Kenya to probe report rebels use city as base

Geza Ulole

JF-Expert Member
Oct 31, 2009

PIX+3.jpg
Uganda's President Yoweri Museveni. PHOTO/ FILE
By KEVIN KELLEY in New York AND PETER LEFTIE pmutibo@ke.nationmedia.com in Nairobi
Posted Monday, January 2 2012 at 22:00
In Summary

• UN says Nairobi is Ugandan Islamic militia group's economic and financial hub

Kenya has promised to investigate reports that a Ugandan rebel group is recruiting Somali refugees living in the country to topple President Yoweri Museveni's government.
Internal Security assistant minister Orwa Ojode denied knowledge of the presence of Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) elements in the country.
"I am not aware of any rebel groups in Kenya, give me time to counter-check the information because I've been away in China," said Mr Ojode.
A new report released by the United Nations claims that the rebel group is using Nairobi as its economic and financial hub.
"Nairobi has served as the hub of ADF economic and financial activities," says the report by a group of experts investigating compliance with UN sanctions against rebel groups operating in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Described by the panel as "a Ugandan Islamist rebel force" seeking to overthrow the Ugandan government, the ADF is said to include about 1,000 combatants.
It has recently recaptured a territory lost to the DRC military, the report says.
Kenyan authorities raided a Nairobi home a few months ago and captured one of the sons of ADF leader Jamil Mukulu, the UN panel reports.
In October, a UN sanctions committee added Mukulu to its list of individuals designated for a travel ban and asset freeze, the report notes.
The report is likely to add pressure on the government, which has been long accused of harbouring Rwandese fugitive Felicien Kabuga. Kenya has denied claims that the Rwandese fugitive is hiding in the country.

MY TAKE
As 2012 elections nearing with ethnical rhetorics gaining momentum, i won't be suprized if that can be a launching pad for Museveni launching his retaliation to Kenya, being aware of how volatile, the country becomes in every election! I wonder what will those militia be saying now KDF are in Somalia...!

[h=1]Kenya to probe report rebels use city as base[/h]
shareH.png
ico_bookmark.png
Bookmark
ico_print.png
Print
ico_email.png
Email Rating
PIX+3.jpg
By KEVIN KELLEY in New York AND PETER LEFTIE pmutibo@ke.nationmedia.com in Nairobi
In Summary

• UN says Nairobi is Ugandan Islamic militia group’s economic and financial hub

Kenya has promised to investigate reports that a Ugandan rebel group is recruiting Somali refugees living in the country to topple President Yoweri Museveni’s government.

Internal Security assistant minister Orwa Ojode denied knowledge of the presence of Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) elements in the country.

“I am not aware of any rebel groups in Kenya, give me time to counter-check the information because I’ve been away in China,” said Mr Ojode.

A new report released by the United Nations claims that the rebel group is using Nairobi as its economic and financial hub.

“Nairobi has served as the hub of ADF economic and financial activities,” says the report by a group of experts investigating compliance with UN sanctions against rebel groups operating in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Share This Story
28Share

Described by the panel as “a Ugandan Islamist rebel force” seeking to overthrow the Ugandan government, the ADF is said to include about 1,000 combatants.

It has recently recaptured a territory lost to the DRC military, the report says.

Kenyan authorities raided a Nairobi home a few months ago and captured one of the sons of ADF leader Jamil Mukulu, the UN panel reports.

In October, a UN sanctions committee added Mukulu to its list of individuals designated for a travel ban and asset freeze, the report notes.

The report is likely to add pressure on the government, which has been long accused of harbouring Rwandese fugitive Felicien Kabuga. Kenya has denied claims that the Rwandese fugitive is hiding in the country.

PIX+3.jpg
Uganda's President Yoweri
MY TAKE
As 2012 elections nearing with ethnical rhetorics gaining momentum, i won't be suprized if that can be a launching pad for Museveni launching his retaliation to Kenya, being aware of how volatile, the country becomes in every election! I wonder what will those militia be saying now KDF are in Somalia...!

M7 is trying to chew more than he can swallow. He is using that to throw off the Ugandan people from his falling popularity back home.

PIX+3.jpg
In Summary

• UN says Nairobi is Ugandan Islamic militia group’s economic and financial hub

Kenya has promised to investigate reports that a Ugandan rebel group is recruiting Somali refugees living in the country to topple President Yoweri Museveni’s government.
“I am not aware of any rebel groups in Kenya, give me time to counter-check the information because I’ve been away in China,” said Mr Ojode.
“Nairobi has served as the hub of ADF economic and financial activities,” says the report by a group of experts investigating compliance with UN sanctions against rebel groups operating in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Described by the panel as “a Ugandan Islamist rebel force” seeking to overthrow the Ugandan government, the ADF is said to include about 1,000 combatants.

MY TAKE

@geza, why did you rephrase the title of my thread?

MY TAKE

Kenya's move on taking the KDF to Somalia is one of the worst political blunders of which she would face consequences in ways even she Kenya would never have anticipated.... As much as Museveni is a maneuverer... the issue in hand is way beyond sufficient back boned justification of retaliation.

MY TAKE

Would you please clarify what justifies m7's retaliation to Kenya. Already, Ugandan economy is living in a state of hand 2 mouth. We are witnessing in Kenya currently a massive influx of Ugandan citizens. How much more pain are Ugandans willing to bear if, m7's is allegedly contemplating of such plans

News
Kenya risks row with Uganda over ADF militia

trio.jpg

Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni in talks with Kenyan Foreign minister Moses Wetangula and Defence minister Yusuf Haji at State House, Entebbe in Uganda. Mr Museveni restated support for Kenya operation in Somalia November 10, 2011 PPS. But now Kenya and Uganda could be headed for a collision course following UN reports that a Ugandan rebel group, the resurgent Allied Democratic Forces (ADF), is using Nairobi as a financial hub for its armed campaign to overthrow President Museveni.

Kenya and Uganda could be headed for a collision course following UN reports that a Ugandan rebel group, the resurgent Allied Democratic Forces (ADF), is using Nairobi as a financial hub for its armed campaign to overthrow President Yoweri Museveni.
The UN report says that the ADF, based in Democratic Republic of Congo, recaptured territory it had lost to the DRC military and thereafter swung into action, recruiting Somali refugees living in Kenya to topple the Ugandan government.
Kenyan Assistant Minster for Internal Security Joshua Orwa Ojode maintained that the government is investigating the matter and is yet to find proof that ADF is in Nairobi.
"We do not have concrete evidence but we are investigating the matter. We are working on the basis of the report and we don't necessarily have to wait for the Ugandans to complain," he said.
Ugandan officials remained tight-lipped over this development, saying it is a highly sensitive and explosive matter.
"I cannot discuss a security matter this sensitive with the press," State Minister for Defence General Jeje Odongo said when asked if government had contacted Kenyan authorities over the matter.
However, the media in Uganda quoted senior government officials saying that Kenya must identify, arrest or expel ADF from its territory as well as dismantle all its economic activities.
Foreign Affairs State Minister Henry Okello-Oryem is quoted as having told privately-owned Radio One that the Kenyan government committed to the International Conference on Great Lakes Region pact that mandates all partner states not to host in their territory elements perceived to be hostile to partner states.
Mr Okello-Oryem said although the two countries have close working relations on fighting terrorism in the region, Kenya should do more to ensure that the ADF does not find a safe haven in Nairobi.
Signs of an ADF presence in Nairobi came a few months ago, when Kenyan security agencies raided a Nairobi home and captured one of the sons of ADF leader Jamil Mukulu. Investigations revealed that Mr Mukulu owns property in Nairobi.
ADF, made up of mostly Ugandan Muslims, emerged in 1996 citing marginalisation of the Muslim faith in Uganda as its cause. The group also wanted to introduce Sharia law in Uganda.
Should the ADF escalate tensions between Kenya and Uganda, it would not be the first time the two neighbours experienced such tension.
In mid 1980s, the then president Daniel arap Moi, accused Uganda of sending disgruntled Kenyan elements to Libya for military training with the purpose of overturning his government.
The relations between Kenya and Uganda were at their lowest, given that Moi suspected Museveni, who had just come to power through the gun, of seeking to export his revolutionary ideology to Kenya.
But the biggest crisis came in mid 1990s, when a group calling itself the February Eighteen Revolutionary Army based in Kampala sought to overthrow the Moi regime.
due to its high-handed suppression of human rights.
Initially based in the Ruwenzori Mountains, ADF is a combination of fundamentalist Tabliq Muslim rebels and remnants of another rebel group, the National Army for the Liberation of Uganda.
It has claimed responsibility for a string of arson attacks and bomb blasts that rocked Uganda in the late 1990s.
Uganda entered DRC in 1996, with Museveni saying they were pursuiing ADF.
ADF has not made incursions in recent years, at least since the 2000s, but their leaders remain alive and active, living in the Congo, but also flying regularly to Khartoum and the Middle East.
Given that their Sources of income points to Arab-Muslim connections, it lends credence to the UN report that the group has been recruiting Somali refugees in Kenya.
Should the ADF escalate tensions between Kenya and Uganda, it would not be the first time the two neighbours experience tension between them because of activities of their citizens.
In mid 1980s, the then president Daniel arap Moi, accused Uganda of carting away Kenyan disgruntled elements to Libya for military training with the purpose of overturning his government.
The relations between Kenya and Uganda was at its lowest, given that Moi was suspecting Museveni, who had just come to power through the gun, of seeking to export his revolutionary ideologies to Kenya.
But the biggest tension came in mid 1990s, when a group calling itself, February Eighteen Revolutionary Army led by Patrick Wangamati, sought to overthrow the Moi regime due to its high-handed suppression of human rights.
Security and Defence in Uganda say only the army and Ministry of Defence spokesman can speak to the press about this matter. He however could not get back to The EastAfrican by press time as he was in meetings with his bosses.
Kenya risks row with Uganda over ADF militia *- News*|theeastafrican.co.ke

MY TAKE
Though the two leaders of Kenya and Uganda dine and wine together under the pretext of one East Africa state, the land of Harambee is harboring accounts and transact a rebel group finances that aim to topple Museveni from its base within DRC. I should ask those Kenyans that bamboozle Tanzania with derogative sentiments everyday, can they be relied upon? Is there anything we can learn from them? Of recently on the Nationmedia a UN report exposed a Kenyan syndicate that has been smuggling tonnes of blood gold from DRC via Nairobi to SE Asian countries like Thailand! Guess what the comments (Kenyans named in Congo gold scam *- Africa*|nation.co.ke) of the majority of Nationmedia readers ( i assume Kenyans) were supportive of that illicit trade on the base that "if Kenya benefits" irrespective of whether the deal is clean or dirty! What has gone wrong with these people minds? What if that would have been the spirit of Kenya's neighbors during the 2007 PEV mayhem when the country was volatile? imagine Tanzania and Uganda supporting the factions there were fighting i.e. among the Luo,
Kalenjins and Kikuyu to fight on!?

When countries mistrust each other there are reasons behind and to solve that untrustworthy atmosphere it takes more than derogative sentiments we see everyday on our neighbor's media against Tanzania's stand on issue of land and overall security since over 80% of great lakes conflicts are land based be it on state boundaries (Migingo, Ilemi triangle, Lake Albert border, Lake Nyasa et al) or ancestral land between tribes or grazing land or agricultural land! And none of our politicians in this region have so far taken the situation serious apart from believing the situation will die out naturally...Pls let the Tanzanians have all their time to weigh out options

News
Kenya risks row with Uganda over ADF militia

trio.jpg

Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni in talks with Kenyan Foreign minister Moses Wetangula and Defence minister Yusuf Haji at State House, Entebbe in Uganda. Mr Museveni restated support for Kenya operation in Somalia November 10, 2011 PPS. But now Kenya and Uganda could be headed for a collision course following UN reports that a Ugandan rebel group, the resurgent Allied Democratic Forces (ADF), is using Nairobi as a financial hub for its armed campaign to overthrow President Museveni.

Kenya and Uganda could be headed for a collision course following UN reports that a Ugandan rebel group, the resurgent Allied Democratic Forces (ADF), is using Nairobi as a financial hub for its armed campaign to overthrow President Yoweri Museveni.
The UN report says that the ADF, based in Democratic Republic of Congo, recaptured territory it had lost to the DRC military and thereafter swung into action, recruiting Somali refugees living in Kenya to topple the Ugandan government.
Kenyan Assistant Minster for Internal Security Joshua Orwa Ojode maintained that the government is investigating the matter and is yet to find proof that ADF is in Nairobi.
"We do not have concrete evidence but we are investigating the matter. We are working on the basis of the report and we don't necessarily have to wait for the Ugandans to complain," he said.
Ugandan officials remained tight-lipped over this development, saying it is a highly sensitive and explosive matter.
"I cannot discuss a security matter this sensitive with the press," State Minister for Defence General Jeje Odongo said when asked if government had contacted Kenyan authorities over the matter.
However, the media in Uganda quoted senior government officials saying that Kenya must identify, arrest or expel ADF from its territory as well as dismantle all its economic activities.
Foreign Affairs State Minister Henry Okello-Oryem is quoted as having told privately-owned Radio One that the Kenyan government committed to the International Conference on Great Lakes Region pact that mandates all partner states not to host in their territory elements perceived to be hostile to partner states.
Mr Okello-Oryem said although the two countries have close working relations on fighting terrorism in the region, Kenya should do more to ensure that the ADF does not find a safe haven in Nairobi.
Signs of an ADF presence in Nairobi came a few months ago, when Kenyan security agencies raided a Nairobi home and captured one of the sons of ADF leader Jamil Mukulu. Investigations revealed that Mr Mukulu owns property in Nairobi.
ADF, made up of mostly Ugandan Muslims, emerged in 1996 citing marginalisation of the Muslim faith in Uganda as its cause. The group also wanted to introduce Sharia law in Uganda.
Should the ADF escalate tensions between Kenya and Uganda, it would not be the first time the two neighbours experienced such tension.
In mid 1980s, the then president Daniel arap Moi, accused Uganda of sending disgruntled Kenyan elements to Libya for military training with the purpose of overturning his government.
The relations between Kenya and Uganda were at their lowest, given that Moi suspected Museveni, who had just come to power through the gun, of seeking to export his revolutionary ideology to Kenya.
But the biggest crisis came in mid 1990s, when a group calling itself the February Eighteen Revolutionary Army based in Kampala sought to overthrow the Moi regime.
due to its high-handed suppression of human rights.
Initially based in the Ruwenzori Mountains, ADF is a combination of fundamentalist Tabliq Muslim rebels and remnants of another rebel group, the National Army for the Liberation of Uganda.
It has claimed responsibility for a string of arson attacks and bomb blasts that rocked Uganda in the late 1990s.
Uganda entered DRC in 1996, with Museveni saying they were pursuiing ADF.
ADF has not made incursions in recent years, at least since the 2000s, but their leaders remain alive and active, living in the Congo, but also flying regularly to Khartoum and the Middle East.
Given that their Sources of income points to Arab-Muslim connections, it lends credence to the UN report that the group has been recruiting Somali refugees in Kenya.
Should the ADF escalate tensions between Kenya and Uganda, it would not be the first time the two neighbours experience tension between them because of activities of their citizens.
In mid 1980s, the then president Daniel arap Moi, accused Uganda of carting away Kenyan disgruntled elements to Libya for military training with the purpose of overturning his government.
The relations between Kenya and Uganda was at its lowest, given that Moi was suspecting Museveni, who had just come to power through the gun, of seeking to export his revolutionary ideologies to Kenya.
But the biggest tension came in mid 1990s, when a group calling itself, February Eighteen Revolutionary Army led by Patrick Wangamati, sought to overthrow the Moi regime due to its high-handed suppression of human rights.
Security and Defence in Uganda say only the army and Ministry of Defence spokesman can speak to the press about this matter. He however could not get back to The EastAfrican by press time as he was in meetings with his bosses.
Kenya risks row with Uganda over ADF militia *- News*|theeastafrican.co.ke

MY TAKE
Though the two leaders of Kenya and Uganda dine and wine together under the pretext of one East Africa state, the land of Harambee is harboring accounts and transact a rebel group finances that aim to topple Museveni from its base within DRC. I should ask those Kenyans that bamboozle Tanzania with derogative sentiments everyday, can they be relied upon? Is there anything we can learn from them? Of recently on the Nationmedia a UN report exposed a Kenyan syndicate that has been smuggling tonnes of blood gold from DRC via Nairobi to SE Asian countries like Thailand! Guess what the comments (Kenyans named in Congo gold scam *- Africa*|nation.co.ke) of the majority of Nationmedia readers ( i assume Kenyans) were supportive of that illicit trade on the base that "if Kenya benefits" irrespective of whether the deal is clean or dirty! What has gone wrong with these people minds? What if that would have been the spirit of Kenya's neighbors during the 2007 PEV mayhem when the country was volatile? imagine Tanzania and Uganda supporting the factions i.e. among the Luo, Kikuyu and Kalenjins to fight on!?

When countries mistrust each other there are reasons behind and to solve that untrustworthy atmosphere it takes more than derogative sentiments we see everyday on our neighbor's media against Tanzania's stand on issue of land and overall security since over 80% of great lakes conflicts are land based be it on state boundaries (Migingo, Ilemi triangle, Lake Albert border, Lake Nyasa et al) or ancestral land between tribes or grazing land or agricultural land! And none of our politicians in this region have so far taken the situation serious apart from believing the situation will die out naturally...Pls let the Tanzanians have all their time to weigh out options

Hakuna mada yenye uzito hapa, all UN propaganda to throw this region of East africa into armed conflicts, just as it has succeded to acomplish in west africa.

MY TAKE
Though the two leaders of Kenya and Uganda dine and wine together under the pretext of one East Africa state, the land of Harambee is harboring accounts and transact a rebel group finances that aim to topple Museveni from its base within DRC. I should ask those Kenyans that bamboozle Tanzania with derogative sentiments everyday, can they be relied upon? Is there anything we can learn from them? Of recently on the Nationmedia a UN report exposed a Kenyan syndicate that has been smuggling tonnes of blood gold from DRC via Nairobi to SE Asian countries like Thailand! Guess what the comments (Kenyans named in Congo gold scam *- Africa*|nation.co.ke) of the majority of Nationmedia readers ( i assume Kenyans) were supportive of that illicit trade on the base that "if Kenya benefits" irrespective of whether the deal is clean or dirty! What has gone wrong with these people minds? What if that would have been the spirit of Kenya's neighbors during the 2007 PEV mayhem when the country was volatile? imagine Tanzania and Uganda supporting the factions i.e. among the Luo, Kikuyu and Kalenjins to fight on!?

You are shifting goalposts! you are talking of tribe (luo, kikuyu, kalenjin) PEV. you are also talking tanzania stand on land. Could you remove the land issue or otherwise what is your objective & the point of contention if you want to anlayze the rift between kenya & uganda leadership.

You are shifting goalposts! you are talking of tribe (luo, kikuyu, kalenjin) PEV. you are also talking tanzania stand on land. Could you remove the land issue or otherwise what is your objective & the point of contention if you want to anlayze the rift between kenya & uganda leadership.

Three issues have been highlighted read again to understand

Three issues have been highlighted read again to understand

What seems very conspicuous of the newspaper article is the fact that Nairobi is a financially supporting the DRC rebels. To say Nairobi, that is too general. I wish their was a dossier, or evidence, or something to back up those claims. To me, I cannot even see the Somali issue of toppling m7 government because there can be no link when it comes to terrorism in East africa and alleged coup attempts to M7 government. That president has had mistrust with even his own kinsmen that hold key positions in the government. If there are any investigations to commence, they should commence from Kampala down coming to NBI. there are so many financial schemes worldwide that support these militia. For the case of the DRC militia, recently there was unrest among the Congolese living in France over the President Joseph kabila's e-election. So rebels are hitting hard at DRC. Again, I have just seen Congolese immigrants to Kenya named. The other kenyan's name has been withheld 4 reasons do not know.

What seems very conspicuous of the newspaper article is the fact that Nairobi is a financially supporting the DRC rebels. To say Nairobi, that is too general. I wish their was a dossier, or evidence, or something to back up those claims. To me, I cannot even see the Somali issue of toppling m7 government because there can be no link when it comes to terrorism in East africa and alleged coup attempts to M7 government. That president has had mistrust with even his own kinsmen that hold key positions in the government. If there are any investigations to commence, they should commence from Kampala down coming to NBI. there are so many financial schemes worldwide that support these militia. For the case of the DRC militia, recently there was unrest among the Congolese living in France over the President Joseph kabila's e-election. So rebels are hitting hard at DRC. Again, I have just seen Congolese immigrants to Kenya named. The other kenyan's name has been withheld 4 reasons do not know.

Nairobi is acting as a transit point for ADF money i.e. Kenyan banks are keeping there money that's the point! Who knows if these behind the backs manoeuvrings are as a result of the Migingo issue! Or as a result of Uganda continuing isolating Kenya on their economic prospects that looks bright after oil discovery!

Nairobi is acting as a transit point for ADF money i.e. Kenyan banks are keeping there money that's the point! Who knows if these behind the backs manoeuvrings are as a result of the Migingo issue! Or as a result of Uganda continuing isolating Kenya on their economic prospects that looks bright after oil discovery!

3526970977_eb099f08bd_o.jpg

The migingo issue as you know it is that Uganda's occupancy is a direct violation of Kenya's territorial borders. I need not to say more. let him beware even if he isolates himself on grounds of oil discovery, that alone has made him a target by western powers to be manipulated as their servant. And even if that was the case South Sudan has oil reserves as well. Somalia has uranium deposits, gas and oil reserves so that won't be much of an issue.

Attachments

• migingo.jpg
    migingo.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 63
Back
Top Bottom