Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Key Obama ally Rahm Emanuel quits White House

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by TandaleOne, Oct 1, 2010.

1. TandaleOne

TandaleOne JF-Expert Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Washington (CNN) -- Veteran Illinois politician Rahm Emanuel -- long known as one of toughest men in American politics -- has stepped down from his powerful position as White House chief of staff, President Obama announced Friday.
    Emanuel has been temporarily replaced by White House Deputy Chief of Staff Pete Rouse while Obama searches for a long-term replacement.
    Emanuel, who held a Chicago congressional seat for six years, is widely expected to run for mayor of his hometown.
    The move has been anticipated since Chicago Mayor Richard Daley recently decided not to run for re-election.
    Chicago "is the greatest city in the greatest country in the world," Emanuel said. I am "eager to see what I can do ... to make (it) even greater."
    Obama, addressing a crowd of White House staffers, heaped praise on both Emanuel and Rouse.
    This is a "bittersweet day," he said. After being elected president, "I knew that I needed somebody at my side who I could count on day and night to get the job done," he said. Emanuel has brought an "unmatched level" of energy and enthusiasm to the job.
    He "has exceeded all of my expectations. ... I will miss him dearly."
    Democratic officials have said that one of the reasons Rouse doesn't want to serve as White House chief of staff on a permanent basis is because he does not enjoy being in the spotlight.
    Obama joked that Rouse "has never seen a microphone or a TV camera that he likes."
    The list of possible long-term replacements in the mix includes top White House aides Tom Donilon, Phil Schilirro and Ron Klain.
    As for Emanuel, two sources who spoke earlier on the condition of anonymity said he is unlikely to immediately announce his mayoral candidacy this weekend. Advisers said he would prefer to put some distance between his White House exit and the time it will take to line up supporters in Chicago before officially announcing his run.
    Candidates for the Chicago mayoral race must gather 12,500 signatures by November 22. The city's February 22 Democratic primary could be very difficult to win given the number of prospective candidates from various factions of the party lining up to run.
    Emanuel has also been very sensitive to making sure he leaves the White House in good hands given the critical midterm elections that are fast approaching, as well as other transitions expected to happen after the elections.
    As Obama began his remarks, he noted that the announcement had been one of the worst-kept secrets in Washington.
    "Welcome to the least suspenseful announcement of all time," he joked.
  2. BabuK

BabuK JF-Expert Member

Oct 1, 2010
    WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama on Friday said a bittersweet goodbye to the energetic and fierce manager of his White House, chief of staff Rahm Emanuel, and elevated a quiet and seasoned adviser, Pete Rouse, to the most important gate-keeping job in American politics.[video]http://d.yimg.com/a/p/abc/20101001/videolthumb.e13dd51ac4a84565a22f77fde57d91c0.jpg?x =213&y=141&xc=1&yc=1&wc=220&hc=146&q=85&sig=7RnNui3zyHWmqdr47DsFBA--[/video]
    "We could not have accomplished what we've accomplished without Rahm's leadership," Obama said. Emanuel is departing after nearly two grueling years to run for Chicago mayor.
    The announcement was such a poorly kept secret that Obama joked it was "the least suspenseful announcement of all time," but it represented an important moment of transition for the presidency.
    What Emanuel leaves behind is more than a staff job. It is the most demanding and influential position in the White House — save for Obama's. The person who holds it is entrusted to help shape the president's thinking, prioritize his time, manage scores of egos and issues and keep the White House focused on its goals.
    The mood at the White House reflected that this was no ordinary staff change. Cabinet members and senior staff members packed the ornate East Room, a setting often reserved for visits of heads of state, for the official word that Emanuel, the hard-charging leader of the staff, was on his way out.
    Rouse, named interim chief of staff, is a calm, trusted senior adviser to Obama who has spent much of his career as a chief of staff in the Senate.
    "There is a saying around the White House: `Let's let Pete fix it,'" Obama said. "And he does."
    In a nod to the political sensitivities of Emanuel's move, he never directly mentioned that he was running for mayor, and Obama didn't touch that, either. Emanuel, sure to be cast as an outsider by his competitors in the upcoming mayoral campaign, did not want to announce his run from Washington.
    But Emanuel did call Chicago "the greatest city in the greatest country in the world." And he told Obama, "I'm energized by the prospect of new challenges, and eager to see what I can do to make our hometown even greater." The president and Emanuel, confidants and friends, hugged three times during the event.[​IMG]
  3. Yegomasika

Yegomasika JF-Expert Member

Oct 1, 2010
  4. Eqlypz

Eqlypz JF-Expert Member

Oct 1, 2010
    David Axelrod naye anaondoka mwakani kurudi Chicago kuanza campaign za re-election.
  5. TandaleOne

TandaleOne JF-Expert Member

Oct 2, 2010