Kenya: Waziri mwengine ajiuzulu kwa tuhuma za ufisadi

Ab-Titchaz

JF-Expert Member
Jan 30, 2008
Kenya minister steps aside over saga

bundle.jpg

Foreign Affairs minister Moses Wetang'ula (left) leaves Parliament after its sitting October 26, 2010. He denied any direct role in the process through which the government acquired and sold property as detailed in the report of a Parliamentary committee.

By JOHN NGIRACHU
Posted Wednesday, October 27 2010 at 15:21

Kenya Foreign Affairs minister Moses Wetang'ula has stepped aside to pave way for probe into the Sh1.1bn Tokyo embassy scandal.

"For the sake of Sirisia, Kenya, friends, PNU and family, I have decided to step aside to give government room for investigations," he said during a news conference at the Ministry's office in Nairobi.

He, however, maintained his innocence over the mega scandal that had threatened to end his career.

Mr Wetang'ula move comes just hours before Parliament was set to conclude debate on a report by the Defence and Foreign Relations Committee, which recommended that the minister and his permanent secretary step aside to facilitate investigations.

Earlier, PS Thuita Mwangi had communicated to President Kibaki his decision to leave office temporarily.

"I have consciously taken this decision as an expression of my confidence that at the conclusion of the on-going investigations by the Kenya Anti Corruption Commission, the appropriateness of my engagement with all aspects of the operations pertaining to this matter will undoubtedly be established," he said in a statement.

"I step aside purely as a matter of personal dignity and professional integrity – indeed, the very same dignity and integrity I have upheld in the performance of my duties for more than twenty-two years of public service at various levels in the Government."

On Wednesday, the minister denied responsibility for the scandal in Parliament and instead shifted blame to civil servants in his Ministry.

"The long and short of it is this; ministers don’t deal with transactions. We deal with what we are given; ministers only deal with policies,” Mr Wetang’ula said.

“The minister does not procure, the minister does not sign cheques, the minister does not sign vouchers, the minister does not chair committees, the minister does not deal with budgets…” he said during his presentation to the House.

The report reveals that Foreign Affairs Ministry officials ignored recommendations from civil servants and independent valuers to saddle the public with huge bills that could have been avoided.

The Kenya Anti Corruption Commission (Kacc) is now also investigating embassies in Islamabad (Pakistan), Brussels (Belgium), Lagos (Nigeria) and Cairo in Egypt.

In Lagos, the ministry sold two plots said to have been in “one of the choicest areas” of the former political capital of West Africa’s largest country.

The plots were next to the homes of former Nigerian president Ibrahim Babangida, the residence of the British High Commissioner and the residence of the governor of Lagos, among others.

A government team had recommended that Kenya retains the properties but the ministry sold them, claiming they wanted to build a new embassy in Abuja. In the end no embassy was built in Abuja; the government rents premises in Lagos for the embassy.

Over Sh80 million from the sale is not satisfactorily accounted for and a lawyer who acted for the ministry in the transaction is still demanding millions of shillings as legal fees.

In Brussels, the ministry lost an estimated Sh84 million by asking the owner of a building, more than 90 years old, to include the cost of valueless furniture in the price.

Daily Nation:*- News*|Kenya minister steps aside over saga

Foreign PS Thuita steps aside over embassy saga

mwas.jpg

Foreign Affairs Permanent Secretary Thuita Mwangi has stepped aside to allow investigations into the Sh1.1bn Tokyo embassy land saga October 27, 2010.

By ANTHONY KARIUKI
Posted Wednesday, October 27 2010 at 12:30

Foreign Affairs Permanent Secretary Thuita Mwangi has stepped aside to allow investigations into the Sh1.1bn Tokyo embassy land saga.

Mr Mwangi communicated his decision to President Kibaki Wednesday, who in turn accepted.

"His Excellency the President, Hon Mwai Kibaki, has today accepted the request by Mr. Thuita Mwangi, to step aside as Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, to allow for investigations on the report tabled in Parliament by the Committee on Defence and Foreign Relations regarding purchase of and/or Disposal of Government Properties at Foreign Missions," said a statement from the President's office.

In a statement, the PS said he was stepping aside to "allow the competent Government Organs to fully and without impediment investigate all matters of concern raised in the Report of the Departmental Committee on Defence and Foreign Relations on construction, purchase and disposal of properties abroad".

"I have consciously taken this decision as an expression of my confidence that at the conclusion of the on-going investigations by the Kenya Anti Corruption Commission, the appropriateness of my engagement with all aspects of the operations pertaining to this matter will undoubtedly be established," he said.

"I step aside purely as a matter of personal dignity and professional integrity – indeed, the very same dignity and integrity I have upheld in the performance of my duties for more than twenty-two years of public service at various levels in the Government."

Mr Mwangi's move represents a change of heart after he vowed two weeks ago not to resign over the controversial deal.
At the time, he said the report was out to "achieve an ulterior motive" and indicated he would stay put.

The PS said an earlier investigation by auditors from Treasury had concluded that the government got value for its money in the deal.

The House report had recommended that Mr Mwangi and Foreign Affairs minister Moses Wetang'ula step aside to pave way for investigations into the irregular deal.

In a dramatic twist, Mr Wetang'ula has called a news conference at 3 p.m. where he is expected to face questions over his fate.

On Wednesday, the minister denied responsibility for the scandal in Parliament and instead shifted blame to civil servants in his Ministry.

"The long and short of it is this; ministers don’t deal with transactions. We deal with what we are given; ministers only deal with policies,” Mr Wetang’ula said.

“The minister does not procure, the minister does not sign cheques, the minister does not sign vouchers, the minister does not chair committees, the minister does not deal with budgets…” he said during his presentation to the House.

MPs will vote on an amendment to the report seeking to have Mr Wetang'ula's name expunged on Wednesday afternoon.

The amendment was moved by Kimilili MP Eseli Simiyu and supported by Public Service minister Dalmas Otieno.

The proposal was received with hostility by backbenchers with MPs Martha Karua, Isaac Ruto and Farah Maalim leading the opposition to the amendment.

The report reveals that Foreign Affairs Ministry officials ignored recommendations from civil servants and independent valuers to saddle the public with huge bills that could have been avoided.

The Kenya Anti Corruption Commission (Kacc) is now also investigating embassies in Islamabad (Pakistan), Brussels (Belgium), Lagos (Nigeria) and Cairo in Egypt.

In Lagos, the ministry sold two plots said to have been in “one of the choicest areas” of the former political capital of West Africa’s largest country.

Daily Nation:*- News*|Foreign PS Thuita steps aside over embassy saga

Hao wenzetu hawana mchezo. Naona wameamua. Sisi huku ndo kwanza mafisadi wanasifiwa na kupigiwa kampeni. Loh!

We also need this kind of leadership. we have so many smart people who can work for this country.The problem is CCM and its FISADIs. Lazima tuache ukabila, udini, na vitu vingine tuungane kuupinga ufisadi kama Kenya. Mtu fisadi ni mlafi, tena haitakiwi kumchekea hata siku moja. Our President should be the first to show this on his last 4 days. Pls Mr president, you can step down to allow the interllogation over the EPA scandal. Vinginevyo mashitaka yanaongezeka. We will sue you even in 2020.

dnforeign2606gh.jpg

Foreign Affairs Minister Wetang'ula whose ministry is accused of fraudulently procuring the embassy in Tokyo, Japan.

DNWETANGULA2110d.jpg

Foreign Affairs minister Moses Wetangula makes his submission after the Parliamentary Committee on Defence and Foreign Affairs presented a report on October 21,2010.

DNWETANGULA2110a.jpg

Parliamentary Committee on Defence and Foreign Affairs chairman Adan Keynan presents a report on Octover 22, 2010 on the alleged fraudulent purchase of buildings to host Kenyan embassies in Nigeria and Japan.

huyu PS amefanana na yule Marmo wetu wa Mbulu.

Ndugu Raila ameleta changamoto mpya kabisa katika utawala wa Kenya. Hongereni ndugu. naona mnatutangulia kwa karibu kila kitu. Kazi kwa watanzania, nawasikitikia wanaodhani kwamba kazi kama hii yaweza fanywa na CCM. Walau sio hii tunayoiona.

huyu PS amefanana na yule Marmo wetu wa Mbulu.

Ndugu Raila ameleta changamoto mpya kabisa katika utawala wa Kenya. Hongereni ndugu. naona mnatutangulia kwa karibu kila kitu. Kazi kwa watanzania, nawasikitikia wanaodhani kwamba kazi kama hii yaweza fanywa na CCM. Walau sio hii tunayoiona.

Foreign PS Thuita steps aside over embassy saga

mwas.jpg

Foreign Affairs Permanent Secretary Thuita Mwangi has stepped aside to allow investigations into the Sh1.1bn Tokyo embassy land saga October 27, 2010.

By ANTHONY KARIUKI
Posted Wednesday, October 27 2010 at 12:30

Foreign Affairs Permanent Secretary Thuita Mwangi has stepped aside to allow investigations into the Sh1.1bn Tokyo embassy land saga.

Mr Mwangi communicated his decision to President Kibaki Wednesday, who in turn accepted.

"His Excellency the President, Hon Mwai Kibaki, has today accepted the request by Mr. Thuita Mwangi, to step aside as Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, to allow for investigations on the report tabled in Parliament by the Committee on Defence and Foreign Relations regarding purchase of and/or Disposal of Government Properties at Foreign Missions," said a statement from the President's office.

In a statement, the PS said he was stepping aside to "allow the competent Government Organs to fully and without impediment investigate all matters of concern raised in the Report of the Departmental Committee on Defence and Foreign Relations on construction, purchase and disposal of properties abroad".

"I have consciously taken this decision as an expression of my confidence that at the conclusion of the on-going investigations by the Kenya Anti Corruption Commission, the appropriateness of my engagement with all aspects of the operations pertaining to this matter will undoubtedly be established," he said.

Mr Mwangi's move represents a change of heart after he vowed two weeks ago not to resign over the controversial deal.
At the time, he said the report was out to "achieve an ulterior motive" and indicated he would stay put.

The PS said an earlier investigation by auditors from Treasury had concluded that the government got value for its money in the deal.

The House report had recommended that Mr Mwangi and Foreign Affairs minister Moses Wetang'ula step aside to pave way for investigations into the irregular deal.

In a dramatic twist, Mr Wetang'ula has called a news conference at 3 p.m. where he is expected to face questions over his fate.

"The long and short of it is this; ministers don't deal with transactions. We deal with what we are given; ministers only deal with policies," Mr Wetang'ula said.

"The minister does not procure, the minister does not sign cheques, the minister does not sign vouchers, the minister does not chair committees, the minister does not deal with budgets…" he said during his presentation to the House.

MPs will vote on an amendment to the report seeking to have Mr Wetang'ula's name expunged on Wednesday afternoon.

The amendment was moved by Kimilili MP Eseli Simiyu and supported by Public Service minister Dalmas Otieno.

The proposal was received with hostility by backbenchers with MPs Martha Karua, Isaac Ruto and Farah Maalim leading the opposition to the amendment.

In Lagos, the ministry sold two plots said to have been in "one of the choicest areas" of the former political capital of West Africa's largest country.

Daily Nation:*- News*|Foreign PS Thuita steps aside over embassy saga

Down with the FISADIS. Please keep up the pressure.
For once a Minister and his PS can actually step aside? Ministers in Kenya were once invincible OR maybe they still are, i dont' know lakini this is the beginning.
Mr. Wentagula the buck stops with you Do not deny knowledge of the irregularities in this transcations, that was/is your ministry and your responsibility.

finally some people in high places are starting to feel the pressure.

hatucheki na watu, accused of corruption? resign or be suspended. raundi hii hakuna mchezo

Bravo Kenyans, hayo ni matunda ya katiba mpya ambayo Kenya wameipitisha hivi karibuni. Yasingewezekana hayo kama katiba ingekuwa ile ya mwanzo. Sasa zamu ya Bongo kuandaa na kupitisha katiba mpya yenye meno ya ukweli.

Its Kimunya powerful minister of Finance and very close to President Kibaki and strongly defended Kibaka on rigged election results , then Ruto who happen to close to Raila in election saga, now Moses Wetangula another close ally to kibaki who tirelessly fought to ensure Kibaki remain in power after rigging election.
Lesson:
1. Kenya has very active parliament
2. The president works for the people regardless of friendship and being in last term of his tenure
3. Accountability is paramount whenever a scandal raise
4. Tanzania has a weakest goverment
5. Tanzania government is not for the tanzanias people
6. Tanzania goverment officials have placed their interest forefront
7. Tanzania parliament should emulate Kenya parliament example
8. Tanzanians should elect and raise number of opposition member of parliaments to at least 55% to make it active and ensure the government works for Tanzanias interest.

The list of those resigned togather with ministers are principal secretaries, and other officials. Furthermore, Nairobi major and other senior officials resigned on different scandal.

The other good this is Kenya's anti-corruption bureau is not afraid of anyone including ministers and permanent principal secretaries.
Jamani Tz tuko tumelala hivyo loooo!

finally some people in high places are starting to feel the pressure.

hatucheki na watu, accused of corruption? resign or be suspended. raundi hii hakuna mchezo

kwa hili nawapa dole wazee, mmetoka mbali na mapambano, na sasa mna katiba mpya isiyo na zengwe, na kazi inaonekana. tuoneeni huruma watz, pesident anashabikia mafisadi mnadhani tuna mtu hapa..?

Kudos to my fellow Kenyans..thats the way to go

Tanzania tujifunze kutoka kwa wenzetu and that means vote with a spirit of change for the next years to come up

Tuiondoshe CCM, wezi hawa. I've always said that we need to learn the best from the neighbors, mabaya ni kuyaacha!

bundle.jpg

Foreign Affairs minister Moses Wetang'ula (left) leaves Parliament after its sitting October 26, 2010. He denied any direct role in the process through which the government acquired and sold property as detailed in the report of a Parliamentary committee.

By JOHN NGIRACHU

Kenya Foreign Affairs minister Moses Wetang'ula has stepped aside to pave way for probe into the Sh1.1bn Tokyo embassy scandal.

"For the sake of Sirisia, Kenya, friends, PNU and family, I have decided to step aside to give government room for investigations," he said during a news conference at the Ministry's office in Nairobi.

He, however, maintained his innocence over the mega scandal that had threatened to end his career.

Mr Wetang'ula move comes just hours before Parliament was set to conclude debate on a report by the Defence and Foreign Relations Committee, which recommended that the minister and his permanent secretary step aside to facilitate investigations.

Earlier, PS Thuita Mwangi had communicated to President Kibaki his decision to leave office temporarily.

"I have consciously taken this decision as an expression of my confidence that at the conclusion of the on-going investigations by the Kenya Anti Corruption Commission, the appropriateness of my engagement with all aspects of the operations pertaining to this matter will undoubtedly be established," he said in a statement.

"The long and short of it is this; ministers don't deal with transactions. We deal with what we are given; ministers only deal with policies," Mr Wetang'ula said.

"The minister does not procure, the minister does not sign cheques, the minister does not sign vouchers, the minister does not chair committees, the minister does not deal with budgets…" he said during his presentation to the House.

In Lagos, the ministry sold two plots said to have been in "one of the choicest areas" of the former political capital of West Africa's largest country.

The plots were next to the homes of former Nigerian president Ibrahim Babangida, the residence of the British High Commissioner and the residence of the governor of Lagos, among others.

A government team had recommended that Kenya retains the properties but the ministry sold them, claiming they wanted to build a new embassy in Abuja. In the end no embassy was built in Abuja; the government rents premises in Lagos for the embassy.

Over Sh80 million from the sale is not satisfactorily accounted for and a lawyer who acted for the ministry in the transaction is still demanding millions of shillings as legal fees.

In Brussels, the ministry lost an estimated Sh84 million by asking the owner of a building, more than 90 years old, to include the cost of valueless furniture in the price.

Hayo yote ni matunda ya katiba mpya.....that is what is needed here in tanzania. Uwajibikaji

bundle.jpg

By JOHN NGIRACHU

Hayo yote ni matunda ya katiba mpya.....that is what is needed here in tanzania. Uwajibikaji

JK hawezi kuwa na uwajibikaji wa aina hiyo!!! Coz karibu ma-scandal yote yumo... Atajikaangaje na mafuta yake mwenyewe!!! Solution ni kuchagua mabadiliko!!!! Chagua CHADEMA, chagua Dr. SLAA

Back
Top Bottom