MSAADA; Information on HIV and indigenous communities in Africa/ Tanzania

Kudadadeki

Oct 7, 2010
Note; Najua hii forum haiendani na topic yangu, but kwa kuwa Wataaluma wengi hupitia hapa naomba hii post ikae hapa kwa muda....tafadhali Wakuu

Dear JF Members, a favour please;

Am working on a brief information sheet (4-6 pages) on HIV and indigenous communities in Africa/ Tanzania. I have made some contacts regarding the research but it has not been Successfull.

I wonder if you know of any organizations or individuals who are or have done research about indigenous populations in Africa, have projects specifically focusing on African indigenous populations and HIV/AIDS, etc.

Natanguliza shukrani Waungwana !

Habari gani?
I'm not sure if this is a coincidence, or if we are working on the same project, but we too are putting together a fact sheet on HIV/AIDS and Indigenous populations in Africa (as well as Canada). Do you by chance have an affiliation with the indigenous populations of Africa co-ordinating committe (IPACC)? I am writing from the Interagency Coalition on AIDS and Development in Ottawa, Canada.
Asante na ninatumaini nitapata jibu yako mapema.

Hi,
niko na rafiki zangu hapa wa Tazania (2) pia. wanafanya project za HIV as part of their PhDs ila ni scinetist in the sense kwamba wana fanya laboratory works genotyping blood samples from confirmed HIV positives individuals in africa (sentinel sites !!!not all countries) so theyreally have specifics ( genetic diversity ya patterns za HIV in Africa). cjui kama watakua na msaada sana coz they are half way through their 3 year project. incase u will need more infor from them let me let me know!!!

You can Google (GLIA) Great Lakes Initiatives project for HIV/AIDS. This include Tz, Burundi, Rwanda,DRC, Uganda, Kenya, etc. All the best.

Astante kwa jibu yako, bwana.
Samahani--my Swahili is good, but not perfect, so I will resort to writing in English. I would love to be put in touch with your collegues to see if we can share information.
If you prefer, feel free to send me a private message.
Asante sana.
--Layla

What do you mean by 'indigenous people'? Africans or any people living in Africa or Tanzania?

Sorry for any confusion.
We are using the Indigenous Peoples of Africa Co-ordinating Committee's definition of "indigenous". They describe Indigenous populations in Africa as follows:
"Particular communities, due to historical and environmental circumstances, have found themselves outside the state-system and underrepresented in governance. These ‘first-peoples' or ‘autochthonous peoples' have associated themselves with the United Nations' standards on the rights of indigenous peoples. This is not to deny other Africans their status; it is to emphasise that affirmative recognition is necessary for hunter-gatherers and herding peoples to ensure their survival.
The claims to being indigenous in Africa are related to a cluster of characteristics:
  • political and economic marginalisation rooted in colonialism;
  • de facto discrimination based often on the dominance of agricultural peoples in the State system (e.g. lack of access to education and health care by hunters and herders);
  • the particularities of culture, identity, economy and territoriality that link hunting and herding peoples to their home environments in deserts and forests (e.g. nomadism, diet, knowledge systems);
  • some indigenous peoples, such as the San and Pygmy peoples are physically distinct, which makes them subject to specific forms of discrimination."
1. (http://www.ipacc.org.za/eng/who.asp)

Back
Top Bottom