Mrembo wa Kibongo

BAK

JF-Expert Member
Feb 11, 2007
Local teen a magazine cover girl[/h]Lester B. Pearson student juggles school life with promising modelling career Perez Hilton compares teen to Naomi Campbell

6086fafa4b83acc3ac2d30204b01.jpeg

Herieth Paul at Angie's Model and Talent International in Ottawa.
"Two days ago I Googled a picture, I wrote ‘Herieth Elle Canada cover,' and the picture just showed up, and I showed my mom and I was like, ‘Oh my God.'"

METRO
Published: June 09, 2011 5:00 a.m.
Last modified: June 08, 2011 10:32 p.m.

It wasn't Herieth Paul's lifelong dream to become a model, but the 16-year-old Ottawa student is days away from seeing her

face on the front cover of Elle Canada magazine.

"It looks amazing. I couldn't even believe it, I'm still in shock," said Paul yesterday in downtown Ottawa.

The Tanzania-born teen came to Ottawa four years ago and lives with her mother while her father stayed behind for work. Two years later, Angie's Model and Talent International changed her life.

"People were always telling me, ‘You are so tall and pretty you should be a model,'" said Paul. "Then when we moved to Canada I thought it was a good opportunity and I came to Angie's on a Sunday on an open call."

Since then, the modelling agency has helped her land photo shoots in L.A., Phoenix and Colombia.

The July issue of Elle Canada will hit the shelves within the next week, and Paul cannot wait to see it.

Until then, though, she'll have to focus on her math homework.

Nimekuwa nikimsoma (tena namna alivyo ingia kwenye fasheni shows) simulizi inavutia sana

HERIETH PAUL
Model stat
Age 17
Hometown Ottawa
Height 5'11"

Four years ago, Herieth Paul was standing in front of an open refrigerator in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, trying to keep cool in the shimmering summer heat. Today, she’s slouched on a lounger on the rooftop of the swank Thompson Toronto hotel during her ELLE Canada cover shoot. The Ottawa-based model is new to the fashion game, but she is already on a firstname basis with industry power brokers like Diane von Furstenberg and Steven Meisel.

Despite the hype she is generating, Paul seems endearingly unaffected. It’s the same attitude she had when she moved to Ottawa with her diplomat mother in 2007. “It was a culture shock, but I was young, so it was a fun adventure,” explains Paul. Besides, there was a silver lining. “The culture back in Tanzania was very traditional,” she says. “I used to buy my own clothes and then hide them from my mom. Now, I can wear my H&M dresses and Topshop platforms any time I want.”

That new sartorial freedom gave her modelling aspirations room to grow. “Being a model was my destiny,” she jokes, explaining that she has always wanted to work in fashion. While her mother was at work, Paul researched local agencies. Angie’s Models & Talent International didn’t hesitate when the lithe stunner walked through the door in 2009. “When I signed with them, I didn’t know that it was going to be a whole other world out there,” she says with a smile.

Paul was signed last June by the famed NYC Women Direct Agency to walk in both the Lacoste and 3.1 Phillip Lim spring/summer 2011 shows. But the magnitude of what was happening still hadn’t sunk in. “I closed the Lacoste show and I was mad because I thought they put me last,” says Paul. “My agency was like, ‘No, you closed the show—that’s different!’”

It seemed like there was only one roadblock to superstardom: mom. “It took a lot of convincing for her to let me make a real go of modelling— and a lot of phone calls from my aunts,” says Paul. “She was afraid that I’d fall in with a bad crowd.” Paul’s mother finally relented, chaperoning her youngest daughter to Milan’s fall/winter 2011 fashion week to watch her stomp down some of the hottest runways in town: Emilio Pucci and Ermanno Scervino.

Paul also landed an enviable big-budget CK One commercial shot by star maker Steven Meisel. (The second ad airs this month.) In a resumé-making coup, Meisel requested Paul for an editorial in the January edition of Vogue Italia. He has long been an advocate of diversity in the industry, acting as the creative force behind Vogue Italia’s 2008 all-black issue.

As she talks about crushes (she loves Lil’ Wayne, even though he curses too much) and tomorrow’s trigonometry test, Paul seems like a typical teen— until she gets a text from her NYC booker telling her that she has landed Alexander Wang’s next spring/summer campaign. She knows she’s having a moment, but she’s looking ahead to the future. “I’ve heard there’s a thing called a ‘buzz,’” she says. “Once that’s gone, you’re out. But if Naomi can be famous for 30 years, why can’t I?”

http://www.ellecanada.com/home/fashion/canada-s-10-new-runway-stars/a/46959/2

hawa wanajikondesha eti kisa uremo hebu angalia alivyokakamaa shingo, mikono utadhani ni mgonjwa wa kifua kikubwa kile? Tunataka warembo natural sio articial made hapa. Angalia misuli hiyo shingoni utafikiri kanyimwa chakula sasa kiunoni si itakuwa kama ball joint za gari

hawa wanajikondesha eti kisa uremo hebu angalia alivyokakamaa shingo, mikono utadhani ni mgonjwa wa kifua kikubwa kile? Tunataka warembo natural sio articial made hapa. Angalia misuli hiyo shingoni utafikiri kanyimwa chakula sasa kiunoni si itakuwa kama ball joint za gari

''Tunataka'' wewe na nani mazee. Wengine ndio tunapenda hivo vitu potabo, fullu masarakasi.

0 Reactions
Back
Top Bottom