Kiswahili mtandaoni..

epigenetics

JF-Expert Member
May 25, 2008
Wenzetu wa Afrika ya Magharibi wanakwenda kwa kasi ya ajabu kuanzisha 'project' za lugha zao mtandaoni. mfano. the Akan language spell-checker in Mozilla Firefox Browser..
tazama:

kasahorow

Waswahili wenye ujuzi wa Computer Science mpo??
Wikipedia ya kiswahili, Open Office ya kiswahili mbona bado si maarufu?

things are in the making, behold!
haya wa kwanza huyu hapa........kiswahili kitapigaje hatua mtandaoni kama hata ki sentenso kidogo namna hiyo unaandika kwa kikoloni?

Last edited:
Bongolala siku zote hatuko makini tunangoja Kenya waanze kukitangaza Kiswahili ndipo tuanze kupiga kelele kwamba Kiswahili ni chetu na sio cha Kenya kama ilivyokua kwa Kilimanjaro.

Bongolala siku zote hatuko makini tunangoja Kenya waanze kukitangaza Kiswahili ndipo tuanze kupiga kelele kwamba Kiswahili ni chetu na sio cha Kenya kama ilivyokua kwa Kilimanjaro.

Mambo si mambo!!

Wahadhiri wetu wote ni wanasiasa, sisemi wasijadili siasa, la hasha, lakini hata wale waliopo humu ndani ya JF hawachangi kwa kutoa utaalam wao zaidi kwenye fani walizobobea badala yake wao na siasa tu, mwee tutafika.

I had a privilege of working on about three localization projects. And I have always assumed its easy and that every Tanzanian, or rather Swahili speaker will love to see the language going some where. But I was shocked.

As some of you know I am a Linux fan, and started the tzLUG a few years back. We have continued the worked that was started by the Kilinux group of localizing Firefox in a community style. Just from this experience, I learned that if there is no direct gain, monetary, to an individual no one wants to volunteer.

And for a while I though okay, this is just one project, then I joined hands with the CEO of the Kamusi Project, Martin Benjamin for two projects: locales and terminology project, sponsored by ANLoc. These were even worse. We stayed in Tanzania for two weeks and only managed to come up with only 8 locales for the so many languages we have in Tanzania. Everyone we asked, also asked if there money to it. I remember one old man we had asked to assist us the locale for Kimachame said, "Kina watu wamesomea hii kazi bwana, watafute wao waifanye". I then I realize that the problem was mind set. Its always someone else that has to do it, not me.

Now, I understand times are tough, but can we do something because its right. Just a group of less that 10 Linux Users we managed to finish raw translation of 2500 strictly IT terms, in a space of two weeks. Can you imagine what 100 of us can do. The other thing is we are not constructive at our criticism. Some one will look at the work we have done and say this is poor, but can you help us make it better then. I understand we not language majors, but if we start someone else will have a much simpler task of perfecting what we would have done.

I currently working on another project, of generation of local content for [ame="http://sw.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mwanzo"]Wikipedia[/ame]. I have decided to look at involving even high school students this time. Please if you are interested please drop and email. We are looking at raising the bar by at least 30% of the Swahili content on [ame="http://sw.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mwanzo"]Wikipedia[/ame]. This project is sponsored by Google Africa. Also the process of quality checking the 2500 IT terms is still continuing your help will be greatly appreciated.

Instead of saying the TUKI and BAKITA will do it, lets do it and they will just quality assure what we would have do. Sorry for the long post.

Last edited:
I just read this thread. I was myself looking for such an individual who want to do this kind of stuff. I'm thrilled and ready to volunteer.

Let us get in touch and make a team, if anybody else wants will join on the way. My contact: tntambala@online.nl