Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Men 'More Likely To Die Of Cancer Than Women'

Discussion in 'Habari na Hoja mchanganyiko' started by Giro, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Giro

Giro JF-Expert Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Men are almost 40% more likely than women to die from cancer because they don't like going to the doctor and have unhealthy lifestyles, according to new research.

They are also around 70% more likely to die from cancers that affect both men and women, such as stomach, liver and kidney cancer.Men are also far more likely to develop the disease in the first place.

The findings are based on cancer rates in the population, adjusted for age, and are part of a new report from the National Cancer Intelligence Network (NCIN), Cancer Research UK and the Men's Health Forum.

Researchers expected men and women to be almost equally as likely to develop and die from cancers that affect both sexes.There is "no known biological reason" why men should be more likely to develop cancer and die, they said in the study published to mark Men's Health Week.

But they suggested "stereotypical" male behaviours - such as down-playing early symptoms, not visiting the doctor and having unhealthier lifestyles - could be to blame.The study found men were 16% more likely to develop any type of cancer in the first place but more than 60% more likely to develop cancers that can affect both sexes, excluding those that affect just one sex.

Professor David Forman, information lead for the NCIN, said: "Men have a reputation for having a 'stiff upper lip' and not being as health-conscious as women.

"What we see from this report could be a reflection of this attitude, meaning men are less likely to make lifestyle changes that could reduce their risk of the disease and less likely to go to their doctor with cancer symptoms.

"Late diagnosis makes most forms of the disease harder to treat."

The Government's cancer tsar, Professor Mike Richards, said a new programme - titled Ahead of the Game - will promote the need for men to seek help sooner.

2. GP

GP JF-Expert Member

Jun 16, 2009
    respect!

3. F

Fungu la kukosa Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Hellow community members of jammi forum, it is my anticipation that you are all doing well wherever you are, and that, you are preparing to deliver to your fellow coummunty members what exactly they would like to hear from you,the reliaible and educative news/information, not propagandas.
    Briefly my name is FUNGU LA KUKOSA, as from now onwards, you will all be hearing much from me as I will be participating fully in giving my comments on all sensitive issues that might be considred grievances in our community"Jammii Forum" I like to learn from everyone of you but do not expect me to respond to any aggrassive or indecent statements which do not add anything to my brain rather than confusing me and make me lose my direction. We have to know that time is money, hence it has to be used as effectively as beneficially as possible otherwise we gonna suffer and put ourselves in trouble.Thank you very much for your paying attention to me.Bye and take care.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009