Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Law to enhance right to information on the way, says government

Discussion in 'Jukwaa la Sheria (The Law Forum)' started by Alpha, Mar 7, 2009.

1. A

Alpha JF-Expert Member

Mar 7, 2009
    Anybody have more detail on this. What information will now be available that was previously classified?

2. Tatu

Tatu JF-Expert Member

Mar 7, 2009
    Je hii ni dalili ya CCM kutaka MAFISADI wajulikane kabla ya uchaguzi mkuu ujao ili iweze kuwatema?

Mhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

3. Companero

Companero Platinum Member

Mar 7, 2009
    Its a lot of 'classified' information. Apparently, the government wanted to come up with a bad media law a year or so ago therefore the right to information activists advocated against it. The government went back to the drawing table. And the activists also drafted 2 bills - one for media services and another one for access to information - and submitted them to the government. I guess the one the government is talking about is the latter but I am not sure if it has not departed from the activists' version. Both versions are in the Media Council of Tanzania's (MCT) website and they also give a background of the provisions of the law that are not pro-information e.g. those in the Newspapers Act of 1976 which was used to ban Mwanahalisi! For more information check out MCT's websites at Media Council of Tanzania - Home.

4. A

Alpha JF-Expert Member

Mar 7, 2009
    This has potential to be very powerful in the fight against corruption if done properly.

However knowing our government i am not holding my breath.