Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Minimum wage for Domestic workers

Discussion in 'Jukwaa la Siasa' started by Kiberega, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Kiberega

Kiberega Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Dear JF member;

I have read and tried to follow the Tanzania Government Notice No. 223of 2007, Labour Institution Act section 39(1) and come to ask myself several questions with reagard to domestic workers.

Did the law makers take into consideration the diversity of employers to DWs?
    Many of them are low-income workers (nurses, teachers, court clerks, policemen/women, ......) who earn Tsh.100,000/ to 350,000/ per month.
    If you earn Tsh.140,000/- and pay Tsh.68,000/- to your DW; what will be left for all your family monthly needs is Tsh.72,000/- ! Are they (law maker)confortable with that?
    The sectoral minimum wages should base on among other factors, productivity, competetiveness and AFFORDABILITY, did the consider the last in this case?

If we agree that we solve (although Tsh.68,000/- isn't enough) the DWs salary problem and create more problems to their employers to try and make ends meet (selling ice cream in school, medicine in public hospitals, false emegency leaves, lack of concentration in profession, dropping education standards, falling ethics, ....) are we really solving the social problem or multiplying it?
    Is this just a face-wash in front of the DWs? Who is following it up to ensure its applicability?

"...sectoral boards should conduct thorough investigation which cover many aspects of those who are going to be affected by the outcome of their work and advice to the reponsible Minister, that is both employers and employees"

"The legal effect of the work order is that is is binding on all employers and employees describe in the notice"

Please assist me with some analysis and clarification

2. M

Mama Joe JF-Expert Member

Aug 12, 2009
    From what I know is 68,000/= provided they don't eat or stay with you,
    for which most people I know pay them 50,000 if they provide them with breakfast and lunch but no accomodation,
    but it went on to clarify that if they also stay with you (accomodation), 25% is deducted to which you pay them around 25,000 to 35,000/= and this is a common rate now.

3. Next Level

Next Level JF-Expert Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Mama Joe, there you are!

Many families couldn't afford paying the 68k while the DW is taken care of every thing by employer! Ofcourse if one takes care of her/him self 68k is fair pay, otherwise 20 t0 30k is fair provided DW's expenses are covered by employer!

Practically and to be sincere we are paying even less than 20k pm!

4. M

MzalendoHalisi JF-Expert Member

Aug 12, 2009
    kule village kuna watu maskini watakuomba umchukue mtoto wake hata ukae nae tu bure hata umpe chakula- je na huyu atakuwa DW?