikuwa na namna yoyote ya kuondoka basi ameondoka kwa staili ambayo ni ishara tu ya njama ya mbinguni. How can a satire writer pass away on April Fool's Day? Talk about divine irony!

Adam Lusekelo was the greatest humour writer in Tanzania. He used humour to deliver his message in a very unique way. Gone too soon!

For samples of his work, please visit: adam lusekelo online

We demand a new constitution now!

December 4, 2010

BY ADAM LUSEKELO

Maybe she was being starry-eyed after being sworn-in as a new cabinet officer in the ministry of constitutional affairs last week. The brand new minister, Celina Kombani rejected the need for to overhaul the Tanzanian constitution branding the call for it “pedestrian.”

Privately I doubt if she lives in such a cloud-cuckoo land not know the overwhelming call for a new constitution. I gather she said that such talk is “pedestrian” which I wonder if the reporter wanted to equate with the Kiswahili – maneno ya mtaani.

“Let them come with something concrete in writing, showing which sections (of the constitution) have problems, why and suggest the alternative. The government should not be forced to respond to these sensitive issues through reading newspapers.”

Do I detect am tinge of pooh-poohinh of newspapers and the media in Aunt Celina’s dismissal? Because I suspect that her ladyship is implying that what is read in the papers ought not to be trusted or taken into serious consideration. Only those words uttered in official circles are ‘serious’ and intelligents while the rest of us are bull-shitting! Only they can think and have the monopoly of brains.

If there was no need form constitutional review and reform why did the Prez, Jack Mrisho himself, think that the heavyweight issued merited a whole ministry? He should have made her a minister for something else.

Strange. For, at the same time opposition MP for Wawi, Hamad Rashid Mohammed of the Civic United Front (CUF) has cautioned against the now tired tactic of government pussy-footing to escape from responsibility.

Mr. Hamad said that his party has filed more than three letters to the Government talks over constitutional changes nothing has been done: “Who does not know the long cry of having a new constitution, we wrote a letter to President Kikwete when he took over the office in 2005, and likewise to former President Benjamin Mkapa but nothing has been done,” he said

That the ninth parliament he prepared private motion but was not given a chance either.

Academics, politicians and the public at large have been clamoring and calling for a review of constitution and everyone knows that – except Aunt Celina. She thinks all that is “pedestrian.”

Which makes one wonder – was there a need for a whole ministry of constitutional affairs? If so – then what is her job description then?
Maybe to tell Tanzanians that there is no need for a new constitution. So we got ourselves a brand new ministry of constitution affairs to tell us that we don’t need a new constitution! No wonder we have a bloated cabinet.

I hear that the minister cautioned that if not handled properly, it could plunge the nation into serious problems.

Indeed. Dismissal and pooh-poohing of such matters of national importance as “pedestrian” does not bode well for Bongo. Or, maybe Aunt Kombani was a bit excited and loudly thinking with her mouth.

The minister further claimed that the craving for a full review of the constitution was not in the interest of citizens and the government. It
reminds me of statements I used to read during the cold ideological wars between eastern European and capitalist countries, of the 50s and 60s. Then you got those statements from the ministry of Interior.

Today, I would wish that politicians should check their gearing systems, before engaging their mouths. The demand for a new constitution is real. It should not, at any moment, be treated as a gift from politicians to the people of Bongo who voted for them in the first place!

So sad..; huyu bwana nilikuwa napenda sana makala zake za "With a Light Touch" ambako alikuwa akiwachana watu live kwa namna ya kuwasanifu sana...; he was really fun
Kama mzee PUNCH vile Mungu amulaze mahala pema Lusekelo

RIP Malafyale,You fought a good fight! wazalendo wa nchi hii watakukumbuka sana kwa article zako tamu lakini zenye kukemea na kuonya.

I met Adam while working at IPP Media.
His humors and bright thoughts will always be with us.

Gone to soon.