Mkapa Makerere Alumni 2009 Speech

nimeona kwenye ile video chumba cha mkapa,hivi mlimani wanajua chumba gani museveni alikuwa anakaaa

The idea of alma mater and alumnus association is mostly a Western-import.

However, the role and function of any alumnus association is imbedded into the national context of the country in which the alma mater is located.

Most of Western countries were self-sufficient in establishing such citadels of higher learning, which is why their now rich alumni endow their respective alma maters with financial bounties.

It would appear rather unpatriotic if Ben Mkapa (or Mwai Emilio Kibaki) gave millions to his alma mater Makerere!

Similarly, Yoweri Kaguta Museveni would be construes as unpatriotic if he endowed his alma mater Mlimani with such millions!

Poor students in their respective countries, namely, Tanzania, Kenya and Uganda, are failing to meet the exorbitant tuitions.

Such endowments should just be given nationally; after all, Makerere was not of Uganda, much as its location was in Uganda. It was an East African institution of higher learning.

That suggestion would help, so that Ben Mkapa does not have to repeat, "In Tanzania, when I listen to, or read what is written by some university students or even some dons, I do not get the comfort that they have such an understanding, grounded in reality."

The idea of alma mater and alumnus association is mostly a Western-import.

However, the role and function of any alumnus association is imbedded into the national context of the country in which the alma mater is located.

Most of Western countries were self-sufficient in establishing such citadels of higher learning, which is why their now rich alumni endow their respective alma maters with financial bounties.

It would appear rather unpatriotic if Ben Mkapa (or Mwai Emilio Kibaki) gave millions to his alma mater Makerere!

Similarly, Yoweri Kaguta Museveni would be construes as unpatriotic if he endowed his alma mater Mlimani with such millions!

Poor students in their respective countries, namely, Tanzania, Kenya and Uganda, are failing to meet the exorbitant tuitions.

Such endowments should just be given nationally; after all, Makerere was not of Uganda, much as its location was in Uganda. It was an East African institution of higher learning.

That suggestion would help, so that Ben Mkapa does not have to repeat, "In Tanzania, when I listen to, or read what is written by some university students or even some dons, I do not get the comfort that they have such an understanding, grounded in reality."

I don't believe Ben Mkapa gave, he was just used as a famous keynote speaker for fundraising. Furthermore, in the current Americanization of the world, I wouldn't be surprised if he was paid for the speech. An ex president has to eat after all, and that government pension is good but a man of Mkapa's taste can use a few extra bucks, if only to indulge in some rarefied Scotch Whisky.

The fact that you cannot exhaust his the star power ( outside Tanzania at least, at home he cannot even go to national events for fear of some youths brandishing rotten eggs his way!)- the fact that you cannot exhaust his star power, and the fact that that was what he was giving at Makerere, neutralizes your argument.

Mkapa can even say, if these Tanzanians do not appreciate me and badmouth me, I can always go where I am appreciated, and that includes Makerere.

It is sad that a place as close as Makerere does not recognize the gross misconduct committed by Mkapa. On second thoughts it is not entirely convincing that Makerere dons do not have access to Tanzanian papers and are not aware of the accusations hanging over Mkapa. They are likely just ignoring, after all the U Tube report from their TV reporting this event from a student body's perspective suggest dissatisfaction stemming from gross misconduct of financial nature at Makerere, so they may not turn out to be so principled after all, and as long as Ben Mkapa can make them a quick buck, who cares or even know about Kiwira in Uganda?

Their other responsibility is to be role models and positive mentors of new generations of educated Africans. Again, let us step back, and consider our ways, wherever we may be, and whatever we are doing. Have we been good role models, and have we mentored new generations of educated Africans in the right direction? What have they learnt from us--not from our words, but from our actions--and
what will they learn from successive generations of alumni? Have we built the foundations of good governance and strong institutions that can outlive us, or are we passing on the buck to the next generation?

Does Mkapa understand the meaning of a role model? The same guy who sold Kiwira to

himself at a throw away price, and also spent million of dollars in purchasing dubious

radar is now turning around and try to act as Mr clean. For God sake , Mr.Mkapa

please stop this nonsense !

"Being an ex-Makekererian gave one enormous social status. It may have bred a little Elitism…." (Mkapa)

a little Elitism…" Mkapa is wrong!

Makerere of then (Makerereians) was an elitist institution, per excellence!

Its graduants roamed the rest of East Africa...and parts of Central African Federation, namely, Northern Rhodesia and Nyasaland) masquerading as the only educated individuals in these regions, calling their fellow Africans, "uncouth, uncultured, uneducated and foolish!"

The establishment of "boarding schools" meant to alienate African children from their traditional existentiality and ape uzungu!

A few managed to continue with such cultural alienation to those citadels of higher leaning. For instance, at Makerere, they were trained by the British to evolve from the traditionalists and indigenity of East Africa.

They reached the apex of Uzungu Weusi only to realise that their arrival into uzungu was, indeed, enigmatic, similar to the movie, Mr. Johnston, (about such Mzungu Mweusi ni colonial Nigeria).

And it was not only Makerere; there were its sister colleges in West Africa, namely, Achimota College (Gold Coast) and Fourah Bay (Sierra Leone).

The theme of Uzungu Weusi has not been given its rightful pedestal in the field of academia! Today we are raising questions, problems, issues and concerns over poor leadership among our political leaders.
The vacuity of leadership has its root-causes in Uzungu Weusi! Such leadership vacuum or void has grown because of such uzungu weusi "of the few by the few for the few" walalaheri; they have turned into mafisadi!

Some are afraid to play it safe on the home turf, except to regurgitate what they think they know on foreign turfs, like Mr. Clean!

“Being an ex-Makekererian gave one enormous social status. It may have bred a little Elitism….” (Mkapa)

a little Elitism…" Mkapa is wrong!

Makerere of then (Makerereians) was an elitist institution, per excellence!

Its graduants roamed the rest of East Africa...and parts of Central African Federation, namely, Northern Rhodesia and Nyasaland) masquerading as the only educated individuals in these regions, calling their fellow Africans, "uncouth, uncultured, uneducated and foolish!”

The establishment of “boarding schools” meant to alienate African children from their traditional existentiality and ape uzungu!

A few managed to continue with such cultural alienation to those citadels of higher leaning. For instance, at Makerere, they were trained by the British to evolve from the traditionalists and indigenity of East Africa.

They reached the apex of Uzungu Weusi only to realise that their arrival into uzunguwas, indeed, enigmatic, similar to the movie, Mr. Johnston, (about such Mzungu Mweusi ni colonial Nigeria).

And it was not only Makerere; there were its sister colleges in West Africa, namely, Achimota College (Gold Coast) and Fourah Bay (Sierra Leone).

The theme of Uzungu Weusi has notbeen given its rightful pedestal in the field of academia! Today we are raising questions, problems, issues and concerns over poor leadership among our political leaders.
The vacuity of leadership has its root-causes in Uzungu Weusi!Such leadership vacuum or void has grown because of such uzungu weusi “of the few by the few for the few” walalaheri; they have turned into mafisadi!

Some are afraid to play it safe on the home turf, except to regurgitate what they think they know on foreign turfs, like Mr. Clean!

Wacha Weee !!!!!!!!!!!. You made my day.

I don't believe Ben Mkapa gave, he was just used as a famous keynote speaker for fundraising. Furthermore, in the current Americanization of the world, I wouldn't be surprised if he was paid for the speech. An ex president has to eat after all, and that government pension is good but a man of Mkapa's taste can use a few extra bucks, if only to indulge in some rarefied Scotch Whisky.

The fact that you cannot exhaust his the star power ( outside Tanzania at least, at home he cannot even go to national events for fear of some youths brandishing rotten eggs his way!)- the fact that you cannot exhaust his star power, and the fact that that was what he was giving at Makerere, neutralizes your argument.

Mkapa can even say, if these Tanzanians do not appreciate me and badmouth me, I can always go where I am appreciated, and that includes Makerere.

It is sad that a place as close as Makerere does not recognize the gross misconduct committed by Mkapa. On second thoughts it is not entirely convincing that Makerere dons do not have access to Tanzanian papers and are not aware of the accusations hanging over Mkapa.
They are likely just ignoring, after all the U Tube report from their TV reporting this event from a student body's perspective suggest dissatisfaction stemming from gross misconduct of financial nature at Makerere, so they may not turn out to be so principled after all, and as long as Ben Mkapa can make them a quick buck, who cares or even know about Kiwira in Uganda?

.... the intellects, the technocrats, the politicians, the walalahoi and walalakheri alike all of them fall under the big umbrella of "miafrika ndivyo tulivyo". How else can you explain this: https://www.jamiiforums.com/jukwaa-...-wetu-tanzania-na-uzalendo-wao-kwa-taifa.html

Ingebidi Mkapa atoe decree kabla ya speech "Thou shalt not sleep in long presidential speech"... Nimeisoma yote, 18 pages. Tuache utani jamani, Mkapa is a genius kwenye speech zake, haswa za kiingereza. His intellect and oratory come second only to the great JK Nyerere. Pia alikuwa na authority kweli akiwa Rais, hata akihutubia mikutano ya kimataifa au kuwa interviewed na CNN, BBC, etc anakufanya uwe proud to be a Tanzanian. Tatizo biashara Ikulu, Kiwira, illegal contract extension ya mkataba wa TICTS na madudu mengine yataendelea kumsakama daima. Otherwise, Mkapa was a damn good president!

I am in deep thought of my country, this post made me to remember Mkapa especially in this very season! 4yrs has gone, JK has done nothing so that we can forget Mkapa, the fact tha Mkpa's name is still in our memory is the sign that the country is orphan, we have no president never mention PM

Back
Top Bottom