Leaders faulted over sale of sisal on public land..

Civil society groups have protested against administrators in Taveta District for allegedly allowing a Tanzania-based dealer to harvest sisal worth Sh80 million from public land. Darubini ya Haki Taveta and Taita Taveta Rights Forum are accusing the administrators and Lands officials of giving the nod without following laid-down procedures. The groups said the sisal was on 15,000 acres of land acquired by the government from former MP Basil Criticos for squatter settlement.
Darubuni ya Haki Taveta chairman Jaspa Murutu said the sisal and any other assets on the land are supposed to be protected by the government officials from vandalism and trade by individuals. "It is unfortunate that those charged with protecting our property were the same ones involved in selling it illegally," he said. "If the sisal harvesting was to be done, normal government procedures should have been followed."
Not advertised
He said the disposal of the sisal was not advertised in any newspapers but the officials secretly single-sourced the harvester. "We are now calling for an investigation of the lands and administration officials involved in the illegal deal," he said, adding that disciplinary action should be taken against the culprits.
Mr Richard Mwangeka of Taita-Taveta Rights Forum said it was unfortunate for the government officers to engage in such a deal. "This is corruption of the highest order, which the Kenya Anti-Corruption Commission needs to investigate," he said. Speaking from Tanzania, the dealer, Mr Julius Mvati, said he was allowed by the district commissioner and a Lands adjudication and settlement official to harvest the sisal. "These are the people who know how I got permission to enter the farm. If there is any question about what I am doing, then they are there to explain," he said. "As a Taveta but living in Tanzania, I developed interest in the product and approached them before they gave me a go- ahead," he said. Area DC Hirbae Nkaduda, when contacted for comment yesterday morning, said he was in a meeting and would call back. He did not call back.
On calling him again in the afternoon he did not pick his phone.

Yamekuwa haya tena ... wakenya na unyang'au wao yanawashinda.

Na bado huo ni mwanzo tuu utasikia mengi zaidi. Unajua hali halisi ni tofauti kabisa na kelele nyingi unazozisikia, ukiondoa wale big shots wachache walioshika patamu asilimia kubwa iliyobaki ni tabaka la kuonewa huruma. Hivi jamaa alikuwa anaongea lugha gani? si huwa wanasemaga wabongo hawajui kidhungu!!!:fish2:

Back
Top Bottom