Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Kenyan minister, MP deny knowingly funding Somalia`s Al-Shabab

Discussion in 'Jukwaa la Siasa' started by manengero, Aug 1, 2011.

1. m

manengero Member

Aug 1, 2011
    [​IMG]

C
    abinet minister Najib Balala and nominated MP Amina Abdalla on Friday reacted to a United Nations report naming them among Kenyans whose donations had been funnelled to the Somali terrorist group Al Shabab.

Mr Balala denied knowingly funding the activities of the terrorist group but maintained that he would continue supporting Islamic activities.

The report of the United Nations Monitoring Group on Somalia and Eritrea prepared for the Security Council exposes in great detail the activities of the terrorist group and its links with governments, businesses and individuals across the region.

Responding to questions, Mr Balala admitted that he attended a fundraiser for a mosque described by the UN report as the nerve centre of the terror group`s activities in Kenya.

“I have never funded al Shabab. I don`t approve of their activities and I have never supported fundamentalism,” Mr Balala said.

“I have been at the forefront in condemning the recruitment of young men to al Shabab. We as Muslim MPs met Honourable Saitoti and Ojode early last year and gave them information about the recruitment of young men to Al Shabab,” the minister added.

Ms Abdalla, who allegedly made a donation of Sh500,000 for the same cause in February this year, declined to comment on the matter when contacted saying she had not read the report.

The report was scheduled for discussion at the security council in New York last night while the US State Department promised a response later.

The report of the UN Monitoring Group on Somalia and Eritrea claimed that Mr Balala attended the fundraiser in aid of Riyadha Mosque in Nairobi`s Pumwani area in September 2009 and donated Sh200,000 which was wired to an account operated by the terrorist outfit that controls huge parts of Somalia.

“I remember very well, I gave a cash donation of Sh100,000 towards the construction of the mosque. Where the money ended up is really not my business. All I know is that I was helping to build a mosque. I will continue supporting Muslim projects,” he said.

The report also says that it has no evidence to suggest that Mr Balala knew that the money would go towards Al Shabab`s activities.

“The Monitoring Group has learned that on 12 September 2009, the Kenyan Minister of Tourism, Najib Balala made a `public cash donation` of 200,000 shillings to a Riyadha Mosque reconstruction fundraising event.

The Minister`s donation was deposited into the PRMC`s Development Steering Committee`s 302178-03) an account that was, at the time, overseen by `Amir` Ahmad Iman and other MYC members,” the report says.

Source: Daily Nation website, Nairobi, in English 30 Jul 11