Kenyan gays Demand Recognition...Bongo hawa nao wapo?

Ab-Titchaz

JF-Expert Member
Jan 30, 2008
Kenya gay demand recognition

homo.jpg

Metropolitan Community Church Priest the Rev Michael Kimindu addresses a gathering of sexual minorities at the National Museum, Nairobi where they assembled to mark the International Day Against Homophobia on May 17, 2010. On his left is activist musician Kate Kamunde from Afra Kenya and Audrie Mbugua (right) from Transgender Kenya

By LUCAS BARASA and JOY WANJA
Posted Tuesday, May 18 2010 at 12:16

Scores of Kenya homosexuals celebrated the International Day Against Homophobia in style Monday and demanded for more recognition.

The Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender and Intersex (LGBIT) persons wined, sung and danced and for the first time allowed media coverage of their function to fight stigma and victimisation associated with their sexual orientation.

"Ten years ago there was no public place that could have hosted such a function," Kenya Human Rights Commission director Muthoni Wanyeki, whose lobby organised the event at the National Museums of Kenya, said.

"Although the Committee of Experts did not allow same sex marriage in Kenya. The Proposed Constitution would enable all Kenyans access health and are free from discrimination and violence. The basic rights are for all Kenyans including people from the gay community."

Ms Wanyeki, however, said despite the government allowing the gay community to meet the battle against harassment of and violence against sexual minorities is still on.

Same sex relationships

Activist Kate Kamunde, who sung lyrics urging the gay to unite and battle hate crime and homophobia, said the community was facing a lot of violence and that some parents stopped paying fees for their children after discovering they were engaged in same sex relationship.

"People have to understand gay people are normal like anybody else only that they love differently. People think it is un-African or is a sickness. Spaces are, however, opening up to accommodate us which was not possible two years ago," Ms Kamunde said.

Ms Kamunde regretted that government officials gave the function a wide birth despite being invited.

Mr Dennis Nzioka, a religious relationship assistant at Gay and Lesbian Coalition of Kenya (Galck), said experts put the population of homosexuals in the world at 6 percent, the same applied to Kenya and urged religious leaders to tolerate them.

"We are born this way. We are created this way. We want to feel comfortable when we come to church. They should stop preaching discrimination against gay people. Just as I am proud to be African I am proud of being gay. There's nothing wrong with what we are doing," the 24 year old said.

Mr Nzioka was happy that homosexuals could now be allowed to meet in the open and that his family also understands him.

"If we had a family meeting, I usually went with my boyfriend but I am currently not dating," he said, adding that there were already many gay marriages in Kenya "although we don't expect licensing in near future".

He said homosexuals need access to medical services and housing.

Daily Nation:

Haya ndio mambo ya East African Cooperation...the excess baggage that will come with it.

DnGayCelebrations1805f.jpg

Gay community activists address their colleagues during celebrations at the National Museum where they assembled to mark the International Day Against Homophobia on May 17, 2010.

DnGayCelebrations1805c.jpg

Members of the Afra Kenya Gay activist group entertain a gathering at the National Museum where they assembled to mark the Gay day on May 17, 2010.

CharlesNgengiwithhisbri.jpg

Ngengi (left) and his 'bride' Chege Gichia at their wedding reception in North Finchely, London on Saturday. They became the first Kenyan gay couple to wed in London under the controversial Civil Partnership Act which came into effect in the UK in 2005 allowing couples of the same sex to have legal recognition of their relationship. News of a similar wedding in Kenya's coastal town of Kilifi, to be held on February 12, 2010,has rattled religious leaders - both Muslim and Christian - who have united in their vow to stop it "at all costs".

Wtf...sodoma na gomorra...where is the world headed. Woi woi...Jesus come back soon.

Inasemekana Kenya imeendelea kuliko nchi nyingine za East Africa, na waseng* wanaamini kuwa useng* ni mojawapo ya dalili za maendeleo makubwa, si unaona Ulaya na Marekani zimeendelea na kuna useng* kibao! Ati tabia zote za binadamu hata wanyama wengine wanayo, lakini hiyo ya useng* wanyama wengine hawana maana hiyo tabia ni superior to all behaviors, inahitaji akili na utashi zaidi ambao wanyama hawana! Ndivyo gays wanavyohalalisha ufirauni wao. Vp Kenya kwa nini wasiazime ile sheria hapo kwa jirani zao Uganda? Maana tusipokuwa imara na hizi hela za misaada tutajikuta Afrika nzima misenge kibao, hadi bungeni itafika, itakuwa ndio mwisho wa mataifa yetu. Balaa kubwa hili.

Inasemekana Kenya imeendelea kuliko nchi nyingine za East Africa, na waseng* wanaamini kuwa useng* ni mojawapo ya dalili za maendeleo makubwa, si unaona Ulaya na Marekani zimeendelea na kuna useng* kibao! Ati tabia zote za binadamu hata wanyama wengine wanayo, lakini hiyo ya useng* wanyama wengine hawana maana hiyo tabia ni superior to all behaviors, inahitaji akili na utashi zaidi ambao wanyama hawana! Ndivyo gays wanavyohalalisha ufirauni wao. Vp Kenya kwa nini wasiazime ile sheria hapo kwa jirani zao Uganda? Maana tusipokuwa imara na hizi hela za misaada tutajikuta Afrika nzima misenge kibao, hadi bungeni itafika, itakuwa ndio mwisho wa mataifa yetu. Balaa kubwa hili.

Wewe una uhakika bungeni hamna mash*ga? Unaeza sema kwa uhakika kuwa kila mtu bungeni ni straight?

yoote yameandikwa katika vitabu vitakatifu sasa mnashangaa nini?kaeni tayari hamtajua siku wala saa.

can smatta answer this to defend his country, kama ndo hivi, hata umoja wao sitaki kabisa, hatuwezi kushirikiana na mashoga.

Days will turn into months and finally years!!! The marriage of the so called East Africa Cooperation/Fedration we are forcing will end up in a bitter divorce!! Tunatofautina mno na hizi culture, economically, politically and socially!!!

Tanzania nako machoko kibao, nashangaa watu mnajifanya kushtuka, nendeni taarab tu pale magomeni friday night mkaone.. Watu mstake kujinfanya tz hakuna hizi ishu. Kila siku tunaskia mapadri wanachezea watoto wakiume tena worldwide.. Its a global thing..Ipo kila pahala.. Hate it or love it.

Wakenya wenzetu wanajidai sana baada ya Muingereza kuwateka mawazo.Kila alipokaa mzungu sana ,mambo haya yapo.angalia South Afrika
hata akina Desmond TUTU hawasemi kitu kuhusu GAYS na Lesbian.
Kuna case Malawi ya gays 2 sijui itafika wapi.

UK ni jamvi la watu wanaokimbia Afrika kwa kuwa gays na lesbians.It is difficult issue!Nafikiri UK ukijilipua kama wewe ni GAY it is straight foward.
Waganda wengi wamedai ni magay!

Ila nafiri Tanzania wapo tu hasa wanaume kwa wanaume,sehemu za COAST.

Do not gloat that this is in Kenya now. Shortly itawafikia huko TZ. Ina ambukiza... any way how sure are you that you do not have them gay people in TZ? Zanzibar need i say more. It will start small halafu it will gain momentum. these people are getting funding from outside to make this kind of noise. They know they have backing of some Western lobby groups ya Gay Lesbian ndo mana they are bold. Enzi za Moi wasinge subutu yaani. No wonder there are no men and women to marry anymore wote wamekimbilia Alternative lifestyles.

can smatta answer this to defend his country, kama ndo hivi, hata umoja wao sitaki kabisa, hatuwezi kushirikiana na mashoga.

what the hell is wrong with you?

what should smatta defend?

it is GAY kenyans finghting against being discriminated by society. there is nothing wrong with that. it is their right as kenyans to fight for their cause. wether they succeed in their fight is another topic but they have a right to fight for for their cause. so i ask you once more, WHAT IS THERE TO DEFEND??? AGAINST WHAT???

grow up and quit being so damn trivial and childish!!! geez!

Dont lie to yourselves. Gay people are everywhere and they will continue to be everywhere. Even animals have been proven to be gay too. Why would God make gay animals?lol Ask yourselves. The truth is homosexuality happens in nature. Its part of the mix.

I am glad the LGBIT community is finally demanding the rights which every human being deserves, I must say this is quite an unexpected move.
I would like to remind people that research has proven time and again that the LGBIT community was, is and will always be a part of the world, they are no different from other people and honestly it's just stupid to say that white people and foreigners are the ones who 'brought' homosexuality to Africa (seriously are people that dumb??)
It's not a disease or a mental illness, it's simply a preference.
To the homophobes I would like to ask who are you to dictate how other people should run their lives??
To the self righteous religious weeaboos I would like to ask why would God create the LGBIT community only to condemn them to a damned life??
What ever happened to love thy neighbor as you love thyself??
Face reality people, I'm very sure Tanzania has a lot of people in the LGBIT community and they too will soon demand their rights against discrimination.

P.S I am not a member of that community, I am simply a true believer in equal rights for everyone regardless of their sexual orientation, race or religion.

I was at church on Sunday. The preacher was Irish. Talked about living a life that is pleasing before God.

Gave several verses and elaborated on all but one: 1 Thessalonians 4:3 ( It is God's will that you should be sanctified, that you should avoid sexual immorality NIV). Talk about political correctness.

I am glad the LGBIT community is finally demanding the rights which every human being deserves, I must say this is quite an unexpected move.
I would like to remind people that research has proven time and again that the LGBIT community was, is and will always be a part of the world, they are no different from other people and honestly it's just stupid to say that white people and foreigners are the ones who 'brought' homosexuality to Africa (seriously are people that dumb??)
It's not a disease or a mental illness, it's simply a preference.
To the homophobes I would like to ask who are you to dictate how other people should run their lives??
To the self righteous religious weeaboos I would like to ask why would God create the LGBIT community only to condemn them to a damned life??
What ever happened to love thy neighbor as you love thyself??
Face reality people, I'm very sure Tanzania has a lot of people in the LGBIT community and they too will soon demand their rights against discrimination.

P.S I am not a member of that community, I am simply a true believer in equal rights for everyone regardless of their sexual orientation, race or religion.

Wewe! Eti it is a preference! Kama kila mtu angeruhusiwa kufanya "preference" zake huku duniani kungekalika kweli? Pedophiles, wezi, me wanting to skin my neighbour alive, etc Ni gonjwa baya!! linasababishwa na hormonal imbalance...

Back
Top Bottom